Perfect Game Names Serrano Top Freshman

VN News

First year Diamond Vol Kyle Serrano, a right handed-pitcher from Farragut, has garnered some preseason attention from Perfect Game, one of the nation's top baseball scouting service.

More...

Discuss.

Congrats to KS! The season can't get here fast enough. GBO!

Any relation?

YEP
PERSONAL
• Full name is Kyle David Serrano
• Born July 6, 1995
• His father is Tennessee head coach Dave Serrano, mother is Krista Knowles and stepmother is Tracy Serrano
• Has two younger brothers, Zach and Parker
• Lists his father as the biggest sports influence on his life

Quite an honor for Kyle! It's good to see some UT guys in the spotlight again. I hope that we can hang on to these guys for at least two years. They would certainly help elevate UT's program. However, I'm sure he will leave after this year. And who could blame him?

KS will not be able to sign for 3 years. That's the rule for baseball. This team is Fresh/Soph strong and will be very competitive for years to come.

Reactions: 1 person
KS will not be able to sign for 3 years. That's the rule for baseball. This team is Fresh/Soph strong and will be very competitive for years to come.

Not exactly correct... you can be drafted if you are 21 irregardless of college eligibility.

Certain groups of players are ineligible for selection, generally because they are still in school. The basic categories of players eligible to be drafted are:

College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old;

KS looks like he turned 19 last summer, I don't know if the 21 year old means 21 on draft day or when he can sign with pro teams.

First-Year Player Draft Rules | MLB.com: Events

I was unaware of the 21 year old rule until last season when one of my son's hs teammates was drafted after his sophomore year at Belmont.

Last edited:
I just saw on the roster that KS just turned 18. So he is a young freshman as is Nick Senzel. They will play whole freshmen year as 18 year olds.

I just saw on the roster that KS just turned 18. So he is a young freshman as is Nick Senzel. They will play whole freshmen year as 18 year olds.

Yep you are right.... I thought I read born in July 1994, but it is 1995. So the 21 rule does not apply!

VN Store

Back