6360 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Any news about THIS team? Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Vols Baseball. Originally Posted by #1ArencibiaFan I know Duke has a lot of student interns that provide content for their SID departments ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 384
Likes: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1ArencibiaFan View Post
I know Duke has a lot of student interns that provide content for their SID departments in the summer. Wonder if UT does.
I think UTK can get all the interns they need.

Any more excuses or rationalizations?
ShowmeVols is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,636
Likes: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinVol View Post
My only complaint with the info coming this summer would be the issue we are discussing here and a player that transferred out of Knoxville being claimed as a former vol that made the big leagues.
I still don't see an issue with that, especially when it is someone that works out in our facilities with our strength coach during the offseason, and never wanted to leave in the first place, had his scholarship pulled by our former coach over the objection of the administration, and despite the way things ended, still considers himself a Vol and contributes to the program.

If UT puts out a story over the winter about the 20 MLB players that work out in our facilities, will you have a problem with that?
DeerPark12 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,636
Likes: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowmeVols View Post
I think UTK can get all the interns they need.

Any more excuses or rationalizations?
The bottom line is, the SID office concluded, with the input of the coaching staff, that covering summer leagues wasn't worth doing full updates, other than tweets and posts in the Tennessee Update Blog.
DeerPark12 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Vomit Free Since 93
 
whocaresgobobcats's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 8,870
Likes: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowmeVols View Post
I think UTK can get all the interns they need.

Any more excuses or rationalizations?
I'm not making any excuses moron. I was asking about the situation at UTK.
whocaresgobobcats is online now  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 384
Likes: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerPark12 View Post
The bottom line is, the SID office concluded, with the input of the coaching staff, that covering summer leagues wasn't worth doing full updates, other than tweets and posts in the Tennessee Update Blog.
You just affirmed my original post: the SID and the baseball coaches decided they don't want to talk about their own team. You and Arencibia's #1 jock sniffer seem to think that's just fine. I think it's cause for concern.
ShowmeVols is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BruinVol's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16,215
Likes: 4,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerPark12 View Post
I still don't see an issue with that, especially when it is someone that works out in our facilities with our strength coach during the offseason, and never wanted to leave in the first place, had his scholarship pulled by our former coach over the objection of the administration, and despite the way things ended, still considers himself a Vol and contributes to the program.

If UT puts out a story over the winter about the 20 MLB players that work out in our facilities, will you have a problem with that?
I wouldn't have an issue with a release about all the big leaguers working out at the facilty but yes if they claim any player that last played college at another school as their own that's plain wrong.


Deer I know you are in a position to ask about the walk-on releases being legal(or ask for a second opinion). Unless the SEC has a conference rule it is very permissable as I know many other schools that do it. I think that would be useful info if indeed they could release all the kids that are joining the program.

Last edited by BruinVol; 08-22-2012 at 09:08 AM..
BruinVol is online now  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 384
Likes: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinVol View Post
I wouldn't have an issue with a release about all the big leaguers working out at the facilty but yes if they claim any player that last played college at another school as their own that's plain wrong.


Deer I know you are in a position to ask about the walk-on releases being legal(or ask for a second opinion). Unless the SEC has a conference rule it is very permissable as I know many other schools that do it. I think that would be useful info if indeed they could release all the kids that are joining the program.
Or just issue a release now that classes have started.
ShowmeVols is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,636
Likes: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinVol View Post
I wouldn't have an issue with a release about all the big leaguers working out at the facilty but yes if they claim any player that last played college at another school as their own that's plain wrong.

Deer I know you are in a position to ask about the walk-on releases being legal(or ask for a second opinion). Unless the SEC has a conference rule it is very permissable as I know many other schools that do it. I think that would be useful info if indeed they could release all the kids that are joining the program.
I disagree, if a guy played here, he's a Vol, period. Chris Fritts is no less a Vol because he's going to play his final year elsewhere, same for Gomes.

Again, the UT policy is set that first-year walk-on names and information is not released for winter and spring sports until the first day of class, which is UT's interpretation of the NCAA rule.

However, a "recruited walk-on" can be publicized and listed on the roster prior to that date, but the majority decline to claim that status because once they agree to formally accept the "recruited walk-on" offer by taking an official visit and signing a document in some cases, they can not sign scholarship papers with another school. Most athletes, particularly in non-fall sports, will not do that in case another school has a late scholarship opening. Also, if a "recruited walk-on" is cut in the fall, they cannot transfer freely and be eligible in the spring.

UT updated the roster today, and some guys listed in the other thread as having left the program are still on it: Official Baseball Roster - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

This list has to get down to 35 before the spring, so there will be cuts after fall practice.
DeerPark12 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Member

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerPark12 View Post
I disagree, if a guy played here, he's a Vol, period. Chris Fritts is no less a Vol because he's going to play his final year elsewhere, same for Gomes.

Again, the UT policy is set that first-year walk-on names and information is not released for winter and spring sports until the first day of class, which is UT's interpretation of the NCAA rule.

However, a "recruited walk-on" can be publicized and listed on the roster prior to that date, but the majority decline to claim that status because once they agree to formally accept the "recruited walk-on" offer by taking an official visit and signing a document in some cases, they can not sign scholarship papers with another school. Most athletes, particularly in non-fall sports, will not do that in case another school has a late scholarship opening. Also, if a "recruited walk-on" is cut in the fall, they cannot transfer freely and be eligible in the spring.

UT updated the roster today, and some guys listed in the other thread as having left the program are still on it: Official Baseball Roster - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

This list has to get down to 35 before the spring, so there will be cuts after fall practice.
Who was listed as leaving in other threads?
Helton1 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 384
Likes: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerPark12 View Post
I disagree, if a guy played here, he's a Vol, period. Chris Fritts is no less a Vol because he's going to play his final year elsewhere, same for Gomes.
I'll mostly agree with you on this, DP. In my book, if he played here, left under honorable conditions (even if cut), and is okay with the school continuing to use his name, it's fine to consider him still a Vol and talk up his accomplishments.

BTW, any idea where Fritts is playing?
ShowmeVols is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 08-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
cwells52's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pigeon Forge, TN
Posts: 393
Likes: 72
No news is good news?

IE football team has all kinds of news, most of it coming out has been bad lol.
__________________
Coach Serrano FTW!!
cwells52 is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
Big Member
 
Spartacavolus's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brentwood
Posts: 31,703
Likes: 14,209
Playing in Coach Serrano's 4some tomorrow in a charity tourney. Look forward to spending some time with the HC, after separating myself from the baseball program when RD was let go.
Spartacavolus is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #28 (permalink)
ORANGE U THANKFUL
 
alaVOL's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 4,566
Likes: 888
Serrano is revamping the Big Orange baseball team. He has recruited better talent and in and effort to increase attendance the coach is trying to sign better looking ones as well. Here is the latest recruit he's after.
Attached Images
File Type: gif baseball.gif (51.4 KB, 27 views)
__________________
alaVOL is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 09-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
BruinVol's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16,215
Likes: 4,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaVOL View Post
Serrano is revamping the Big Orange baseball team. He has recruited better talent and in and effort to increase attendance the coach is trying to sign better looking ones as well. Here is the latest recruit he's after.
I bet the coaches are fighting to have an Inhome visit with that one!! Better be careful with the draft that one is a 1st round lock!
BruinVol is online now  
Reply With Quote TOP
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27