HONDA CUP WINNER
Candace Parker 2007, 2008
WADE TROPHY WINNER
Candace Parker 2007
JOHN R. WOODEN PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Candace Parker, 2007, 2008
SEC Player of the Year
Candace Parker 2007

holdsclaw...i'm surprised that all the announcers said candace was the best ever, they must have forgotten holdsclaw. that girl was unstoppable. my cousin was her pg at Tn.

39-0 and 3 consecutive national titles? Yeah, it's Chamique. Although I suppose you could argue Candace did more with less.

Scoring:

1995-96 Chamique Holdsclaw 36 583-16.2
1996-97 Chamique Holdsclaw 39 803-20.6
1997-98 Chamique Holdsclaw 39 915-23.5
1998-99 Chamique Holdsclaw 34 724-21.3

2005-06 Candace Parker 36 622-17.3
2006-07 Candace Parker 36 706-19.6
2007-08 Candace Parker 38 809-21.3

Rebounding:

1995-96 Chamique Holdsclaw 36 326-9.1
1996-97 Chamique Holdsclaw 39 367-9.4
1997-98 Chamique Holdsclaw 39 328-8.4
1998-99 Chamique Holdsclaw 34 274-8.1

2005-06 Candace Parker 36 298-8.3
2006-07 Candace Parker 36 352-9.8
2007-08 Candace Parker 38 322-8.5

LADY VOL BASKETBALL YEAR-BY-YEAR STATISTICAL LEADERS

I voted for CP because women's basketball has gotten tougher since Holdsclaw played. Just look at the SEC, LSU was not nearly as good as they are now, Duke, UNC, Rutgers and Maryland to name a few are good every year, not just UT and UConn. Parker, IMO, had less to work with also than Holdsclaw.

Here is an article from December on Holdsclaw's battle with depression. She retired from WNBA last summer but plays overseas.

After her playing days are over, Holdsclaw hopes to coach, maybe at Tennessee, where anybody driving close to campus can take a turn on to Chamique Holdsclaw Drive (not far from Pat Summitt Street). "Me and coach Summitt, we keep in contact. I'm a proud alumni of that program, and I was glad we won last year," says Holdsclaw. "It's rich with history, and if the opportunity came about to coach there, of course I would."
SI.com - Writers - Holdsclaw opens up about depression

Very close in comparison but i'd have to give the edge to Mique.She didnt have as much to work with as some of you think.As a freshman she led the LadyVols in scoring and rebounding,coming off the bench.She was definately the key to the first of 3 striaght titles.Her sophmore year she carried the LadyVols on her back to a second title.That year the competition was strong!ODU was awesome,Stanford was unstoppable,argueably the Cardinals best team ever.UCONN was riding a 35 game win streak.Beating opponents by 34 points a game.Even made a video "Yes We're That Good" lol.rekon we showed them we were better.Georgia,Vandy,both had strong teams.
Mique's Jr year is when she got some much needed help.Catchings and Randal matched with Holdsclaw,Jolly , Tiffany Johnson and P.Thompson.They were 39-0 .Well we all know what happened her senior year.Duke upset us.Chamique is still the all time leading scorer and rebounder in ncaa tournament history.
You could say Parker did more with less yet i'd have to disagree.Parker,when graduated,had all of her team mates,drafted in the WNBA.3 making big impacts already.Parker has the size on Mique but thats about it.Chamique could bring up the ball just as Parker did but could explode to the basket and FINISH.Mique was and is the best finisher i've ever seen in the womens game.Her smooth calmness on the floor was contagious.And she could take over a game like no other before or after her.The moves she made in and around the basket were amazing.Dazzling displays of finess and athleticism.Her body control was perfect,she always had her eyes on the basket.
Parker in her own right could contend for the best ever to suit up in orange.Pat Summit would proubly vote for Parker.2 titles in 3 years aint bad.Parkers size would proubly be her main asset.Being 6.4 and handle the ball the way she does,is rare still to this day.And dunking.Nuff said there..Love em both.Each are unique even though their stats are similar.Mique wins there also.Unless you count the blocks then Parker excels in that catagory..Love to all The LadyVols!

Here is an article from December on Holdsclaw's battle with depression. She retired from WNBA last summer but plays overseas.

SI.com - Writers - Holdsclaw opens up about depression
Coach Summitt seems to be the only person/coach that has been able to help Mique keep her focus. Her WNBA career was a mess in spite of all her talent.

Parker, at least at this point, doesn't seem to have those head issues.

Both fantastic Lady Vols in their own years.

The stats speak for themselves-Chamique is the choice. How would you like to have these on our all Lady Vol team? Chamique, Candace & Kara, then add at least 4 more to that trio.

Holdsclaw! She would completely take over a game where Parker kinda let fell off at times. Loved watching them both and I would say Taurasi and these two are the best I have seen in my 36 years

Holdsclaw brought a more polished skill set to TN basketball...to womens BB in general in fact...she's the most important player we've had....

Parker was and is by far the best representative of the university, Summitt, the program and the fan base....IE, says and does the right things, great player and plays hard....citizenship.....

Reactions: 1 person
That's a hard choice, because they're such different people and played different positions with different teammates. I say Chamique, because game in and game out you knew what you were getting: scoring, rebounding, defense. CP was not so consistent and didn't take to defense like Mique.

if parker & Holdsclaw played against each other in their prime, Parker wins 9 out of 10

she'd dunk her looney ass! lol

When Holdsclaw played the SEC was tougher, Alabama with Canty, Ennis, Tausha Mills, Yoland Watkins, Vandy, Nasheema Hillman, Sheri Same, Auburn, Georgia with Lakeisha Frett, Tracey Henderson, Roundtree, Holland Corn, Florida with Page, Milton, Hudson. They placed four teams in the elite eight in 96. Arkansas made it in 97 I believe, and FL almost did against Old Dominion. There were not many who could contain Holdsclaw, but I saw Big Syl handle up on Candace, but Candace could play. I have to say Chamique, but Tennessee could use either one right now. They would be undefeated I am sure.

VN Store

Back