Tommy Pharr

altidore17

The Master
I personally, would love to see coach Pharr be the next coach at UT. I played four years for him at Farragut, and his knowledge and ability to coach was more impressive than many college coaches I've been around. His track record speaks for itself, taking Farragut from a decent team into one of the top 15 programs in the country.

He would be cheap (which we all know is Hamilton's primary goal), and he would be able to recruit the heck out of TN talent (which is a lot better than what everyone thinks). Just think if UT had a coach that actually made kids better, both on and off the field?? I know it's a new concept for Hammy, but there are coaches out there like Pharr who are both great coaches and great people.

And don't give me the high school isn't the same as college argument. He ran Farragut like a college team, and I'm sure Hammer, Ethan, Rob, and Nick can all attest to that.

Last edited:
When the list of possible successors is made, he'll be Pharr from the top.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with this. I've played with/against a lot of guys who played for coach Pharr, and they never had a bad thing to say about him.
Worst-case scenario, he doesn't recruit well outside of TN and the program doesn't get a ton better and he's gone is 3-5 years. Best-case scenario, he proves that he's a heck of a coach and continues his legacy of building a program into a power, wins an SEC tourny, makes a few deep runs in the postseason, retires from UT.
We would probably see something between those two scenarios; but it's certainly better than what's going on there now.

When the list of possible successors is made, he'll be Pharr from the top.

I never said he'd even be considered, but he'd be a better pick than Chris Burke. And he's a much more realistic option than Garner is for those who think we have any shot with him.

I have no idea who Tommy Pharr is. But after I google this person up, I hope this thread is a joke.

I never said he'd even be considered, but he'd be a better pick than Chris Burke. And he's a much more realistic option than Garner is for those who think we have any shot with him.

Being a successful high school coach doesn't make him a better option than Burke.

Try thinking outside your own experience.

Does anyone think Ashley Lawson will get a look at HC. He was a great coach at TWC even tho they are NAIA but I think he would be a good choice.

Being a successful high school coach doesn't make him a better option than Burke.

Try thinking outside your own experience.

Gus Malzahn is a terrible college coach too. Try coming down from the clouds and put some logic into your answers.

Last edited:
I have no idea who Tommy Pharr is. But after I google this person up, I hope this thread is a joke.

He was a coach for Team USA's 18-u team. 458-98 record in high school through 2009, with 5 state championships. Was a pitching coach at Baylor before coming to Farragut.

But wait, Chris Burke played at UT and was a career .239 hitter in the bigs. So he is much more qualified than Pharr. What was I thinking?

Gus Malzahn is a terrible college coach too. Try coming down from the clouds and put some logic into your answers.

Help me make the connection between Pharr, Burke, and Malzahn..MALZAHN?

Does anyone think Ashley Lawson will get a look at HC. He was a great coach at TWC even tho they are NAIA but I think he would be a good choice.

No he wouldn't. Would be a terrible option, actually.

Help me make the connection between Pharr, Burke, and Malzahn..MALZAHN?

You said Pharr wouldn't translate into a college coach because he's a just a successful high school coach. Everyone said Malzahn would suck in college because he was only a successful high school coach. Malzahn has a NC. Chris Burke has no coaching experience.
So how does that make him a better candidate to coach than Pharr?

Do you have any real facts to prove your argument against Pharr? Or are you going to continue to backtrack because I made a relevant comparison to a high school coach moving into the college ranks?

He was a coach for Team USA's 18-u team. 458-98 record in high school through 2009, with 5 state championships. Was a pitching coach at Baylor before coming to Farragut.

But wait, Chris Burke played at UT and was a career .239 hitter in the bigs. So he is much more qualified than Pharr. What was I thinking?

I don't have time to look up the stats, but how about comparing his stats with HS coaches around the country, not just East Tennessee? I would imagine there will be easily scores of HS coaches around the country from various states get that type of record. A coach for USA 18-u team? I don't how much emphasis I should put on that.

Ok, you mentioned Gus Malzahn, well at least 5 years after he got into the college rank, he is still not a head coach for whatever reason. Do you really think any SEC program would offer Malzahn a head coaching job right after he left a HS, DivII or III school, maybe, but SEC?

One last word, do you know how Rod Wilks Legend was started on this board?

You said Pharr wouldn't translate into a college coach because he's a just a successful high school coach. Everyone said Malzahn would suck in college because he was only a successful high school coach. Malzahn has a NC. Chris Burke has no coaching experience.
So how does that make him a better candidate to coach than Pharr?

Do you have any real facts to prove your argument against Pharr? Or are you going to continue to backtrack because I made a relevant comparison to a high school coach moving into the college ranks?

I don't remember "backtracking". What does that even mean?

If you think a coordinator in college FOOTBALL strengthens your argument, I'm wasting my time.

You dazzled me with Burke's career MLB average. What was his career average at UT? Here's a hint: That won't strengthen your argument either..:)

I don't remember "backtracking". What does that even mean?

If you think a coordinator in college FOOTBALL strengthens your argument, I'm wasting my time.

You dazzled me with Burke's career MLB average. What was his career average at UT? Here's a hint: That won't strengthen your argument either..:)

Believe me, I don't need to strengthen any argument between Pharr and Burke, because it's not close at all. You've already proven to me you don't know much if I have to try to argue with you about this.

Going from coaching 16-19 year olds in high school to coaching 18-23 year olds in college is not a stretch. Going from never coaching any team, to running a college program is ridiculous, plain and simple.

Malzahn is an offensive coordinator. Not a head coach. So if you are suggesting that Pharr come on as a bench coach, then that is fine.

I know Mr. Pharr and there is no way he'd come to be a bench coach at UT. Tommy runs the show

Believe me, I don't need to strengthen any argument between Pharr and Burke, because it's not close at all. You've already proven to me you don't know much if I have to try to argue with you about this.

Going from coaching 16-19 year olds in high school to coaching 18-23 year olds in college is not a stretch. Going from never coaching any team, to running a college program is ridiculous, plain and simple.

Keep fighting the good fight, adderall.

Keep fighting the good fight, adderall.

Once again, not making an actual argument just complaining for the heck of it? Ok since you went here... Malzahn RUNS the offense. He is IN CHARGE of it. People doubted his ability to RUN an offense in college. They doubted he could be IN CHARGE of college kids. He proved them wrong. Does that satisfy your need to babble on and on about a football coach?

Coach Pharr would be successful at UT, very successful. It's all about player development, work ethic, and making players better people. Coach Pharr excels in each of those categories, and his record speaks for itself. Please keep looking stupid though, it's entertaining.

VN Store

Back