Dave Serrano Previews Diamond Vols Season

VN News

Tennessee baseball head coach Dave Serrano previewed the 2014 season, announced the Vols starting rotation and spoke on many other Diamond Vols topics on Monday.

More...

Discuss.

Holy smokes! Coach is for real about all this stuff. I've heard the confidence before, but not for this long and this passionately. "A.J. Simcox WILL be a big leaguer... Scott Price is the best hitter in the SEC..." The way he is baffled by the media not giving the team enough respect. I really hope these guys are either as good as he thinks they are or they are prepared to be humbled by the best conference in baseball. The booming confidence makes me a little uneasy. (also a bit excited, but mostly uneasy)

Vols have 9-12 guys who can play in the field and hit at the SEC level. However, they still do not have a single pitcher who would be a weekend guy for the top 6-8 teams in the SEC.

With Freshmen and Soph pitchers, you will see some very solid outings and some real quick outings by young talented guys. The trick will be to get enough solid outings to get to Hoover.

I think the media (and the other SEC coaches) have given this team respect--certainly more respect than the last few years. The coaches poll has them qualifying for Hoover. Several previews mention them as a possible regional team and speak well of the talent being assembled. Simcox and Stewart are listed among College Baseball Daily's top 100 college players. Kyle Serrano tabbed for pre-season conference honors. It has been a while since I've read upbeat pre-season comments like I'm seeing this year.

Tennessee Baseball ‏@Vol_Baseball · 7m
#Vols A.J. Simcox (#14), Christin Stewart (#25), Drake Owenby (#39) & Vincent Jackson (#78) named to @PerfectGameUSA top 100 sophomore list.

VN Store

Back