BASEBALL CENTRAL: Vols vs. Texas A&M

VN News

Tennessee puts its SEC Tournament hopes on the line when it hosts Texas A&M to close out the 2013 regular season, May 16-18.

More...

Discuss.

Well, they have VJax down as a probable starter there. I hope what I heard today on the radio was wrong...still...based on the fact that yesterday they were still waiting on a medical report...Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Could be coach taking the other coach by surprise too, I 's'pose.

Will be interesting to see who gets the Sunday start. After Q's last few starts think you have to give someone else a shot.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I think if Q was going to be starting, it would be listed, would make sense. I'm gonna make my guess for Owenby.

I think if Q was going to be starting, it would be listed, would make sense. I'm gonna make my guess for Owenby.

Was my initial thought as well. Then got to thinking though if Godley gets a good performance and win tomorrow, then Williams goes 7 on Friday and we are in a close ball game who do you put in? I'd be tempted to give myself the best chance to win a 2nd game in the series and send Owenby out. Figure that last game is going to be difficult no matter who is starting as it is pretty going to be 4 innings at best from the starter and then bullpen russian roulette. Granted that is a lot of ifs.

Was my initial thought as well. Then got to thinking though if Godley gets a good performance and win tomorrow, then Williams goes 7 on Friday and we are in a close ball game who do you put in? I'd be tempted to give myself the best chance to win a 2nd game in the series and send Owenby out. Figure that last game is going to be difficult no matter who is starting as it is pretty going to be 4 innings at best from the starter and then bullpen russian roulette. Granted that is a lot of ifs.

Yeah, that's true, and I've been thinking about some alternatives as well. Eric Martin has looked okay. I know this sounds crazy, especially if Godley goes the distance or close to it, but I wonder if we might see him in more than one game this weekend. Too crazy?

Yeah, that's true, and I've been thinking about some alternatives as well. Eric Martin has looked okay. I know this sounds crazy, especially if Godley goes the distance or close to it, but I wonder if we might see him in more than one game this weekend. Too crazy?

I could see Eric Martin, he has atleast been able to throw strikes. It drives me nuts how many pitchers we have had chased out of a game not because they are getting hit, but because they manage to walk 3+ batters in an inning. The whole Godley pitching twice thing was why I looked to see if the rotation was flipped with the thought of trying Godley as the friday night closer and Sunday night starter again. Though that didn't work out to well the first time. I'm sure Godley would be willing to pitch a second game in the last series of his career, but I'm not sure any pitcher has it in them to pitch on 1 days rest after a start. Any chance we can find R.A. Dickey an extra game of eligibility?

I could see Eric Martin, he has atleast been able to throw strikes. It drives me nuts how many pitchers we have had chased out of a game not because they are getting hit, but because they manage to walk 3+ batters in an inning. The whole Godley pitching twice thing was why I looked to see if the rotation was flipped with the thought of trying Godley as the friday night closer and Sunday night starter again. Though that didn't work out to well the first time. I'm sure Godley would be willing to pitch a second game in the last series of his career, but I'm not sure any pitcher has it in them to pitch on 1 days rest after a start. Any chance we can find R.A. Dickey an extra game of eligibility?

Not sure we can afford R.A....What's Steckenrider up to these days? :)

Nah, I'm just talkin, if by some miracle we're still in it on Sunday, with a one run lead in the 8th, and in walks "The Bull".

Nah, I'm just talkin, if by some miracle we're still in it on Sunday, with a one run lead in the 8th, and in walks "The Bull".

Meh, we can just use some of the Gruden money :)

I'm still hoping we win the first 2, Mizzou loses the first 2 and we have a stress free last game and get to see Godley again in Hoover. Ofcourse things ever turned out how I hope then we wouldn't even be having this discussion as Blake Thomas would have build off his solid 6.1 innings performance at the Hokie-Smokie classic to become a good Sunday option.

Meh, we can just use some of the Gruden money :)

I'm still hoping we win the first 2, Mizzou loses the first 2 and we have a stress free last game and get to see Godley again in Hoover. Ofcourse things ever turned out how I hope then we wouldn't even be having this discussion as Blake Thomas would have build off his solid 6.1 innings performance at the Hokie-Smokie classic to become a good Sunday option.

Meh ~ If we had Gruden money HE'D BE HERE! I kid...just kidding...oof.

Honestly, I don't care how we get there, I'd just really like to pull it off, anyway possible.

Steck's on the DL, anyway. Don't know what injury.

Steck's on the DL, anyway. Don't know what injury.

That's something I've done a terrible job of this year...keeping up with how some of those guys are doing.

I miss that type of player, you know, been playing 1st the whole series and you throw him in as a pitcher at a crucial time and he gets it done.

That's something I've done a terrible job of this year...keeping up with how some of those guys are doing.

I've only kept up a little bit with some of the more recent guys.
Osborne is at High A, but only played a few games.
Gruver doing very well in A.
Toles is tearing it up at the plate and base paths.
Couple guys who recently went pro instead of becoming Vols (Logan Moore, Mookie Betts) aren't hitting much. Giacalone is a position player, not a pitcher; hasn't started hitting much yet.
Sal Romano, who went pro after going to summer school in 2011, is doing pretty good.

I've only kept up a little bit with some of the more recent guys.
Osborne is at High A, but only played a few games.
Gruver doing very well in A.
Toles is tearing it up at the plate and base paths.
Couple guys who recently went pro instead of becoming Vols (Logan Moore, Mookie Betts) aren't hitting much. Giacalone is a position player, not a pitcher; hasn't started hitting much yet.
Sal Romano, who went pro after going to summer school in 2011, is doing pretty good.

Really appreciate the info, I'll look em up, maybe do a post about those guys and how it's gone for them. GBO!

Good call on Martin. I know he didn't get the start, but solid outing none the less with 4 IP, 4 hits, 0 runs, 4 Ks, and 0 walks.

Martin and Charpie both looked good today. Saberhagen was getting too many pitches up in the zone early but he actually looked OK once he started working down in the zone. I still think Saberhagen should only be used to get one or two LH hitters out per game. He could be effective in that role.

Martin is the one pitcher who a) is better this year than last year, and b) got better this year over the course of the season. He could earn a bigger role next year.

VN Store

Back