Monday is the Day!

Mookie's Mamanem told you who the new coach is and you're gonna dangle it?

Weak sauce!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I don't know who but the announcement will be Monday. I'm guessing Serrano.

Except he probably had some talent to work with at Fullerton, I don't see that with the UT baseball team. A great coach won't mean much if the players can't perform at the same level as the competition.

Remarkable analysis.

Except he probably had some talent to work with at Fullerton, I don't see that with the UT baseball team. A great coach won't mean much if the players can't perform at the same level as the competition.

Sounds like a Raliegh apologist? Fulmer fans use the same excuse.

I wonder why he had more talent to work with than Raleigh.....I wonder if recruiting had anything to do with it.....

Mike Hamilton. What a twist!
m-night-shyamalan.jpg

Sounds like a Raliegh apologist? Fulmer fans use the same excuse.

No, I am just saying that Serrano seems like a home run now. If he does what Raleigh did then it was all for not. Serrano isn't coming into a great situation, so if he does turn UT into a winner then we shall build a statue in his honor. I am just not sure he can do that. Following the program under Todd, I just didn't see SEC talent on the field. So he has to do what Derek Dooley has done and inherit another coach's mess. Change was necessary, I just don't believe that Serrano should be billed as a home run get.

PC - I respect your opinion. Yet you say you live in FL. Those of us that live around Knoxville know that the area is a nationally known hotbed for high school and juco baseball players. The better high school programs around here regularly get rated in the top 50 and even top 10 in the nation. Walters State JC is rated a top 5 program in the nation over the past 20 years. They supply the pros and the D-1's with quality players year end and year out. The rest of the SEC, ACC, etc. know it as you will find local players on a bunch of their teams. Serrano recruits nationwide and knows the local talent as well. He recruited and coached for Delmonico here for two years. He also knows something that Raleigh never did - how to relate to the players and fans; as well as how to coach a baseball team at a high level. He has proven it for many years. The facilities upgrades for the program have put it on a level playing field with the best programs out there. If we get him it is a homerun.

I've heard about the baseball talent up there, but it seems that they either never go to UT or if they do they never perform up to expectations. I am just tired of seeing UT get overmatched in league play, even in some nonconference games that you expect them to win. I am not trying to say that I would hate the Serrano hire if it happens, I just think expectations should be tempered until he gets here and see if he turns the program around. I couldn't be happier that the former coach is no longer at UT. I just want to be able to watch UT baseball and expect to win every game. It has been far too long since that has been the case.

PC - I respect your opinion. Yet you say you live in FL. Those of us that live around Knoxville know that the area is a nationally known hotbed for high school and juco baseball players. The better high school programs around here regularly get rated in the top 50 and even top 10 in the nation. Walters State JC is rated a top 5 program in the nation over the past 20 years. They supply the pros and the D-1's with quality players year end and year out. The rest of the SEC, ACC, etc. know it as you will find local players on a bunch of their teams. Serrano recruits nationwide and knows the local talent as well. He recruited and coached for Delmonico here for two years. He also knows something that Raleigh never did - how to relate to the players and fans; as well as how to coach a baseball team at a high level. He has proven it for many years. The facilities upgrades for the program have put it on a level playing field with the best programs out there. If we get him it is a homerun.

I am not trying to disagree but I think we are still missing perspective.

Although, baseball is by far the one sport that East Tennessee excels in growing and developing talent it still lags WAY behind other states. In fact, Florida does better than it does even in football. You can look at the amateur draft by state and see that Tennessee lags far behind most states in fact.

I believe the fact that Farragut does dominate the way they do actually proves that the talent pool is rather thin. The travel team guys simply stay in that community.

Sure there are guys at other schools like South Doyle and Halls and Maryville but it's Farragut.

And not to harp on a common subject, but it's not like that Farragut alumnus are eating up professional (and to some extent college) ball. They are not even close to out-of-state programs like Westminster Christian.

Tennessee could put together a decent team with in-state talent but would not be a consistent national presence.

Like it or not we need out-of-state guys. Just not as many as football or basketball.

Our all-time best teams 1993-1996 were made up of a core of local guys (Helton, Freeman, Foster, Trammell, Dickey) but also had great out-of-state guys (especially from California)

Tennessee will never be a power in the SEC with in-state talent.

VN Store

Back