Dave Serrano- if you are reading this

fryeguy93

Rufus X. Sarsaparilli
if you're in Knoxville Wednesday; give me a tweet or email; I'll buy you lunch.:yes:

I was hoping for a sabanocchio-esque, teenage girl inspired, gushing love letter.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I am hoping that Serrano is the next coach at UT. If the biggest hold up is lack of bachelors degree, then why not have him enroll and finish it up at UT while coaching?
I can think of several advantages to this:
A better working knowledge of what his players are going through at UT. Shows strong leadership of a program that had recent problems in the academic area. Going through something like that couldn't hurt in recruiting. It could show his dedication to all aspects of student life as a member of the baseball program. There may be more, but it was just a thought.

paint the rock!!!!!

oh my god!!!!!!

Let's all go paint the damn rock!!!!!!!!!!!!

luH7C-vs2DSOJxZnoKR0esspThSc75xnm4Az31I5BSa8N64rP7GwxGABaRkpHd3L9nfoIR-HUfiXjdfOxIZXgGOv4g=s512

Last edited:
I was hoping for a sabanocchio-esque, teenage girl inspired, gushing love letter.

Attention whore for a bit and you'll get a PM from him. He'll share it with the board, though.

I am hoping that Serrano is the next coach at UT. If the biggest hold up is lack of bachelors degree, then why not have him enroll and finish it up at UT while coaching?
I can think of several advantages to this:
A better working knowledge of what his players are going through at UT. Shows strong leadership of a program that had recent problems in the academic area. Going through something like that couldn't hurt in recruiting. It could show his dedication to all aspects of student life as a member of the baseball program. There may be more, but it was just a thought.

The degree issue has been debated ad nauseam. Everyone has their opinion. If Serrano is hired (and I hope he is), do we really want our head coach spending 3-6 hours a week in the classroom and another 3-6 hours a week outside the classroom studying instead of recruiting, coaching, watching film, etc. He will be paid to coach baseball in the nation's most competitive conference, not to get a degree that will serve no purpose other than to appease a few detractors.

Dave has a degree from Trinity College and University, but it's not an accredited school. He teaches no classes anyway. Hire the man, please!

In the realm of reality, and contrary to popular belief in some circles, a bachelor's degree doesn't automaticly make a person "qualified" for a position. It may enable someone to checkoff the block saying "degree required" but that, in and of itself, does not make a person qualified for a job. A lot of people think so but, not necessarily so. Then what does a degree denote? It denotes someone has put in the time and effort to successful complete a specified curriculum. Which is a (presumed) indicator of one's potential to be successful in additional endeavors. In a lot of highly technical specialties, yes, a degree is a prerequisite but how many fields is a degree REALLY not necessary--a lot. Yet, many employers load up employment prerequisites for a job on a personal preference. Is that degree in artificial basketweaving really going to help a baseball coach? Often experience is the greater asset. Still, people have to start somewhere to get that experience.

In the realm of reality, and contrary to popular belief in some circles, a bachelor's degree doesn't automaticly make a person "qualified" for a position. It may enable someone to checkoff the block saying "degree required" but that, in and of itself, does not make a person qualified for a job. A lot of people think so but, not necessarily so. Then what does a degree denote? It denotes someone has put in the time and effort to successful complete a specified curriculum. Which is a (presumed) indicator of one's potential to be successful in additional endeavors. In a lot of highly technical specialties, yes, a degree is a prerequisite but how many fields is a degree REALLY not necessary--a lot. Yet, many employers load up employment prerequisites for a job on a personal preference. Is that degree in artificial basketweaving really going to help a baseball coach? Often experience is the greater asset. Still, people have to start somewhere to get that experience.

You know what Chuck, no one who has a problem with the degree issue is disagreeing with you. No one is saying Serrano is unqualified for the job as I don't think you understand the problems.

First, this is not a private-sector job. UT is a institute of higher learning where we want all the students to achieve all the learning they can. For a school to hire an undegreed person for a leadership position, runs counter to the importance a school places on learning.

Second, (my main problem) is that Serrano is not claiming to have no degree. He lists on his bio a degree from a "school" that notoriously grants diplomas based on life experience (and a couple of hundred dollars). I would feel better if he simply cut that from his bio and state he "attended" Fullerton but did not complete his degree due to work or whatever reason.

Again, NO ONE has ever said he would be unable to coach UT because he has not degree. He would be quite good. And I fully hope Serrano gets the job despite the problem.

I just think both sides need to understand each other's arguments as we are simply repeating ourselves here.

You know what Chuck, no one who has a problem with the degree issue is disagreeing with you. No one is saying Serrano is unqualified for the job as I don't think you understand the problems.

First, this is not a private-sector job. UT is a institute of higher learning where we want all the students to achieve all the learning they can. For a school to hire an undegreed person for a leadership position, runs counter to the importance a school places on learning.

Second, (my main problem) is that Serrano is not claiming to have no degree. He lists on his bio a degree from a "school" that notoriously grants diplomas based on life experience (and a couple of hundred dollars). I would feel better if he simply cut that from his bio and state he "attended" Fullerton but did not complete his degree due to work or whatever reason.

Again, NO ONE has ever said he would be unable to coach UT because he has not degree. He would be quite good. And I fully hope Serrano gets the job despite the problem.

I just think both sides need to understand each other's arguments as we are simply repeating ourselves here.

Last stab at this...Frye, respectfully, there just seems to be a lot of hypocrisy going around. We take questionable kids, we hire asst. coaches w/o a degree, strength and conditioning folks with certifications, but w/o degrees necessarily...Heck, they spend more time with the athletes than the coaches. We bring in guest lecturers because of their experience in a given field, whether they have a degree or not.

I played small time college football, I had three different coaches in highschool and I can tell ya this. I never asked or knew if they had a degree. I coach youth football and basketball in the past, it's never come up, no child, no parent has ever asked.

If Serrano isin't the best baseball coach on the "list" we shouldn't hire him. If he is, for the sake of the players under his care, we should.

It's pretty shallow to think that everyone at UT without a degree slings hash or takes out the trash.

It's pretty shallow to think that everyone at UT without a degree slings hash or takes out the trash.
Good point. Some answer phones, work cash registers in the bookstore, and police the campus.

This will be my last comment on the matter until a hire is made. If people think my commentary and positions regarding Phillip Fulmer and Bruce Pearl were harsh, they've seen nothing compared to what UT disgracing itself and hiring Serrano would bring. I'll make it my duty to be his own personal TMZ. Any misstep, mistake, or misunderstanding will find its way into the public eye. Anything to help sabotage his tenure, I'll be down for.

Good point. Some answer phones, work cash registers in the bookstore, and police the campus.

This will be my last comment on the matter until a hire is made. If people think my commentary and positions regarding Phillip Fulmer and Bruce Pearl were harsh, they've seen nothing compared to what UT disgracing itself and hiring Serrano would bring. I'll make it my duty to be his own personal TMZ. Any misstep, mistake, or misunderstanding will find its way into the public eye. Anything to help sabotage his tenure, I'll be down for.

And none of it will matter because you are a nobody with 50,000 posts on a message board.

VN Store

Back