Once Again....

fryeguy93

Rufus X. Sarsaparilli
The Orange and White football game is scheduled for a weekend when the baseball team is out-of-town.

Why does nearly every other school try to create a HUGE weekend of events centered around their spring game but UT randomly chooses a date and all the other sports be damned?

One week earlier and you could have a potentially huge crowd for Florida baseball game.

The department takes baby steps. At least the football team no longer tears up the baseball field every summer/fall. This still prove that marketing and advance planning for somethings is still very lacking.

Reactions: 1 person
Yea, the first thing on my mind is going to a baseball game the weekend of the O&W game. Would anyone really care about baseball at that point?

Yea, the first thing on my mind is going to a baseball game the weekend of the O&W game. Would anyone really care about baseball at that point?

Pretty much this. My mind is on football, not baseball. However, I see the OP's point. It could be cool to have a baseball promotion that weekend too to capitalize on the influx of fans for the Orange and White game.

They have done it before. Recently, even. I'm not so sure people were all that into it...I like both sports, but do you want to follow up a 2:30 football game with a 6pm baseball game? Especially if it's a cold, cold weekend like last year.

For the hardcore fan it'd be cool. For the Football 1st, everything else 2nd fan, it might be an afterthought.

Beyond that, isn't the Spring football schedule pretty well set by the available practice dates?

Gotta like the way the OP is thinking. I'll call Hart and get it straightened out. I'm sure it is just a mistake.

If it would mean the spring game is not the same weekend as that car show in pigeon forge I would be all for a baseball/football weekend.

The Orange and White football game is scheduled for a weekend when the baseball team is out-of-town.

Why does nearly every other school try to create a HUGE weekend of events centered around their spring game but UT randomly chooses a date and all the other sports be damned?

One week earlier and you could have a potentially huge crowd for Florida baseball game.

The department takes baby steps. At least the football team no longer tears up the baseball field every summer/fall. This still prove that marketing and advance planning for somethings is still very lacking.

There was great effort made to schedule the game on the Florida weekend for reasons you mentioned, but it was not possible for several reasons.

There are a lot of factors that go into the scheduling of the O&W game, but first and foremost is the timing of the spring practice schedule. Where Easter and spring break fall having a bearing on the spring practice schedule.

Frye, the last time they had a baseball game the day of the Spring game (and offered free admission with an O&W ticket), the attendance was actually below the other two games of the weekend series, and that was with a full-marketing press on getting the word out.

The nightmare scenario is if you schedule the O&W game the same day as a baseball game and an SEC TV partner picks up the baseball game, you could be looking at having them going on at the same time, which is good for no one.

It's nice if it works out that way, but they're not going to re-arrange the spring football schedule to make it happen.

i say the same thing i come up from alabama each year to the o&w game and want to see baseball to we come in Friday and id like to watch baseball on Friday then football Saturday and yes baseball matters because if you are a true vol u should care about all Tennessee athletics....

It amazes me how ignorant some of these posts are and how close minded they are. A baseball game after a football game is a wonderful combo. Not only from a revenue standpoint is it good, but it is also good for recruiting. We have a house on Keowee Lake 5 mile from Clemson. My family attend the events there as my son is interested in playing soccer for Clemson. I can tell you it was quite the show with the weekend ending with two nights of the Zac Brown Band. It was a great time! I would love for UT to do something of this magnitude.

Growing up in Memphis and only miles from Oxford, we would attend Blue and Red weekend as a child. Good Lord those were great times as a child, regardless of the school, how good the teams were (Ole Miss baseball was really good then) did not matter. It was a good time for families. It gets children interested in all of the sports at their favorite school, just not the football team.

It should maybe be a sports weekend. Baseball though, is a pastime. Real sports like checkers or basketweaving may be included. Or if the weather is like last year, maybe hockey. But baseball?

There was great effort made to schedule the game on the Florida weekend for reasons you mentioned, but it was not possible for several reasons.

There are a lot of factors that go into the scheduling of the O&W game, but first and foremost is the timing of the spring practice schedule. Where Easter and spring break fall having a bearing on the spring practice schedule.

Frye, the last time they had a baseball game the day of the Spring game (and offered free admission with an O&W ticket), the attendance was actually below the other two games of the weekend series, and that was with a full-marketing press on getting the word out.

The nightmare scenario is if you schedule the O&W game the same day as a baseball game and an SEC TV partner picks up the baseball game, you could be looking at having them going on at the same time, which is good for no one.

It's nice if it works out that way, but they're not going to re-arrange the spring football schedule to make it happen.

A shame it works out this way. Other schools pack out both games and I have seen it at multiple venues.

It amazes me how ignorant some of these posts are and how close minded they are. A baseball game after a football game is a wonderful combo. Not only from a revenue standpoint is it good, but it is also good for recruiting. We have a house on Keowee Lake 5 mile from Clemson. My family attend the events there as my son is interested in playing soccer for Clemson. I can tell you it was quite the show with the weekend ending with two nights of the Zac Brown Band. It was a great time! I would love for UT to do something of this magnitude.

Growing up in Memphis and only miles from Oxford, we would attend Blue and Red weekend as a child. Good Lord those were great times as a child, regardless of the school, how good the teams were (Ole Miss baseball was really good then) did not matter. It was a good time for families. It gets children interested in all of the sports at their favorite school, just not the football team.

I agree Buckhead..Tennessee athletics needs something of an all around boost. Not just dwell football and basketball.:hi:

I love going to a Vols baseball game after the O&W game! Should schedule it this way every year!

I appreciate the honesty but quite a few SEC schools make this arrangement work every Spring. And even though I phrased it poorly at beginning, this is about ALL spring sports at UT. These other schools (as you know) try to have as much on campus activity as possible. Spring football, track (even though the days of dual meets have passed), softball, tennis, etc.

The only reason baseball attendance would be less would be poor promotion of the weekend.

These guys who only care about football are obviously not alumnus. They likely could not spell UNIVERSITY if you spotted them UNIVERSIT. Tennnessee used to pride itself on an all around program.

As an aside...
I'm not sure why so many mouth breathers who hate baseball are on a baseball forum. When I joined this board several years ago I was warned that idiots were more prone to be here than other sites. Some of the posts above seemed to confirm the prophesy.

Last edited:
Nice to see true colors come out on VN.I guess people don't support the Lady Vols.Probably don't where orange either.Very Sad.

I appreciate the honesty but quite a few SEC schools make this arrangement work every Spring. And even though I phrased it poorly at beginning, this is about ALL spring sports at UT. These other schools (as you know) try to have as much on campus activity as possible. Spring football, track (even though the days of dual meets have passed), softball, tennis, etc.

The only reason baseball attendance would be less would be poor promotion of the weekend.

Schools have no control over the baseball/softball schedule, so you have to schedule the Spring Game for a home weekend to make that work. As far as tennis, during the SEC season the teams play reverse schedules, so one will always be at home at some point during the weekend.

The last time it was done, there was a lot of time and money spent promoting the weekend heavily. Still, people came to football and left afterward. The other events, including a Friday family event and concert, were a huge flop.

I think the biggest issue is that parking that is used is right next to the stadium and everything is centered in that area, people aren't just walking by baseball and tennis to decide to stop in, they're making a special trip over.

I know the baseball staff very much wanted the game to be the weekend of the Florida series. They want to start doing more things on Football Fridays in the fall as well. UT is doing a better job at getting football fans to come to soccer and volleyball on those Fridays, baseball events can be a part of that. Still, the decision on when to have the O&W game is left in the hands of the football staff, and they schedule it at the time that is most beneficial to their program.

VN Store

Back