Hayden Stone no longer a Vol, now a Dore

When I heard the Vols weren't in attendance at the Sunbelt in Oklahoma and Tim Corbin was I figured bad news would follow. No excuse for the staff not to have been at he biggest recruiting event for instate talent.

I don't understand why they weren't there one bit. I don't blame the kid though. Did what he had to do.

In baseball, not all scholarships are equal with the 11.7 rule. Did you guys stop to consider that Vandy's was worth a little more? Remember, with 20+ newcomers next year, the 2013 class won't have a lot of scholarship dollars to go around.

Reactions: 1 person
In baseball, not all scholarships are equal with the 11.7 rule. Did you guys stop to consider that Vandy's was worth a little more? Remember, with 20+ newcomers next year, the 2013 class won't have a lot of scholarship dollars to go around.

Deer can you dig into this need based money that I am hearing candy has giving them virtually double the 11.7 allowed? How the NCAA allows this to happen if what i am being told is correct is beyond me!

The NCAA can't do anything about Vandy's financial aid program.

If an athlete gets more need based money than they would have as a regular student it certainly is an NCAA issue. From what I am told that is the case.

Last edited:
They do it for every student not just athletes.

Correct but it's the amount that is in question.

Baseball player not on baseball scholarship being middle class better being paying the same amount another middle class student is paying after need based money or a serious advantage is happening here.

Last edited:
If an athlete gets more need based money than they would have as a regular student it certainly is an NCAA issue. From what I am told that is the case.

It's been ruled legal by the NCAA there and at other expensive private schools. Northwestern and Stanford also use a similar situation. Harvard doesn't give out athletic scholarships, but somehow virtually every athlete there ends up on a full ride.

Their "need-based" scholarships cover the difference between any other scholarship money they may receive (including athletic scholarships) and the cost of tuition.

As long as the standards for the aid are the same as they are for non-athletes in terms of family financial situation, grades, etc., then the NCAA has ruled that it's perfectly legal.

As long as the standards for the aid are the same as they are for non-athletes in terms of family financial situation, grades, etc., then the NCAA has ruled that it's perfectly legal.

Agreed but I don't think that's the case. Otherwise every middle class kid in the country could afford Vandy.

VN Store

Back