Oregon State’s Ben Wetzler Suspended 11 Games By NCAA

Baseball agents are the sleeziest bunch going right now and I'd like to see the teams taking stands against the worst of them.

the whole "adviser" thing is a farce.

Baseball agents are the sleeziest bunch going right now and I'd like to see the teams taking stands against the worst of them.

the whole "adviser" thing is a farce.

Totally disagree Fryeguy. No comparison to football and basketball agents. When did you ever read about a baseball player losing eligibility because he took money from an agent. This rule the NCAA has is wrong. A player should be able to use an agent/advisor to assist them in negotiating a contract to help that player in his decision to sign or not
. If the contract is signed then the agent receives pay and if not then he receives nothing. What is wrong with that. You have a multi billion dollar group(MLB) negotiating with a high school or college player and his family which in most cases without an agent/ advisor would not have a clue about the system. This is more an NCAA rule that needs to be changed and I am sure it will soon be. The Phillies were pissed that this guy didn't sign and they lose that amount of $ so they turn him in to the NCAA. Very poor on their part and you already read the backlash toward them from people in the game.

Totally disagree Fryeguy. No comparison to football and basketball agents. When did you ever read about a baseball player losing eligibility because he took money from an agent. This rule the NCAA has is wrong. A player should be able to use an agent/advisor to assist them in negotiating a contract to help that player in his decision to sign or not
. If the contract is signed then the agent receives pay and if not then he receives nothing. What is wrong with that. You have a multi billion dollar group(MLB) negotiating with a high school or college player and his family which in most cases without an agent/ advisor would not have a clue about the system. This is more an NCAA rule that needs to be changed and I am sure it will soon be. The Phillies were pissed that this guy didn't sign and they lose that amount of $ so they turn him in to the NCAA. Very poor on their part and you already read the backlash toward them from people in the game.

Two Words....Scott Boras.

There are slimier agents in other sports but they are laughed at. Boras and people like him actually have power. That's what makes them detrimental.

I think the "farce" is the NCAA not allowing a player to have representation for discussions with MLB and yet, the same player will have a lawyer at the NCAA hearing.

This is a perfect example of why the Phillies have become such a joke. None of the other MLB teams have turned amateur players in for having representation/assistance during negotiations, so it's pretty clear that this was a case of extreme butthurt. I'm glad it blew up in the organization's face.

EGGERS: OSU's Ben Wetzler still has one pitch to make

Wetzler will save his final pitch for the public and perhaps for the NCAA, when he decides the time is right.

"I haven't told my side of the story," he said after the fourth-ranked Beavers' 13-2 win over Wright State. "Sometime in the future, I'll let myself do that. Right now, I want to focus on my team and winning games."

VN Store

Back