3234 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Weekly Practice Schedule (10/8-14) Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Vols Baseball. Originally Posted by volforlife50 Money was cut last year just like the majority of the returning players on the roster. ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volforlife50 View Post
Money was cut last year just like the majority of the returning players on the roster. Does this burn a year of eligibility for these players?
They all should have left but I am sure they were give a line of bs to stay and not hurt apr. Now that they are walk ons they dont hurt apr. Bad all the way around
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinVol View Post
If they wanted to go d1 and play now they couldn't. Juco or NAIA could play immediately. I am not sure on D2 or 3
They can transfer to another D1 at Christmas, sit out the spring and fall semesters, and play in spring, 2014, having burned one year on the five year clock but no more of their four years of eligibility.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowmeVols View Post
They can transfer to another D1 at Christmas, sit out the spring and fall semesters, and play in spring, 2014, having burned one year on the five year clock but no more of their four years of eligibility.
Correct. The NCAA needs to make kids immediately eligible when they are cut and/or their money is taken away. No reason for them not to be IMO unless there are academic or criminal issues.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

Davis and OLeary were red shirted last year. This leaves few options. If it wasn't discipline or academic issues this is a bad way to treat people.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Davis and OLeary were red shirted last year. This leaves few options. If it wasn't discipline or academic issues this is a bad way to treat people.
The decision was made on those kids last spring when their money was taken away. The right thing by those kids was to let them go then not now but apr kept that from happening. DS did what was right for the program but very bad for the kids. It's a tough world but the program is the only thing he answers to.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #21 (permalink)

I disagree, treating players this way will hurt recruiting! With facebook and Twitter its easy for kids to talk. We have already had commits change their mind. This was part of the problem with Raleigh, the mistreating players and this effects recruiting. This sheds a negative light on our program. CDS has done some underhanded treatment of the players that reminds me of when Raleigh took over.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
I disagree, treating players this way will hurt recruiting! With facebook and Twitter its easy for kids to talk. We have already had commits change their mind. This was part of the problem with Raleigh, the mistreating players and this effects recruiting. This sheds a negative light on our program. CDS has done some underhanded treatment of the players that reminds me of when Raleigh took over.
I agree to some degree thats why I lean toward the best thing to do was let these kids go last spring. That would have given then plenty of time to find best fit for them
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #23 (permalink)

youre all guessing, and even if youre partially right, welcome to D1 baseball. Every big program fuctions in this manner. As I tell players, careful what you wish for, it's a brutal game, both on and off the field. With that said, my glass will remain half full regarding DS, this isn't his first picnic, and not his first pitching staff he's molded and won with.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #24 (permalink)

Everybody found out where they stood at the end of the season in May. Some were cut loose or encouraged to transfer, and I heard Serrano helped at least some of them find other places to play.

Others had their money taken away (or never had any to begin with) and were invited back to compete for roster spots with no guarantees. That's a much tougher situation. Anyone who came back on those terms knew they were taking a chance. That doesn't make it easier for them when they get cut, but it does mean they were warned.

Some of the guys who didn't come back for whatever reason used the summer and landed on their feet: Richard Carter at Coastal Carolina, Conner Stevens at Duke, and Jake Rowland at Tennessee Tech.

It is a tough business. Serrano is getting paid a lot of money to turn things around, and he has to make some tough decisions. There's no way around it unless you're willing to wait a couple extra years to see results. I do feel bad for guys who burned a redshirt year, then got cut this fall, and now either have to move to their third school or give up on baseball.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Everybody found out where they stood at the end of the season in May. Some were cut loose or encouraged to transfer, and I heard Serrano helped at least some of them find other places to play.

Others had their money taken away (or never had any to begin with) and were invited back to compete for roster spots with no guarantees. That's a much tougher situation. Anyone who came back on those terms knew they were taking a chance. That doesn't make it easier for them when they get cut, but it does mean they were warned.

Some of the guys who didn't come back for whatever reason used the summer and landed on their feet: Richard Carter at Coastal Carolina, Conner Stevens at Duke, and Jake Rowland at Tennessee Tech.

It is a tough business. Serrano is getting paid a lot of money to turn things around, and he has to make some tough decisions. There's no way around it unless you're willing to wait a couple extra years to see results. I do feel bad for guys who burned a redshirt year, then got cut this fall, and now either have to move to their third school or give up on baseball.
Good post.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #26 (permalink)

Well said showmevols!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:

I couldn't have said it better. I know at least two of the recent cuts intend to stay in school here anyway and not play anywhere else.

The last guy made a lot of mistakes putting the roster together, and Serrano had to fix them. There were some guys surprised at the end of last season for sure, but nothing that has happened this fall has blindsided anyone.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 12-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #28 (permalink)

Anybody know the status of the roster?

The team web site shows 36 players. They need to get down to 35 before the season starts, or lower if any of the players who left this fall were "counters" because they were on scholarship.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #29 (permalink)

Jared Allen is no longer on the roster anyone know why?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Jared Allen is no longer on the roster anyone know why?
I don't know but It would appear Tennessee kids aren't welcome on that roster.
Reply With Quote TOP