4 Way Tie for 7th/8th Spot in SEC

TNVols58

From Mark Etheridge of SEBaseball.com

Scenarios:

Kentucky and LSU control their own destiny. If they sweep, they get in.

Tennessee or Alabama could get in by sweeping the other if Kentucky or LSU lose once.

Assuming there is no sweep in the three game series in Knoxville next week, the winner gets in if either LSU or Kentucky loses two games next weekend.

Assuming there is no sweep in the three game series in Knoxville next week, the winner and loser get in if either LSU or Kentucky does not win a game next weekend.

Otherwise, both UT and UA are left out.

I thought we control our own destiny due to our series win over UK but I guess that's not the case

I think what is being said is that if TN, LSU, and UK all sweep then LSU and UK get in because of their record against the other 2 tied teams...if UK and TN finish in a 2 way tie the Vols are over them

Vols get in if they end up tied with UK. Most likely Vols would have to sweep to get in assuredly.

if it is a two way tie this is the case. if a three way tie the tiebreaker is record among the tied teams (if common opponents, which LSU, KY, TN are). KY is 4-2, LSU 3-3, TN 2-4. We would be left out. AL is in the same situation as TN.

Glad they decided to tank it here at the end of the year; losing like 11 out of last 12 SEC games. They are defending Nat'l Champs and were ranked in the TOP 10 most of the year while sweeping us early on. I guess them getting beat brings them back to the pack but it also gave KY the sweep. PS Kudos to the enigma of Ole Miss taking care of business against BAMA.

Last edited:
LSU really killed our SEC tourney chances....especially their awful closer....he blew 2 late leads at UK that more than likely costs us a shot at Hoover....I hate them now haha

LSU really killed our SEC tourney chances....especially their awful closer....he blew 2 late leads at UK that more than likely costs us a shot at Hoover....I hate them now haha

Do you READ your posts? This team is still in the middle of a fight. COME ON MAN! IT'S NOT OVER!!! GO VOLS! BEAT BAMA!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I know that Hobock...but even if we were to sweep Bama the chances are unlikely since UGA and MS State are 2 of the worst teams in the SEC in the past 5 years....gotta hope UGA's top 50 pitching prospect Grimm can get them a win over UK...LSU is doing horrible but playing MS State in Baton Rouge will really help them

On the bright side though if we sweep but don't make Hoover we'll get an at-large bid for the NCAA tourney...no way the committee can reject a 15-15 SEC team with 33 wins (assuming we beat UNC-Asheville....if we lose to them we can throw out our NCAA tourney hopes)

I know that Hobock...but even if we were to sweep Bama the chances are unlikely since UGA and MS State are 2 of the worst teams in the SEC in the past 5 years....gotta hope UGA's top 50 pitching prospect Grimm can get them a win over UK...LSU is doing horrible but playing MS State in Baton Rouge will really help them

In this topsy-turvy SEC season, the odds of UT, UK and LSU all sweeping are astronomical. UK didn't beat LSU. As you have well-documented, LSU imploded. I have a feeling UK will have a letdown against UGA this weekend. We will find out what our Vols are made of. Bama does not have the explosive line-up we saw last weekend. It's looks to be a "grind-it-out" type of series. We may have to move away from the Big Inning and creatively manufacture runs. I really like our chances.
GO VOLS!!!

I really hope the Vols score a bunch of runs tomorrow against Asheville....the hitting was horrendous the last 2 games.....scoring 10+ runs tomorrow will get the offense back with some confidence

The LAST thing this team needs is a midweek loss to a REALLY BAD UNC-Asheville team

I really hope the Vols score a bunch of runs tomorrow against Asheville....the hitting was horrendous the last 2 games.....scoring 10+ runs tomorrow will get the offense back with some confidence

The LAST thing this team needs is a midweek loss to a REALLY BAD UNC-Asheville team

Agreed on all points. My question to you is, who would you throw tomorrow?

Man I really don't know...our pitching depth is so pathetic....how about giving Dylan Hochevar the start? He's pitched well in his outings this year

Steckenrider is starting....from UTSports.com

Opposing pitcher is 3-4 with a 8.51 ERA...given up 84 hits in 55 innings....if we don't rock him we'll know our bats are having MAJOR problems

Steckenrider is starting....from UTSports.com

Opposing pitcher is 3-4 with a 8.51 ERA...given up 84 hits in 55 innings....if we don't rock him we'll know our bats are having MAJOR problems

I think throwin Steckenrider is a good idea. He's shown flashes of greatness at times this year. Control has been his only issue. If were gonna make a run at this thing, we have to have another option in the bullpen. Even though he struggled at the plate early in the season, I'm surprised that we haven't even seen him in a pinch hit situation at all. He came to The Hill with a ton of hoopla. Mostly for his stick.

Vols just need to take care of their business and let the chips fall where they may. Can't blame LSU or anybody else for their plight, if they had won a couple of games earlier in the conference season we wouldn't be having this conversation. UT has swept how many SEC series in the last 5 years? Vandy last year and UGA this year. Doesn't give me great hope that we sweep Bama. I just hope we win the series.

VN Store

Back