Postseason Baseball Thread

vol2013

Probably belongs in the around the NCAA thread since it won't involve us, but not sure how many would see it there.

This Arkansas pitching staff is going to make them really dangerous in the NCAA tournament. Looking good against LSU again

Also Virginia Tech has had an impressive week.

10-1 win vs. #5 Virginia
3-2 win vs #7 Florida State
3-2 win vs. Georgia Tech

Also Virginia Tech has had an impressive week.

10-1 win vs. #5 Virginia
3-2 win vs #7 Florida State
3-2 win vs. Georgia Tech

I kind of like how the ACC tourney is formatted. Round-Robin play in two pools. Best records play for title.

Hokies clinched title game before even having to play today.

So every team is guaranteed 3-games. With a single bonus game after that. So a guaranteed 3-days stay. Easy to schedule around.

The SEC could still do this even if they went over 8-teams. However, the best way to make this format work for 10-12 teams would be to play at 2-parks in same city or area. Birmingham/Hoover; Knoxville/Kodak; Atlanta/Gwinnett;

If a conference could ever get to 16-schools. 16 teams could play in 4 round robin pools. (3 games) then a semi and a final. 5-days worth of games. No loser's bracket turmoil.

Last edited:
I'm rooting for GT since Tennessee isn't in the Tourny. I'd love to see GT finally win one. They do great in the regular season and burn out in the Tourny

Austin Peay 3 peats in the OVC. Longest win streak in the country at the moment with 15 in a row. They are 45-13 on the year.

I kind of like how the ACC tourney is formatted. Round-Robin play in two pools. Best records play for title.

Hokies clinched title game before even having to play today.

So every team is guaranteed 3-games. With a single bonus game after that. So a guaranteed 3-days stay. Easy to schedule around.

The SEC could still do this even if they went over 8-teams. However, the best way to make this format work for 10-12 teams would be to play at 2-parks in same city or area. Birmingham/Hoover; Knoxville/Kodak; Atlanta/Gwinnett;

If a conference could ever get to 16-schools. 16 teams could play in 4 round robin pools. (3 games) then a semi and a final. 5-days worth of games. No loser's bracket turmoil.

I thought the exact same thing when looking at it. Not much of a fan of the current SEC format. For starters don't see 12 out of 14 teams ever legitimately belonging in hoover, and also don't like the fact that teams ranked as high as a 6 seed have to play a single elimination game to start things off.

I'd like to see GT beat South Carolina and win the Columbia,SC Regional(If one of those projections is correct)

Yeah, not sure how much stock I'd put in the first one at this point. It is kind of outdated at this point after things like Virginia Tech's run in the ACC tournament. I put it up just because I know perfect game is generally credible, not so sure on chasing omaha's credibility

If chasing omaha is right though, Ga Tech would be in trouble opening game against Jonathan Gray

Automatic bids

Oklahoma
Connecticut
Indiana
Rice
San Diego State
Bryant
Binghamton
Saint Louis
Valparaiso
Columbia
Bowling Green
Canisius
Savannah State
Wichita State
Austin Peay
Army
South Dakota State
Jackson State
University of Texas at San Antonio
UNC
LSU
Oregon State
Liberty
San Diego
ETSU
Towson
Elon
Central Arkansas

Will be a good amount of Tennessee teams in with ETSU pulling out the conference championship game victory today

Vanderbilt tied it up, but then LSU ended up winning 5-4

Even though Vandy lost, they should still have home field advantage locked up for the regionals, if not a super regional, assuming they advance that far.

Depending on how both teams do over the next few weeks, today's game may well be a preview of the championship series in Omaha.

Even though Vandy lost, they should still have home field advantage locked up for the regionals, if not a super regional, assuming they advance that far.

Depending on how both teams do over the next few weeks, today's game may well be a preview of the championship series in Omaha.

Agreed, and as much as I would love to see Vandy choke before that I wouldn't mind seeing a Vandy vs. LSU finals. It would be a great series.

Baton Rouge, LA (LSU)
Columbia, SC (South Carolina)
Nashville, TN (Vanderbilt)
Starkville, MS (Mississippi State)

Blacksburg, VA (Virginia Tech)
Charlottesville, VA (Virginia)
Chapel Hill, NC (North Carolina)
Raleigh, NC (NC State)
Tallahassee, FL (Florida State)

Corvallis, OR (Oregon State)
Eugene, OR (Oregon)
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)

Fullerton, CA (Cal State Fullerton)
Louisville, KY (Louisville)
Manhattan, KS (Kansas State)
Bloomington, IN (Indiana)

So, 4 SEC teams are among the de facto top-16 teams. I believe Arkansas was hosed.
5 ACC teams are hosting which I feel is a bit of a stretch.
3-Pac12 teams. 1 Big12 team. 1 Big10 team

LSU and Vandy are obvious Top 8 seeds. I suspect the selection committee will pair up Miss State or South Carolina with the LSU region to eliminate an extra SEC team.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back