One of Last 10 Teams Out....

TNVols58

From SEbaseball.com....Vols one of last 10 out for NCAA Tourney...can't remember the last time I saw a Tennessee team on this page....the team's got a great chance to make the NCAAs if they can make it to Hoover...pretty much always the teams that make Hoover get into the NCAA Tourney

SEBaseball.com - May 4 Regional Projections

The team has been playing a heck of a lot better of late....hopefully we can pull it off

Even if we make the tourney I still think Raleigh needs to go...

If we make the NCAA Tourney I think Raleigh will stay and probably deservedly so....making the NCAA Tourney would be awesome!....been 5 years since we made it last

Even if we make the tourney I still think Raleigh needs to go...

It would be really hard to let him go if they made the NCAAT. If he did that I would say he definitely deserves to keep his job.

I would NOT however sign him to any kind of extension.

PR standpoint it would awful to fire him. He takes a program that was in complete ruins and takes them to the tourney in year 3 and gets fired.

Yall are hilarious! Fickle much? :)
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Product of schedule?
The schedule was front loaded with the better teams who ate our lunch.

Now we are playing some questionable quality teams and are winning despite a deteriorating pitching staff.

We have 2 bad teams left and a surprising Auburn team that traditionally beats Tennessee 80% of time since early 90s.

The team would have a lot better psyche (especially Morgado) had the hard teams been at end of schedule or at least spread out better.

Had we hired an experienced pitching coach (or allowed the old coach to stay and do his job) I think we would be a lot better.

What really hurt team early on was Cody Hawn's freakish shoulder injury week 1.

I agree that Raleigh will likely stay now despite embarrasing attendance figures. But hope he gets no extension.

I disagree the program was in shambles when he took over. It was recently removed from College World Series and had 3 first round draft picks the season before.

The team is really no better now than it was in Rod D's last season or 2.

I still have ZERO faith in teams coaching staff to make the right decisions.

Sometimes wins or losses aren't the issue. Sometimes it is character, how one carries oneself, how one represents the university.

I question His Porkulence character, he carries himself with great effort and his representation is not one that I care for at all.

I'm not the biggest Raleigh fan in the world but if he does make the tournament then he deserves a 4th year. No extension of anything, but he does get a chance to show the program is headed up.

fryeguy -

Other than Oregon State, I am not sure how much Raleigh could have controlled the scheduling. I'm pretty sure the frontloaded SEC schedule is a result of the SEC office.

I'm not the biggest Raleigh fan in the world but if he does make the tournament then he deserves a 4th year. No extension of anything, but he does get a chance to show the program is headed up.

fryeguy -

Other than Oregon State, I am not sure how much Raleigh could have controlled the scheduling. I'm pretty sure the frontloaded SEC schedule is a result of the SEC office.

In fact, I like the ideas this staff had in scheduling. Those 4 game weekends are a good idea.

In fact, I like the ideas this staff had in scheduling. Those 4 game weekends are a good idea.

Misunderstood your post.

And I agree. I thought the round-robin ideas early in the season was a great idea.

If there is one area that cannot be argued has improved, it is scheduling. I don't get to make many games, but I do appreciate that we are no longer playing Tennessee-Temple three times a year.

Misunderstood your post.

And I agree. I thought the round-robin ideas early in the season was a great idea.

If there is one area that cannot be argued has improved, it is scheduling. I don't get to make many games, but I do appreciate that we are no longer playing Tennessee-Temple three times a year.

Those Tennessee Temple games were never scheduled far in advance. CRD normally had to schedule Temple, LMU and Tenn. Wesleyan to make up for rainouts.

With fewer regular season games, that is not so much an issue now.

It is very hard to get teams to come to Knoxville on short notice as makeup games. You need to find another team needing a makeup, with the same open date, within a close drive and willing to come to Knoxville. Not an easy thing to do.

I think one season we played Wesleyan and LMU in double header (or something like that) on a Tues or Wed.

Those Tennessee Temple games were never scheduled far in advance. CRD normally had to schedule Temple, LMU and Tenn. Wesleyan to make up for rainouts.

With fewer regular season games, that is not so much an issue now.

It is very hard to get teams to come to Knoxville on short notice as makeup games. You need to find another team needing a makeup, with the same open date, within a close drive and willing to come to Knoxville. Not an easy thing to do.

I think one season we played Wesleyan and LMU in double header (or something like that) on a Tues or Wed.

I use them as an exaggerated example.

I realize the concept and strategy of midweek games, but Raleigh has upgraded out OOC schedule signaficantly. Remember - in 07 the NCAA selection committee point blank said we didn't play anybody OOC and that was why we didn't get in.

No one can honestly say it was a product of the schedule. We were losing to pathetic teams ona regular basis early in the season.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

If he makes it he will get another year.

I'd be extremely surprised if we make it though. We're doing all we can to make the conference tourney.

It would be really hard to let him go if they made the NCAAT. If he did that I would say he definitely deserves to keep his job.

I would NOT however sign him to any kind of extension.
This.

If Raleigh gets them into the NCAAs, then he's earned another year. That's all we really expected this season. As much as I'm not a Raleigh fan, getting to the tournament is showing progress.

He'll be expected to show further progress in 2011.

I do appreciate that we are no longer playing Tennessee-Temple three times a year.
Ugh...that was embarrassing. It's embarrassing to ever play a team like that (although no worse than Alabama playing Georgia State in football this year).

The schedule has improved, though, and whoever improved it deserves some credit.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back