Our Pitching

Helton1

Our pitching will not be given a chance until Ramsey can learn to not set up at the belt. Every single time he sets up mid-thigh to the belt...never the knees. Yeah, that's exactly where we want the baseball.

I thought mitt location was only a suggestion
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I thought mitt location was only a suggestion
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Yes and no. As a catcher, you are taught to put the mitt where you want the baseball (which 95% of the time is at the knees). As a pitcher, you usually are 'aiming' for the mitt, but sometimes you use other visual keys (such as a location on a shin guard or maybe the catcher's shoulder when looking to go high and tight).

Unless the pitcher is throwing a really good breaking ball that he continually misses low with, a catcher should NEVER put the target at the belt. Even then, you don't want to do that every time the pitcher throws said curve, that would tip the pitch to the opposing dugout.

The pitching was a problem today with the Vols in to many jams. It became a disastor in the 7th inning with 7 runnings scored by the top dog Gators.

Yes and no. As a catcher, you are taught to put the mitt where you want the baseball (which 95% of the time is at the knees). As a pitcher, you usually are 'aiming' for the mitt, but sometimes you use other visual keys (such as a location on a shin guard or maybe the catcher's shoulder when looking to go high and tight).

Unless the pitcher is throwing a really good breaking ball that he continually misses low with, a catcher should NEVER put the target at the belt. Even then, you don't want to do that every time the pitcher throws said curve, that would tip the pitch to the opposing dugout.

Not so fast my friend. Back in the day -- completely ignored the mitt. Target was and should be derived working off of the catcher's knees. It probably wouldn't hurt if Ramsey was framing and making his target around his knees but I doubt the pitching problem is a result of where he has his mitt. CTR was a catcher and should instruct Ramsey if he isn't holding his mitt properly but I don't believe this is the issue.

Not so fast my friend. Back in the day -- completely ignored the mitt. (1) Target was and should be derived working off of the catcher's knees. It probably wouldn't hurt if Ramsey was framing and making his target around his knees but (2)I doubt the pitching problem is a result of where he has his mitt. CTR was a catcher and should instruct Ramsey if he isn't holding his mitt properly but I don't believe this is the issue.

(1) You made my point for me. That's the reasoning for putting the mitt at the knees- if the pitcher is aiming for the knees, put the mitt there. That way, if the pitcher hits his target (or is slightly below it), the catcher isn't moving his mitt to catch the pitch, enabling the catcher to get a few strike calls on some pitches that are just below the zone.

(2) I agree with you wholeheartedly- it is, at the very most, a small contributing factor. The catcher certainly factors into a pitcher's performance, but Johnny Bench in his prime couldn't make a bad pitcher (not saying UT's staff is bad, just some bad performances here and there) perform that much better.

VN Store

Back