Recruiting and the State of Tennessee

BruinVol

Does the state of Tennessee contain enough blue chip baseball players for both Tenn and Vandy to be elite programs if they both focus on getting the very best instate talent every year?

I know Vandy is down this year but IMO they are here to stay as being an elite program as long as Corbin is there.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Not enough "Blue Chip" players in TN to sustain both programs. Good high school players? Yes. Good college players? Not so much. It's a huge difference from high school baseball to college baseball.

Not enough "Blue Chip" players in TN to sustain both programs. Good high school players? Yes. Good college players? Not so much. It's a huge difference from high school baseball to college baseball.

I tend to agree that the state doesn't have enough elite recruits. However, Vandy is a very nationwide based recruiting program and I think Tenn can get down into the Atlanta area and pick up some very good prospects. The state of Tenn alone can't do it but I do think both Tenn and Vandy can be elite.

TN usually has some very good baseball players.. They don't all go to vandy and UT.. They're all over.

As a high school baseball coach, I have seen plenty of elite talent throughout the state. All the players don't just go to vandy or UT.

I hope not. I hope there is only enough for UT. Why would I want Vandy to be elite in anything?

Careful what you wish for. Vandy is elite and I don't think that is going to change even with their downturn here in 2012. The question is, can Tenn also be elite and how the talent level in the state effects that?

As a high school baseball coach, I have seen plenty of elite talent throughout the state. All the players don't just go to vandy or UT.

I am curious to what area of the state you coach in? With your knowledge if you have time, I would love to see a list of kids that have gone to other places than Tenn and Vandy the last few years and proven to be SEC elite talent.

Not a HS baseball coach like S_K_U, but played at that level in the 70s, still follow, and have a passion for the game. There is ample high level talent available. Some of it needs 1-2 years development. They are not all ready to turn pro coming out of HS. Like what football and basketball had to do, CDS has to rebuild the roster and build a tradition of taking the high level TN kids. That means rebuilding relationships with S_K_U and other HS coaches around the state, getting in with the kids sooner, doing clinics, making visits, scouting - being seen. All of which he will do. I know of one D-1 local prospect that has a bright future that will not go to either one because neither school offers his major. He will go to Belmont instead. They got in on him when he attended their camp as a junior. He knows it is too early to tell if he will get drafted so he wants the education that will tie to his future career.

Last edited:
TN usually has some very good baseball players.. They don't all go to vandy and UT.. They're all over.

I agree with this assestment best. Traditional the state of Tennessee has very good talent in baseball. West Tennessee alone sends players all over. Ole Miss, Miss. St., Alabama, Tenn. are just four that popped out that have players from Shelby Co. alone. So year there is certainly enough players in the state but NOT like a Florida or Texas of course.

Not a HS baseball coach like S_K_U, but played at that level in the 70s, still follow, and have a passion for the game. There is ample high level talent available. Some of it needs 1-2 years development. They are not all ready to turn pro coming out of HS. Like what football and basketball had to do, CDS has to rebuild the roster and build a tradition of taking the high level TN kids. That means rebuilding relationships with S_K_U and other HS coaches around the state, getting in with the kids sooner, doing clinics, making visits, scouting - being seen. All of which he will do. I know of one D-1 local prospect that has a bright future that will not go to either one because neither school offers his major. He will go to Belmont instead. They got in on him when he attended their camp as a junior. He knows it is too early to tell if he will get drafted so he wants the education that will tie to his future career.

Good post. The issue I see is that schools like UGA have their pick of a number of can't miss recruits. For every Sonny Gray or Daniel Norris in Tennessee my perception is there is 5 of those type kids in just the greater ATL area. That does bring in serious draft issues but a school like UGA would seem to have a huge advantage over Tenn due to instate talent.

almost every state has the same problems. Its the power of recruiting in the state next door that matters most.

almost every state has the same problems. Its the power of recruiting in the state next door that matters most.

Are you saying Fla is hampered by the talent level in Georgia and vice versa?

no, im saying every state has their issues of keeping their own talent in state for college. But on the same note, the challenge of reaching across state lines to grab a 3star athlete is the growing challenge.
Each sport depends on weather. Florida every sport is played year round, in PA, not so much. Baseball is only 6 months, Football is maybe 8 months. So when u recruit, kids want to go where they can play all year.
For example, its tough on PSU or Pitt to recruit cause the weather sucks 5 months out of the year vs Florida recruiting a kid that can have nice weather ALL YEAR ROUND as well as stay close to home. Best of both worlds.

Tenn seems to be in the middle of the two, nice weather most of the year, thinking 10 months and recruiting in state, keeping kids from going south is a bit easier cause the weather is nice. The big challenge I originally was talking about was recruiting over state lines...that is the key. That is the key to keeping programs in tip top shape

Tenn seems to be in the middle of the two, nice weather most of the year, thinking 10 months and recruiting in state, keeping kids from going south is a bit easier cause the weather is nice. The big challenge I originally was talking about was recruiting over state lines...that is the key. That is the key to keeping programs in tip top shape

Thanks. Good points.

most states have two big schools if not more ......so recruiting can become hairy. Reaching out, like to a Tyler Bray whos not from TEnn and finding a diamond in the rough is the future and has been the challenge of new coaches. Older coaches have streams into other states, some dry up, but new ones get created every year.

For example, Iowa steals all of Erie's D-10 kids. They dont go to PSU or PItt.... One being Bob Sanders, you may of heard of him.

There are some good players in this state but there are not enough players to sustain both big time programs in this state. We better be good at finding that diamond in the rough from out of state if UT is going to be great at the game of baseball and in the SEC.

There are some good players in this state but there are not enough players to sustain both big time programs in this state. We better be good at finding that diamond in the rough from out of state if UT is going to be great at the game of baseball and in the SEC.

I agree that the instate talent isn't as deep as it needs to be. The key for Tenn to be elite IMO is two things: 1)the coaching staff must be more superior developers of talent than the competition and 2)The programs of Clemson, UGA, GA Tech, and Auburn need to less than their potential opening up recruiting in the ATL area which is a hot bed for those schools.

Last edited:
I am curious to what area of the state you coach in? With your knowledge if you have time, I would love to see a list of kids that have gone to other places than Tenn and Vandy the last few years and proven to be SEC elite talent.

Well, I can't name names, Besides the guys that have went to UT or vandy, I have coached against kids that have gone to belmont,memphis,TTU among others and I've coached kids that nere co

Last edited:
It's just like football. Tennessee produces some, but other states with schools Tennessee competes against produce more.

A lot more

VN Store

Back