Thoughts...

Ravenheart

Upon hearing that Todd Raleigh had been fired, I immediately began to think about some things.

First of all, the next hire that Mike Hamilton makes will define his tenure. If he hits a home run, it is likely he will stay longer. But if this next hire is unimpressive, he will have signed the death warrant to his tenure here at Tennessee. Personally, I don't like him and I think he needs to go, but I feel that the administration will be reluctant to let him go, which is something that doesn't make sense to me, and I'm sure to you all, as well. But one thing is for certain: no matter what happens in the next week, Mike Hamilton is serving on borrowed time.

Second, I can sit here and commiserate about how far our baseball program has fallen, but at this point, it wouldn't have helped matters. The fact of the matter is that the main problem has been identified and dealt with. The next stage is to find a worthy replacement. That is the tricky part. Do I know who we'll go after? No. Who do I want to be our coach? I can't say that I know the answer to that question, and even if I did, I don't think it would matter, because I'm not making the decision. This team needs a coach whom they can put their trust and faith in and will bring the team together. They also need a coach who knows how to emphasize mental toughness in their players, because it seems that of the many things the Tennessee baseball teams have been lacking in the past four years, their mental toughness has been the most obvious deficiency. We need a coach who will not aim for a quick fix, because kingdoms cannot be built overnight. Not even the earth was created in a day.

Third, I thought to myself, "a great deal of patience must be had during this transition period." I only have one request I must ask of all of you. Do your research when the hire is announced, and regardless of his past experiences, I implore upon all of you to get behind him like we (most of us, at least) got behind Derek Dooley and Cuonzo Martin. I would hate for the new coach to walk right into a fanbase that is ready to spit him right back out. Please, Vol Nation. Just have patience and faith that the right man for the job will show himself in the next few weeks.

Fourth. I realize that this is off-topic, but please pray for the victims of the storms in Missouri. They need our blessings and well-wishes.

I don't agree with your second sentence, but overall yeah, sounds about right. The baseball coach winning or losing at UT isin't going to define the AD's tenure. Hamilton is on the Dooley train, if he lasts through the next month.

As for the rest, whomever we hire will get my support until he no longer deserves it, which has been the same for every coach on the Tennessee merry go round. What choice do I have. Did I personally like the Kiffin hire, not really. I was on the fence, I gave him a chance and I yelled for The Vols. Did I like the Dooley hire. No. Do I like it better now? A little, we're out of the news which is fine by me, that's a big plus. I think the players respect him. Does he need to beat a team with a winning record? Yes, and I'll feel much better when he does. I yell for the team and I support the coach until he doesn't deserve it anymore.

I think most folks take a similiar approach but they may not be the ones on these boards.

Certainly, prayers to the folks in Missouri, I believe Alan Cockrell was from around those parts affected.

I don't agree with your second sentence, but overall yeah, sounds about right. The baseball coach winning or losing at UT isin't going to define the AD's tenure. Hamilton is on the Dooley train, if he lasts through the next month.

As for the rest, whomever we hire will get my support until he no longer deserves it, which has been the same for every coach on the Tennessee merry go round. What choice do I have. Did I personally like the Kiffin hire, not really. I was on the fence, I gave him a chance and I yelled for The Vols. Did I like the Dooley hire. No. Do I like it better now? A little, we're out of the news which is fine by me, that's a big plus. I think the players respect him. Does he need to beat a team with a winning record? Yes, and I'll feel much better when he does. I yell for the team and I support the coach until he doesn't deserve it anymore.

I think most folks take a similiar approach but they may not be the ones on these boards.

Certainly, prayers to the folks in Missouri, I believe Alan Cockrell was from around those parts affected.

Absolutely. Some people give them different windows of support based on their performance. For example, certain people are wanting to give Derek Dooley at least three seasons to turn the program around. Personally, I think it is fair to give him five or even six years to do so. They continue to give that support until there is a reason to not do it anymore. I felt the same way about Todd Raleigh after last season and about Lane Kiffin at the end of 2009. I was indifferent to the Dooley hire, but after the introductory press conference, I loved it. I was sold. He showed me that he was intelligent and had a plan to get back to the top, and was willing to do it with integrity and honor.

And yes, Alan Cockrell is from Joplin, Missouri. I forgot about that.

Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
Absolutely. Some people give them different windows of support based on their performance. For example, certain people are wanting to give Derek Dooley at least three seasons to turn the program around. Personally, I think it is fair to give him five or even six years to do so. They continue to give that support until there is a reason to not do it anymore. I felt the same way about Todd Raleigh after last season and about Lane Kiffin at the end of 2009. I was indifferent to the Dooley hire, but after the introductory press conference, I loved it. I was sold. He showed me that he was intelligent and had a plan to get back to the top, and was willing to do it with integrity and honor.

And yes, Alan Cockrell is from Joplin, Missouri. I forgot about that.

It's about progress. I think VFL, and taking the players over to KPD, all that is great. I like that it's important to the coach, to help the guys in that way. In a small way, that is progress compared to what we had with Kiffin.

That said, you have to win. Progress this year is beating a team we aren't s'pose to beat in football. I don't expect more or less from the next baseball coach. Progress.

I don't think hiring a great baseball coach is going to do too much for Hamilton's reputation

Upon hearing that Todd Raleigh had been fired, I immediately began to think about some things.

First of all, the next hire that Mike Hamilton makes will define his tenure. If he hits a home run, it is likely he will stay longer. But if this next hire is unimpressive, he will have signed the death warrant to his tenure here at Tennessee. Personally, I don't like him and I think he needs to go, but I feel that the administration will be reluctant to let him go, which is something that doesn't make sense to me, and I'm sure to you all, as well. But one thing is for certain: no matter what happens in the next week, Mike Hamilton is serving on borrowed time.

Second, I can sit here and commiserate about how far our baseball program has fallen, but at this point, it wouldn't have helped matters. The fact of the matter is that the main problem has been identified and dealt with. The next stage is to find a worthy replacement. That is the tricky part. Do I know who we'll go after? No. Who do I want to be our coach? I can't say that I know the answer to that question, and even if I did, I don't think it would matter, because I'm not making the decision. This team needs a coach whom they can put their trust and faith in and will bring the team together. They also need a coach who knows how to emphasize mental toughness in their players, because it seems that of the many things the Tennessee baseball teams have been lacking in the past four years, their mental toughness has been the most obvious deficiency. We need a coach who will not aim for a quick fix, because kingdoms cannot be built overnight. Not even the earth was created in a day.

Third, I thought to myself, "a great deal of patience must be had during this transition period." I only have one request I must ask of all of you. Do your research when the hire is announced, and regardless of his past experiences, I implore upon all of you to get behind him like we (most of us, at least) got behind Derek Dooley and Cuonzo Martin. I would hate for the new coach to walk right into a fanbase that is ready to spit him right back out. Please, Vol Nation. Just have patience and faith that the right man for the job will show himself in the next few weeks.

Fourth. I realize that this is off-topic, but please pray for the victims of the storms in Missouri. They need our blessings and well-wishes.

I definately feel that Hamilton's job is in jeopardy!
Have you noticed that after he made the statement about Pearl's job, after the S.E.C. tourney, that he has been kept away from the microphone?
Now that it is public knowledge that he didn't have any
dialouge with the baseball coach at any point this season, that doesn't look good for him.
During the time that he has been here, Peterson, Delmontico, Fulmer, Pearl and now Raleigh are gone but
are still getting money from the University. Not good for Hamilton.

I don't think hiring a great baseball coach is going to do too much for Hamilton's reputation
This! It doesn't really matter who gets the job had it mattered TR wouldn't have gotten it to begin with much less lasted this long.

Well, we can't go back in time and change it. It happened, and now, we have to pick up the pieces that Raleigh left behind and move forward. Hamilton does have to comprehend that his job is indeed in jeopardy, so he will have to make a decent hire, or else, he can kiss his job goodbye. As I stated before, he's serving on borrowed time, regardless of who he hires.

Hamilton will not lose his job over this baseball hire; he may lose it for something else but not this. In short, the fanbase in general doesn't care or doesn't know about the coaches that will be pursued outside of any former Vol players. Second, I don't see this hire happening too soon, which is one step closer to football season.

Are you aware of baseball's place in the pecking order up on the hill?

Perfectly. But are you aware of the previous hires that he has made and how they ended up?

His previous 2 hires were Dooley and Martin. That is how he will ultimately be judged. Baseball has less than a 1% impact.

VN Store

Back