BASEBALL REPORT: Throwing Jabs

VN News

Junior southpaw Dalton Saberhagen is spending his fall camp learning how to take a boxer's mentality with him to the mound.

More...

Discuss.

I hope people don't take this comment wrong because I'm not trying to criticize the player at all. However, I will criticize the article.

Wouldn't you expect an article whose lead sentence talks about a baseball player learning to adopt a boxer's mentality to go on to say something about that player actually learning something about boxing?

So I read the article expecting to find out about Saberhagen doing some training in a gym, maybe a little bag work or sparring, to find out something about boxing or how boxers mentally prepare for fights. Or at least, maybe he's been watching ESPN Classic re-runs Ali matches to see what jabbing is all about.

But no, the boxing knowledge began and ended with Coach Mo's use of a boxing analogy to get across some point about pitching. That's it?

Good for Mo for finding a way to communicate to his player. Good for Saberhagen for taking his coach's advice to heart. But seriously, how is this newsworthy or even worthy of a human interest piece? There's nothing there.

We have 25 new players, 3 returning starters, 42 guys competing for 35 spots. Lots of possible stories. And this is what they came up with to write about?

Word!

It's rather mind blowing that they don't use the momentum from the Serrano hire. People, maybe not tons of people, but baseball fans(few we may be), are really interested in this team.

VN Store

Back