AJ Simcox hitting .152, Fielding .908

Folks

It's extremely early...but Simcox is hitting .152 and has made 6 errors this year so far with .908 Fielding Percentage. That can't continue if he is the SS of an SEC team.

Last edited:
This isn't thread worthy. I don't usually asked mods for much but this deserves to be deleted or merged IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Ok, pal. Let's delete something that is fact based. I'm not bashing him and said it was extremely early to pass judgement. We've played the 10th toughest SOS as well so far.

Ok, pal. Let's delete something that is fact based. I'm not bashing him and said it was extremely early to pass judgement. We've played the 10th toughest SOS as well so far.

It shouldn't be deleted( i shouldnt have suggested that) but merged IMO. Just not thread worthy but its certainly worth discussion.

Last edited:
he'll be fine. stop looking at stats and go see him play. his actions at SS are plus and the bat will come around. he doesn't need to be a great hitter with his defense.

Well, 20% of the season has been played so far. It's not going to get much easier. He'll improve, just was expecting more with the bat thus far.

It's showing changed in the thread but not when you are viewing the the thread titles. Mods, please change title to what it shows in the thread.

Ok, I'm not a fan of players getting a lot of hype before they have any reason to. Usually (unless they are egomaniacs) the players realize it's not such a great thing either. It seems to be the whole "pride goes before a fall deal" and it never seems to go well. I do think it was wrong to give a freshman full ownership of the position without any competition. Any other player, and definitely last year, Serrano would have already yanked him out for at least a couple of games. That being said, this thread is JUST wrong. Simcox is what, 18? He is a really good baseball player and getting into his head with this negativity is not going to do anything to help the team. You want to mention freshmen in general, OK. Or even his performance in another thread, OK. But to start a thread to specifically bash one player? not OK.
And btw i don't think maddox should be getting all the hype as a sophomore either. Either it's a team sport or its not. You don't build team unity by singling out one guy as the team (think teacher's pet scenario).

Ok, I'm not a fan of players getting a lot of hype before they have any reason to. Usually (unless they are egomaniacs) the players realize it's not such a great thing either. It seems to be the whole "pride goes before a fall deal" and it never seems to go well. I do think it was wrong to give a freshman full ownership of the position without any competition. Any other player, and definitely last year, Serrano would have already yanked him out for at least a couple of games. That being said, this thread is JUST wrong. Simcox is what, 18? He is a really good baseball player and getting into his head with this negativity is not going to do anything to help the team. You want to mention freshmen in general, OK. Or even his performance in another thread, OK. But to start a thread to specifically bash one player? not OK.
And btw i don't think maddox should be getting all the hype as a sophomore either. Either it's a team sport or its not. You don't build team unity by singling out one guy as the team (think teacher's pet scenario).

I agree wholeheartedly about bashing an 18 year old. Even seniors are really just kids. I never want to intentionally put down a kid that comes out to play. That said, I don't think the intention of this thread was to put AJ down (unfortunately thats exactly what it did, someone please change the title of this thread!!). I do think its worth discussing whether or not we have other options out there at short. I dont think AJ needs to be punished nor do I think we necessarily have someone better, but a relief break might do the kid some good and cause him to relax a tad.

Maddox deserves his hype. He's a stud and there is nothing wrong with saying that. As a coach, Serrano has done a good job of answering the media's questions about him. He consistently talks about Will's selflessness, and how he puts team first. He applauds attitude 10x more than the results. That should not alienate anyone. I think this team really becomes something special by the end of the year, and if they do I think it will have as much to do with Will's leadership as anything.

Hasn't it been mainly his throws at SS?

A lot of times throws after making an off-balance stop. If he could better learn when to eat the ball rather than making an off balance throw with little chance of success, he'll be a lot better in the field.

Good lord people, I am not bashing him. I know he will improve and want him to light it up. I was thinking more of an impact thus far and he can still have that impact. Tony Delmonico hit like .335 as a frosh ss but he also struggled in the field.

Maddox does deserve the hype. The guy has gone all out in his short time here in adverse situations.

I'm sure there are a lot of things that Serrano is worried about with this team. However, AJ Simcox is not one of them. You would go broke betting against AJ over the course of this season. He has always been a winner and he will continue to be one.

Perhaps he should consider sitting our struggling freshman SS for a few games to help him regroup and gather his thoughts. Put Wormsley at SS in the meantime, he played SS in HS and was exceptional at that position. He also has a year under his belt and could upgrade that position immediately.

Good lord people, I am not bashing him. I know he will improve and want him to light it up. I was thinking more of an impact thus far and he can still have that impact. Tony Delmonico hit like .335 as a frosh ss but he also struggled in the field.

Maddox does deserve the hype. The guy has gone all out in his short time here in adverse situations.
Pretty sure delmonico was known more for his offense and used BESR bats

Baseball may be a team sport, but it focuses on individual play more than the other team sports. That's why players get singled out and focused on. Nothing wrong with that.

Perhaps he should consider sitting our struggling freshman SS for a few games to help him regroup and gather his thoughts. Put Wormsley at SS in the meantime, he played SS in HS and was exceptional at that position. He also has a year under his belt and could upgrade that position immediately.

I'm feeling this. They do it in the pros all the time. Sit a guy, let him clear his mind.

VN Store

Back