Something to think about....

fryeguy93

Rufus X. Sarsaparilli
Isn't it odd, the only current or former Tennessee men's coach in any sport with a "coaching family tree" is Rod Delmonico.

Think about the guys who played or coached under Rod and have gone on to be head coaches both in college or managers in professional ball.

Just off the top of my head:

Randy Mazey, Dave Serrano, Matt Myers, Bill Mosiello, Fred Corral; and Mike Bell. I'm sure there are probably a few more that I'm missing.

All these guys have been head guys or will be head guys in near future.

It does appear that Rod Delmonico did a good job in picking his staff at least.

Randy Mazey is pitching coach @ TCU after committing career suicide at ECU. You may recall his deer hunting "incident". The end at ECU was bizarre

Dave Serrano was at UT arguably at the tail-end of our best seasons. 95-96. Returned to his alma mater Fullerton for 7 seasons and built Irvine from start to CWS finalist before returning to Fullerton as HC.

Matt Myers after pitching at UT, became and assistant at UT and Asheville. Before becoming the youngest HC in NCAA for Asheville. Asheville at good teams and after 4-years he resigned to become pitching coach at Auburn.

Bill Mosiello no one has had quite the coaching career of Bill Mosiello. The news clippings have been epic. He was JUCO HC and assistant at Fullerton (CWS team) before coming two Knoxville for 93-94. Then off To Ole Miss for 1 season and 5 season at Oklahoma (the story how he stormed off from that job is classic as well). Then a season as Volunteer Assistant at Az State before beginning minor league career for Yankees (I think he managed Charleston River Dogs) After 4-years he became USC Assistant for a season then off to Auburn. He has returned as minor league manager last 2 seasons.

Fred Corral....AKA Todd Raleigh's scapegoat. Two stints with Vols. Highly respected pitching coach. Similar turnarounds in Oklahoma and Memphis. Still at Memphis assistant.

Mike Bell...yet another pitching coach. Bell actually followed Corral at Tennessee (2005) and Oklahoma (2008)

VN Store

Back