CBD Season Preview: SEC

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2014/01/21/2014-cbd-season-preview-sec/#more-51050

If the Vols have any hopes of playing in the postseason they must fix a pitching staff that struggled mightily in 2013. Pitching gave up double digit runs in SEC play 8 times and on the season had a team ERA of 5.37.

No revelations, but interesting, brief looks at the SEC teams.

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2014-cbd-top-100-players-countdown/

Stewart comes in at #61, Simcox at #42...

Although Stewart`s offensive skills are the strength of his game, his time in Alaska has significantly improved his defensive play and will definitely be a player to watch as he returns to Tennessee for his sophomore season in 2014.

As a freshman with the Vols, he (Simcox) appeared in 50 games starting 48 matchups. AJ ended up finishing the year with a .283 batting average with 26 RBI. He struggled on the defensive side of the game by committing 19 errors while having a fielding percentage of .923.

Last edited:
Sounds like baseball is headed in the right direction. I also thought I read a quote from Serrano somewhere that he's feeling a little cocky about our team (personally, I like that when a coach is openly confident about the talent he has).

I'm hopeful for a surprise year from these guys. Would be nice to be surprised by a major sport in a positive way for once.

It may be remarkable how much better the Vols look this year imo. I haven't seen them play in a couple of years other than a little on TV but here is my thinking. CDS has quietly build a pretty good young team of position players. The young guys hit, field and execute at a level comparable to the better half of the SEC. If he has brought in a couple of SEC caliber pitchers this year ( which I believe he has ) then suddenly you are winning 5 -3 those games that you have been losing 9 -5. In a perfect world you would have 3 or 4 strong starters, but I would be excited if we had 2 quality guys.

What do you think the rotation will look like this year?

What do you think the rotation will look like this year?

All I can do at this point is base it off what I saw last year, this past summer and one fall scrimmage.

Nick Williams seems like a weekend starter. Owenby would move to closer, in a perfect world. However, I think Owenby is going to get a shot at being a starter first. I think Andrew Lee has a shot and I think Kyle Serrano will probably get a shot as well.

Those are kind of the "known" commodities. You also have Charpie, Bettencourt (who really had a pretty good summer), Eric Martin, Andy Cox and Saberhagen for relief and the mid week games.

Then there are a few guys I just don't know about yet. I plan on going to the practices this weekend if it's not stupid cold and I'll get to check out a few of these guys.

At this stage I'd guess, Serrano, Lee/Owenby, Williams would be the weekend starters....just guessing at this point, just guessing. :p

GBO!

Vol66 some names that I've viewed as possible depth and relief guys are Vanderford, Peterson, Marks, Grotz and Lentrohm. I think Hunter Martin could be looked as a starter too. From the fall I believe some of the returnees who didn't have good years last year on the mound may be passed up. The good thing is CDS finally has some choices. I also believe the everyday players have much competition also.

Vol66 some names that I've viewed as possible depth and relief guys are Vanderford, Peterson, Marks, Grotz and Lentrohm. I think Hunter Martin could be looked as a starter too. From the fall I believe some of the returnees who didn't have good years last year on the mound may be passed up. The good thing is CDS finally has some choices. I also believe the everyday players have much competition also.

Yes, very well could be. Most of the guys you mentioned are going to get some scrimmage time this weekend and I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do. It is, of course, just the first week of practice, but it will be interesting how the innings get divided up as we go along. Guys like Quillen, Esparza and Kidd are already gone. Should be interesting.

If the starters can give UT 6 solid innings each time out, I would take that in a heartbeat.

VN Store

Back