I miss Springtime at Lindsey Nelson Stadium

fryeguy93

Rufus X. Sarsaparilli
Despite a pre-season promise, I did see the last 3 innings of the opening game against whoever the hell we were playing but have not even considered going back since. Seeing Todd Raleigh in the dugout literally made me that ill. (I even think they won that game.)

I have not had season tickets for the last 3 seasons and I was a freakin' fixture at nearly every game for 10-years after living out-of-town for 3 years upon graduating UT.

I have saved money and my lawn looks fabulous.

That being said, I want to support UT baseball but I don't want to do so when the Athletic Director does not. My attendance at these games could be misconstrued as blind support for the coach.

I know, I caught criticism on the other board when I did not give Raleigh a chance. Especially from guys from North Carolina who said they were impressed with Todd Raleigh and knew he would succeed on the UT stage. But due to my profession I have developed a bizarre ability listen to people and know if they are honest, qualified and intelligent. I did not think Todd Raleigh was any of these and do not understand how there were guys on our boards who said he was.

Also stated, my brother met with several collegiate umpires in the southeast who openly laughed about the hire.

There has been only four moments in the last four years that one would consider positive:

(1) Beating Texas in Todd's first season
(2-3) Beating Vanderbilt in consecutive season
(4) Recruitment of Toles.

Toles was coming here because of family. The other three can be chalked up to the peculiarities of baseball.

I do not see anything that Todd Raleigh did well. ZILCH NADA. As our win/loss record has now gotten worse. Our recruiting has gotten worse. Our staff has gotten worse. Our attendance is worse.

I am actually feeling queasy as I write this. I love UT baseball and I love the University of Tennessee and I do not think Todd Raleigh ever has. He knew he was not qualified for this job. I know my professional shortcomings and have trouble believing that Todd Raleigh is that unselfaware (is that word?) to know he can't communicate, can't recruit quality players, can't coach pitching, and can't coach base running.

His style of berating players best exhibited in his first seasons on the Hill and while at WCU will NEVER work with quality players who have received quality coaching in high school or travel team ball. It's too late to berate those guys! It only works with guys who feel lucky to be playing college baseball.

Someone tell me (if any of you guys still go to games) does Todd's wife and family dare attend games?!?

What am I to-do, if Mike Hamilton (due to all the other distractions and turmoil in the department) decides to retain Todd for one more season to fulfill his contract?

What if Mike Hamilton finds another "Diamond-In-The-Rough" at SC-Podunk State that comes highly recommended by the Moron Jack Leggett?!?!?

I can't stand it! I had a personal interest vested in Vol baseball more than basketball and even football. I saw the program built from the dumps of Lower Hudson Field and went all the way to Rosenblatt Stadium to see MY Vols play.

I slept on the floor of a cheap hotel room in Columbia for SEC-East Tournament in extreme back pain from a unfortunate Dizzy Bat incident weeks earlier.

I have gone to Auburn and watched us lose.

I saw the "Grand Slingle" at Georgia.

I sat at Vanderbilt and Kentucky and wondered how Roy Mewborne and Keith Madison kept their jobs.

I saw us beat GaTech in 2005.

I listened on radio when we beat ECU in 2001 as I could not get tickets because ECU ticket system was completely disgusting.

I had strep throat when I went to SEC Tourney in Columbus, GA. I stripped down to a t-shirt in 2007 in 20-degree weather in Lexington during an unbelievable rally.

Yes, I may be a fair weather fan for not going to the games. But I do not think I am. I still look at scores. I still feel sick when we lose.

Yet, if Mike Hamilton were to read this (or my tweet from last night) I would just sound like a stupid redneck who does not understand the complexities of the sport or his job.

With football and basketball now struggling like baseball, I wonder what is left for me to support at UT.

If Todd Raleigh is sacked this week. (and I mean let go immediately) then I will attend every game the rest of the season as a show of support for not only the decision (finally) but as well as the players who truly "volunteered" to play under this guy.

I knew ReTodd was a failure when he was hired because he wears a jail pu$$y on his face. That's a clear indication of insecurity.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

As long as you are still listening, or watching games then I don't think you could be called a fair weather fan.

2010 for Football Vols were rebuilding, and with it known that Bray gives the Vols the best chance to win, and the same coach I think the Vols will be better than what they were last year.

i doubt if he will be fired this week, but i really think hammy will do the right thing and fire him after the season. be patient, because it will take at least 2 seasons to get the program back to just average. i support every thing you say, and really feel sorry for the players.

Haven't been to a game since I believe we played one of those LOW D1 teams in March....used to go to every game....now I have no interest in them

I don't follow baseball at all, but when I see this many people calling for Raleigh's head, I think it is time for him to go.

The potential the baseball program has compared to the actual product being put on the field is nothing short of utter embarrasmment.

The potential the baseball program has compared to the actual product being put on the field is nothing short of utter embarrasmment.

I strongly agree.
Duffy, Osborne, Norfork, Bennett, Toles all hit excellent.
Players for potential to hit excellent with the right coach.
Liles, Fritts, Thurber, etc.

The Vols like the Dallas Cowboys underachieve except worse they don't even get to the postseason.

There is no way in heck Raliegh should get another year. If he is back next season that is the clear message to the fans that the UT administration doesn't care at all about baseball. This is year 4 and it's his worst team, and that's saying a lot.

Raliegh's legacy here is he ALMOST made the SECT one year.

There are maybe 4 legitimate minor league prospects on the whole team that could make it as far as AA. Most SEC and ACC schools are locked and loaded with more than double that amount. TR's had 4 seasons to get it done. Bad relations with players, terrible communications with media, and obviously bad on the field decisions. The sad thing is that MH knows that baseball could be a good income generator if handled right. But this ain't it for sure.

I was in school when Todd Helton was there. I used to skip my afternoon classes on nice days and watch lots of home games. Now, I wouldn't go watch it if it were in my back yard and I had nothing to do.

VN Store

Back