UNLV Edges Vols in 14 Innings, 3-2

VN News

In just the sixth game of 14 innings or more in Tennessee history, a two-out, walk-off single by UNLV's Joey Swanner gave the Rebels a 3-2 win on Sunday afternoon at Wilson Stadium.

More...

Discuss.

anyone know how good UNLVs program is? how do they measure up to other sec teams?

Patience. Lots of patience will be needed with this group. This early in the season, you have to look for the good things like:

1. Freshmen pitchers like Charpie, Quillen, and Cox had solid weekends.
2. Nick Williams was dominant out of the pen on Sunday.
3. This team never quit and battled hard in every game.
4. Price and Stewart had great weekends at the plate
5. At various times, Simcox, Houser, and Lee had big hits in pressure situations.
6. In two of the losses, the Vols battled back in the last inning and had tying and/or winning runs in scoring position and the last outs were recorded on hard hit balls.

Early in the year, attitude will be very important for this team to continue to improve. The talent is there, they are just going to need experience to go with it. If nothing else, the weekend was exciting and there are positives to build on.

They seem like they aren't down on themselves coming out of this weekend and are going to be working hard. Robbie Kidd put on Twitter that hes able to start throwing again today, that will be a huge addition to get him back for sure. Looking forward to Friday night.

UT left some runs on the field. 3rd base coach got a guy thrown out at home by 5 feet, cost us a 3-4 run inning. Vols looked good otherwise, the UNLV picture had a no hitter going into the 6th

UT left some runs on the field. 3rd base coach got a guy thrown out at home by 5 feet, cost us a 3-4 run inning. Vols looked good otherwise, the UNLV picture had a no hitter going into the 6th

Good point. Apparently, they feel as if they have to manufacture runs and take chances.......however, it sure hurts to give away outs on the bases.

Patience. Lots of patience will be needed with this group. This early in the season, you have to look for the good things like:

5. At various times, Simcox, Houser, and Lee had big hits in pressure situations.
6. In two of the losses, the Vols battled back in the last inning and had tying and/or winning runs in scoring position and the last outs were recorded on hard hit balls.

Early in the year, attitude will be very important for this team to continue to improve. The talent is there, they are just going to need experience to go with it. If nothing else, the weekend was exciting and there are positives to build on.

Let's not forget Freshmen Trevor Bettencourt who came in with runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs and the 3 4 5 hitters coming up. K'd up all 3 and went on to pitch 3 innings of no run no hit ball. 4 k's. team will get better

Reactions: 1 person

And if Williams had come out with that mentality Friday, the Vols would be 2-2 at worst. But I think the struggle Friday probably had him focused for Sunday.

I want to wait a couple of weeks before making a prediction. With 14 freshmen and a couple of quality juco guys, the ceiling is a LOT higher than the 20 wins projected earlier in the thread.

And if Williams had come out with that mentality Friday, the Vols would be 2-2 at worst. But I think the struggle Friday probably had him focused for Sunday.

I want to wait a couple of weeks before making a prediction. With 14 freshmen and a couple of quality juco guys, the ceiling is a LOT higher than the 20 wins projected earlier in the thread.

I sure hope your right but I am not getting my hopes up. Define ALOT higher than 20?

Playball, you are right about Bettencourt. He was very good.

Deerpark, you are probably right about Nick Williams. He is very competitive and wants the ball in tough situations. He will have more days like Sunday than Friday. I'll bet Godley will be a lot better in his next outing as well.

Serrano is only promising that this team will compete hard and be exciting to watch. So far, they have done that. They will learn from this weekend and continue to improve.

I sure hope your right but I am not getting my hopes up. Define ALOT higher than 20?

Again, I'm not ready to make a prediction. I would like to at least see them play with my own two eyes rather than the descriptions of a mediocre audio web stream.

Again, I'm not ready to make a prediction. I would like to at least see them play with my own two eyes rather than the descriptions of a mediocre audio web stream.

Fair enough. IMO this weekend series is one that shouldn't have been scheduled. This young team needed a gimmee weekend to get things going.

I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic, for now. Too early to tell who is going to come on, like maybe Kidd did last year. Plus, Kidd might be able to contribute at some point which would only help. Had CDS put Williams on the mound on sunday at the beginning of the ninth, that would likely have been a win. Of course, as Bruin stated, easy to say after the fact. I didn't get to see either saturday game...so I'm going on, about 1.5 games.

Godley can't afford bad outings, Williams has to deliever, Maddox has to be a leader. I'm really surprised that Bennett hasn't played at all. I would think his experience with CDS last year would be a big help to the young pitchers, just thinking out loud, of course. This weekend will be a good test and a somewhat better barometer of what we have imo.

Fair enough. IMO this weekend series is one that shouldn't have been scheduled. This young team needed a gimmee weekend to get things going.

Meh, we'll see. A big home opening weekend against ASU could do wonders for this team. ASU definitely showed that they can be hit this past weekend as there bullpen does not appear to have had that impressive of a weekend.

Godley can't afford bad outings, Williams has to deliever, Maddox has to be a leader. I'm really surprised that Bennett hasn't played at all. I would think his experience with CDS last year would be a big help to the young pitchers, just thinking out loud, of course. This weekend will be a good test and a somewhat better barometer of what we have imo.

They said on the UT broadcast Saturday that Bennett was available to pinch hit, but has a shoulder injury that has hampered his throwing, so he hasn't been in the lineup. It was said in explanation of Mannis getting the start in the second game Saturday.

They said on the UT broadcast Saturday that Bennett was available to pinch hit, but has a shoulder injury that has hampered his throwing, so he hasn't been in the lineup. It was said in explanation of Mannis getting the start in the second game Saturday.

Thanks DP, yeah I missed the saturday games, appreciate the info.

VN Store

Back