2266 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Collegiate Baseball 2012 Recruting Rankings Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Vols Baseball. Originally Posted by BigOrange51 You're wrong. Its a big deal what Vandy is able to do for these kids to ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOrange51 View Post
You're wrong. Its a big deal what Vandy is able to do for these kids to get them on campus. Baseball has too few scholarships to really deal with this on the field. Obviously Vandy is not why we are at the bottom of the SEC in recruiting, but their advantages with need based money are why they have topped the recruiting rankings two years in a row.
Again, if you don't like it, you provide the players the money or turn Vandy in to the NCAA. I'm not saying I like it, but I'm not crying about it and being all "woe is me" like Bruin.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whobethis16 View Post
Again, if you don't like it, you provide the players the money or turn Vandy in to the NCAA. I'm not saying I like it, but I'm not crying about it and being all "woe is me" like Bruin.
State schools can't award need based money even if it's done on the up and up which isn't the case with Vandy.

Tennessee hasn't beat Vandy for a recruit in many years and yes some of that can be attributed to the success of the programs but money SHOULD have pushed at least one talented in state kid to Tennessee. Think about it a 60per scholarship which is a huge offer would leave 20k per year at Vandy if there was no need based money. Compare that to less than 3k left at Tennessee. You can't tell me one talented kid over the past 5 years wouldn't have been a vol over Vandy under those circumstances!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
. Obviously Vandy is not why we are at the bottom of the SEC in recruiting, but their advantages with need based money are why they have topped the recruiting rankings two years in a row.
Without a doubt the need based money allows them ever year to be at the top just as you say. Someone close to their prgram told me Price,Alvarez, and the closer that went 6th overall on that team were all three on full rides and neither on any basebAll money. Corbin isn't a great recruiter just great underachiever with his schorship limits.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinVol View Post
Without a doubt the need based money allows them ever year to be at the top just as you say. Someone close to their prgram told me Price,Alvarez, and the closer that went 6th overall on that team were all three on full rides and neither on any basebAll money. Corbin isn't a great recruiter just great underachiever with his schorship limits.
I know that Price and Alvarez were on full, need-based rides. Not sure about Weathers. I believe I've said those two before on this forum. Maybe that's where you heard it.

That's not fair to say Corbin isn't a great recruiter. Tim is one of the sharpest, friendliest, and most energetic people I have ever met. He is without a doubt a great recruiter. Match that with program success and their ability to give so much need based money and he's basically fishing with dynamite.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
State schools can't award need based money even if it's done on the up and up which isn't the case with Vandy.

Tennessee hasn't beat Vandy for a recruit in many years and yes some of that can be attributed to the success of the programs but money SHOULD have pushed at least one talented in state kid to Tennessee. Think about it a 60per scholarship which is a huge offer would leave 20k per year at Vandy if there was no need based money. Compare that to less than 3k left at Tennessee. You can't tell me one talented kid over the past 5 years wouldn't have been a vol over Vandy under those circumstances!
If I had the opportunity to get 60% from athletics, plus any other scholarship from academics (which you can't prove these players are not getting) and get the Vandy education, I would jump at the opportunity. You cannot prove that they are not intelligent students with academic scholarships along with athletic scholarships.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
I know that Price and Alvarez were on full, need-based rides. Not sure about Weathers. I believe I've said those two before on this forum. Maybe that's where you heard it.

That's not fair to say Corbin isn't a great recruiter. Tim is one of the sharpest, friendliest, and most energetic people I have ever met. He is without a doubt a great recruiter. Match that with program success and their ability to give so much need based money and he's basically fishing with dynamite.
I agree on Corbin's characteristics but having
More money allows you to target the prices of the world and get them because of money.

Sorry he has vastly underachieve when looking at results.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:

Tennessee hasn't beat Vandy for a recruit in many years and yes some of that can be attributed to the success of the programs but money SHOULD have pushed at least one talented in state kid to Tennessee.
Isn't this a little overgeneralized? Vandy didn't want Forsythe, Hawn, Gant, Liles, Polk, Ramsey, Bennett, Simcox, etc.? None of them?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Isn't this a little overgeneralized? Vandy didn't want Forsythe, Hawn, Gant, Liles, Polk, Ramsey, Bennett, Simcox, etc.? None of them?
The specifics of all those kids recruitment I don't know but I don't recall Vandy recruiting any them hard. I will say this my impression is the amount of need based money that Corbin has at his disposal has increased dramatically in the past few years so some of those older names might not fall under this umbrella. I can say with little doubt that none of DS instate recruits were wanted by Vandy including Simcox.

Last edited by BruinVol; 09-27-2012 at 09:51 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #24 (permalink)

Bruin, you are wrong about Simcox. He was offered by Vandy......and a very good offer at that. AJ was going to South Carolina (they made a very good offer too) until Serrano came back to UT and made him a priority.

Simcox is a big time recruit and could have gone about anywhere he wanted to go.

Last edited by Backwards K; 10-04-2012 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote TOP