3050 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Cody Stubbs. within the forum Tennessee Vols Baseball. The one that got away... well, not the one. One of an uncountable number that ran for the hills, but ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Cody Stubbs

The one that got away... well, not the one. One of an uncountable number that ran for the hills, but nonetheless, he is tearing it up right now for the Tar Heels.

.472, 10 doubles, 1 HR, 13 RBI.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

One that good leaving here for somewhere else will not be happening as often in the future.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOrange51 View Post
The one that got away... well, not the one. One of an uncountable number that ran for the hills, but nonetheless, he is tearing it up right now for the Tar Heels.

.472, 10 doubles, 1 HR, 13 RBI.
Stubbs left more because of a family financial situation than anything Raleigh did. In fact,the families were and still remain close.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Anytime financial problems are happening when a kid is getting a free education, you know something is up.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloth View Post
Anytime financial problems are happening when a kid is getting a free education, you know something is up.
Free education? You do know how baseball scholarships work don't you?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinVol View Post
I've always hated how they treat baseball scholly $.
VolBeef88 is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolBeef88 View Post
I've always hated how they treat baseball scholly $.
Stubbs being an out of state player was more than likely paying significant change to attend Tenn. Most people don't understand that.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
No, I don't. I was under the impression that the major sports (Basketball, Baseball, Football) all got full rides at most schools. I know I had three offers from DII schools in baseball that offered to pay me half or more of my costs, and DII schools can't offer nearly the same as DI, so I just assumed it was Full ride + 1 year renewable like most.

Please explain the difference (no sarcasm here, just seriously curious)
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
No, I don't. I was under the impression that the major sports (Basketball, Baseball, Football) all got full rides at most schools. I know I had three offers from DII schools in baseball that offered to pay me half or more of my costs, and DII schools can't offer nearly the same as DI, so I just assumed it was Full ride + 1 year renewable like most.

Very few baseball players get full rides. Majority get 3/4 of a scholarship. I think UT has, what, 11 full scholarships to give to 25 players. Also (not starting a Raleigh debate) but when Raleigh started, Delmonico let the APR slip so much that they lost some of that. Baseball is one of the toughest sells regarding scholarships.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whobethis16 View Post
Very few baseball players get full rides. Majority get 3/4 of a scholarship. I think UT has, what, 11 full scholarships to give to 25 players. Also (not starting a Raleigh debate) but when Raleigh started, Delmonico let the APR slip so much that they lost some of that. Baseball is one of the toughest sells regarding scholarships.
11.7 Scholarships across a 35 man roster. You can only have 27 players getting any baseball money, and each player with any scholarship, has to receive at least 25% of a full scholarship. Rarely does anyone get a full ride in baseball.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

Here is a guess for Stubbs and what he was paying. Out of state cost is around 24K(a guess). I am also guessing that he was on about 50%. That's leaves 12K per year.

Very few guys gets 3/4 scholarships like a post mentioned above(1 or 2 per team). Stubbs was a big recruit so it is possible he got that but even then he was still paying around 6k.

Baseball is a very tough sport to recruit to and those coaches need to have some creative math skills for sure.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Here is a guess for Stubbs and what he was paying. Out of state cost is around 24K(a guess). I am also guessing that he was on about 50%. That's leaves 12K per year.

Very few guys gets 3/4 scholarships like a post mentioned above(1 or 2 per team). Stubbs was a big recruit so it is possible he got that but even then he was still paying around 6k.

Baseball is a very tough sport to recruit to and those coaches need to have some creative math skills for sure.
That's pretty close. He was getting less than 50%, and they couldn't make the #s work to give him enough that the family could do it. He got a good deal at a JuCo financially and now has a good spot at UNC, which is in-state for him. Glad to see him doing so well and hoping he can turn that into a shot to do well in pro baseball.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

That's really sad. I'm paying less to go to a private school with no sports scholarships than they were to play a major sport at a state school.

Someone should do something about that sad situation. Thanks for the explanation though guys.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
That's really sad. I'm paying less to go to a private school with no sports scholarships than they were to play a major sport at a state school.

Someone should do something about that sad situation. Thanks for the explanation though guys.
Its an NCAA rule, not a lot that can be done. They tried to add an extra scholarship to baseball, softball and volleyball, but it was voted down by the schools.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Unreal numbers....11 doubles too in 11 games
Reply With Quote TOP