539 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Weekly Practice Schedule (10/8-14) Page 3. within the forum Tennessee Vols Baseball. yeah, clearly Serrano has a vendetta against Tennessee kids. do you just type the first irrational thought that comes to ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #31 (permalink)
Vomit Free Since 93
 
whocaresgobobcats's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 8,771
Likes: 2,205
yeah, clearly Serrano has a vendetta against Tennessee kids.


do you just type the first irrational thought that comes to your head.
whocaresgobobcats is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BruinVol's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16,202
Likes: 3,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1ArencibiaFan View Post
yeah, clearly Serrano has a vendetta against Tennessee kids.


do you just type the first irrational thought that comes to your head.
Its a long list of kids from tenn that are longer on his roster. Pretty darn big revolving door going on right now. The only thing irrational is the apr score that's heading the wrong direction at the moment.


Sorry to be so negative but there have been so many Tennessee kids shown the door since DS arrived(not saying allen was as I dont know his story). Perhaps DS is doing what is best and I hope he is but I hate it for our home state kids. DS is going to have to build this program up without the help of our state schools because of all this negative stuff. Sorry for the rant.

Last edited by BruinVol; 01-08-2013 at 09:53 PM..
BruinVol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Likes: 2
Sorry for chiming in but I'm a parent of a current member of Vol baseball. All this talk about some players moving on made me jump into this forum. From what I know none of these moves have anything to do with Tennessee players not being wanted by this staff. In fact I know first hand that there are MANY Tennessee boys who are very happy on this team. This is what I do know, Coltin Harris was eligible but did very poorly in school and was a huge academic threat as they moved on. He was asked to go to JC to get grades turned around and has the opportunity to return if that happens. I did just hear about Jared Allen last night and he decided to transfer to a local JC because he didn't see playing time like he wanted because of young talented players in outfield now. From what I saw this fall he didn't fair very well during workouts. As far as other players my belief it's all part of a coaching staff change and new staff with different approach. From everything I hear and I've seen this staff has nothing but kids best interest in mind which is a huge change. Sometimes change is very difficult but let's give it some time before jumping to conclusions.
I do wish all the former team members well at there new school.
Vol 4ever is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,189
Likes: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinVol View Post
I don't know but It would appear Tennessee kids aren't welcome on that roster.

For a program that doesn't want "Tennessee kids" on the roster, they sure have committments from a lot of local kids including; Jammer Strickland, Kyle Serrano, and Eric Freeman from Farragut, Lane Thomas from Bearden.

Then you add that to all of the local kids brought in last year including Simcox, Lance, Owenby, Quillen, Lloyd, etc. This staff has recruited this area and this state harder than any UT baseball coach in recent history.

There is a lot of good things going on at LNS and UT is on the right track. There is still a long way to go to get the program back to where it was pre-Raleigh but the right folks are in place to get it done.
Backwards K is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 380
Likes: 62
Thanks for that info Vol4ever,

I think the common denominator between most of the departures is not their home state but who recruited them.

It's just a fact of life that coaches prefer working with players they recruited over players they inherited. Unless the children from the previous marriage quickly convince the new coach they are key contributors, it's generally better for everyone if they find a fresh start somewhere else with a new coach who chooses them. It's nobody's fault. Just the way the business works.

More than 2/3 of Raleigh's last recruiting class is already gone now heading into their sophomore season. I will be surprised if more than 5 Raleigh recruits from all classes combined are on the roster next year.

Allen was a top 1000 prospect out of high school. A season at a JUCO where he gets lots of AB's and has the chance to figure out college pitching may be the best thing for him.

I'm not sure I understand the logic of the explanation for Harris. If he leaves for a two-year school now, UT takes a guaranteed hit against its Academic Progress Rating. Granted, it's not as big as the hit we'd take if he's not eligible after the spring semester. But, c'mon, we do have that fabulous Thornton Center and all the advising and tutoring available there. Are we really supposed to believe the coaches so doubted their ability to monitor his academic progress that they didn't think they could keep him eligible for one more semester? Hmmm.
ShowmeVols is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BruinVol's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16,202
Likes: 3,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwards K View Post
For a program that doesn't want "Tennessee kids" on the roster, they sure have committments from a lot of local kids including; Jammer Strickland, Kyle Serrano, and Eric Freeman from Farragut, Lane Thomas from Bearden.

Then you add that to all of the local kids brought in last year including Simcox, Lance, Owenby, Quillen, Lloyd, etc. This staff has recruited this area and this state harder than any UT baseball coach in recent history.

There is a lot of good things going on at LNS and UT is on the right track. There is still a long way to go to get the program back to where it was pre-Raleigh but the right folks are in place to get it done.
I get it that there are some tenn players on the roster but it can't be denied that many tenn players have left the program for whatever reason. I know for a fact a number of them were shown the door and that tenn hs and travel coaches coaches are very upset about the way the instate kids have been handled. Based on that the road to building this program back up is going to be significantly harder if recruiting the state of tenn is part of the process.
BruinVol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BruinVol's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16,202
Likes: 3,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowmeVols View Post
Thanks for that info Vol4ever,

I think the common denominator between most of the departures is not their home state but who recruited them.

It's just a fact of life that coaches prefer working with players they recruited over players they inherited. Unless the children from the previous marriage quickly convince the new coach they are key contributors, it's generally better for everyone if they find a fresh start somewhere else with a new coach who chooses them. It's nobody's fault. Just the way the business works.

More than 2/3 of Raleigh's last recruiting class is already gone now heading into their sophomore season. I will be surprised if more than 5 Raleigh recruits from all classes combined are on the roster next year.

Allen was a top 1000 prospect out of high school. A season at a JUCO where he gets lots of AB's and has the chance to figure out college pitching may be the best thing for him.

I'm not sure I understand the logic of the explanation for Harris. If he leaves for a two-year school now, UT takes a guaranteed hit against its Academic Progress Rating. Granted, it's not as big as the hit we'd take if he's not eligible after the spring semester. But, c'mon, we do have that fabulous Thornton Center and all the advising and tutoring available there. Are we really supposed to believe the coaches so doubted their ability to monitor his academic progress that they didn't think they could keep him eligible for one more semester? Hmmm.
Good post. Your point on who recruited the kids is a very good point. The harris explanation makes zero sense since he was eligible. Kids have tough fits semesters all the time and rebound nicely with support from coaches and academic staff. Like I posted before the only thing that really matters is the perception the state coaches have and right now its very bad.
BruinVol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,189
Likes: 851
Not to go into too much detail but this coaching staff has set certain standards both on the field, in the classroom, and in the community. If a player wants to meet these standards, they will be a part of the program.

That's how you establish a winning tradition in a program. If you check into this, most of the ones who were asked to leave, did not meet this criteria.
Backwards K is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 380
Likes: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwards K View Post
Not to go into too much detail but this coaching staff has set certain standards both on the field, in the classroom, and in the community. If a player wants to meet these standards, they will be a part of the program.

That's how you establish a winning tradition in a program. If you check into this, most of the ones who were asked to leave, did not meet this criteria.
What an amazingly content-free recitation of the party line! That post had no information at all.

It's premature to harrumph about how we're establishing a winning tradition. Try to tone down the snooty attitude at least until we get to Hoover.
ShowmeVols is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,189
Likes: 851
Showme, funny that you would make that comment. You have been whining about the baseball program with NO FACTS to back up your made up assumptions. Further, it is not my job to educate you on these matters but here is an example of what I am talking about:

In the fall, the players had been given benchmarks to meet in their conditioning. When they returned for the fall and had their time trials, about 14 (less than 20) of the 40+ players met or exceeded their expected times. Included in the number not making the times were several if not all of the returning players who were later taken off the roster.

There are more facts but I will not call out individuals or groups of players who are no longer with the program. Now, why don't you give some facts to back up your whining.
Backwards K is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #41 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BruinVol's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16,202
Likes: 3,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwards K View Post
Showme, funny that you would make that comment. You have been whining about the baseball program with NO FACTS to back up your made up assumptions. Further, it is not my job to educate you on these matters but here is an example of what I am talking about:

In the fall, the players had been given benchmarks to meet in their conditioning. When they returned for the fall and had their time trials, about 14 (less than 20) of the 40+ players met or exceeded their expected times. Included in the number not making the times were several if not all of the returning players who were later taken off the roster.

There are more facts but I will not call out individuals or groups of players who are no longer with the program. Now, why don't you give some facts to back up your whining.
So only 14 of 40 met these requirements but you are using this as an example of why kids have left the program??

Will we have enough to have a team when this attrition is over?
BruinVol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,189
Likes: 851
Some are no longer with the program because they were either unwilling or unable to meet the standards that have been set. I'm OK with that. If you are looking for something to complain about, you will have plenty to complain about once the SEC season starts and this young team begins trying to compete with the best teams in the nation. But, better days are coming and soon.

If you have an ax to grind with this coaching staff, at least admit that so we can move on. If not, please provide some facts to back up your complaints.
Backwards K is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BruinVol's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16,202
Likes: 3,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwards K View Post
Some are no longer with the program because they were either unwilling or unable to meet the standards that have been set. I'm OK with that. If you are looking for something to complain about, you will have plenty to complain about once the SEC season starts and this young team begins trying to compete with the best teams in the nation. But, better days are coming and soon.

If you have an ax to grind with this coaching staff, at least admit that so we can move on. If not, please provide some facts to back up your complaints.
My perception has been formed from what many of the hs coaches are saying thru out the state. They are furious about how so many of the tenn kids have revolved out the door. Perception is reality and in thier mind kids like harris haven't been given any kind of real chance. Fair or not they feel that vandy has made them feel like their kids are important and DS has made them feel just the opposite. These are bigtime tenn fans in all sports. Certainly their side to the story isn't 100per truth but that really doesn't matter since that's what is being spread around.


I have spoken to a hand full of coaches that all have had players recruited to tenn and they all feel this way. I made a number of friends in hs baseball a few years back when I umpired a number a games. That's my connection.

Last edited by BruinVol; 01-09-2013 at 01:22 PM..
BruinVol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #44 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,189
Likes: 851
Bruin, not sure why Vandy would be so highly thought of by in state coaches. There are less than 10 in state players on Vandy's roster and only two of those are from outside the Nashville/Murfreesboro area. What area of the state are you talking about where the coaches are not happy with UT?

I don't know what happened with Harris. I was excited about him being here and expected big things. As a UT parent pointed out earlier, there were apparently some questions about grades and/or performance in the classroom. Hate it for him, hope he lands on his feet.

Serrano stepped into a tougher situation than Butch Jones is inheriting. He is obviously trying to build from the ground up and set the tone for what is expected from players in the program. There are growing pains in any rebuilding process. Lets' see how it plays out.
Backwards K is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #45 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BruinVol's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16,202
Likes: 3,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwards K View Post
Bruin, not sure why Vandy would be so highly thought of by in state coaches. There are less than 10 in state players on Vandy's roster and only two of those are from outside the Nashville/Murfreesboro area. What area of the state are you talking about where the coaches are not happy with UT?

I don't know what happened with Harris. I was excited about him being here and expected big things. As a UT parent pointed out earlier, there were apparently some questions about grades and/or performance in the classroom. Hate it for him, hope he lands on his feet.

Serrano stepped into a tougher situation than Butch Jones is inheriting. He is obviously trying to build from the ground up and set the tone for what is expected from players in the program. There are growing pains in any rebuilding process. Lets' see how it plays out.
I have to talked to a few coaches all thru the state. Knoxville seems to be the only area not to have a bad taste in their mouth for DS. I hate to say it but TR had a better perception amongst these coaches I talk to. Not saying they felt he was a good coach but he was visible in the state. The fact that DS and staff didn't attend the sunbelt classic last year really burned the hs coaches alot. In fact more than one told me that's why stone decommited and ended up at vandy.
BruinVol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27