John Adams' article on contract extension

Let's say that Coach K leaves Duke tomorrow and they promote an assistant without previous coaching experience to take over. This guy inherits a loaded roster and for the first couple of years he does OK but the team is not quite a national title contender. Over the past 3 years, this guy leads Duke to the middle of the pack of the ACC and sets records for most losses over a 3 year program in program history. Duke loses 4 straight to a team that they previously hardly ever lost to. Does Coach K's replacement get a 7th year?

Reactions: 12 people
Adams' premise is easily believable. Our rivals women's sports are annually competing for national titles but we seem to have settled into a 'good but not great' category.

Having had daughters in our women's programs, I expected CPF to be a strong advocate for the various LV teams. So far it appears his focus has been almost entirely on football except for expressing some concern about our baseball facilities. Sure football is the bell cow and further decline there would be a financial disaster. Pruitt and staff are in place with the resources they asked for, so maybe its time to address women's sports before they become emotionally irrelevant to the fans.

Reactions: 2 people
Let's say that Coach K leaves Duke tomorrow and they promote an assistant without previous coaching experience to take over. This guy inherits a loaded roster and for the first couple of years he does OK but the team is not quite a national title contender. Over the past 3 years, this guy leads Duke to the middle of the pack of the ACC and sets records for most losses over a 3 year program in program history. Duke loses 4 straight to a team that they previously hardly ever lost to. Does Coach K's replacement get a 7th year?

For a mens team,that assistant won't even last for 3yrs and will be fire.

Reactions: 1 person

Definitely not. Would NEVER happen and shouldn’t under powerhouse programs. Excellent point and analogy.

Reactions: 4 people
Until the ADept and fanbase owns up to the fact that they made a huuuuge mistake in letting a legendary coach do the AD and BoTs job without so much as raising a hand to ask one question, then we'll continue to let morons control the LVBB destiny. Morons who think we're honoring Pat by keeping this failed experiment alive.

When this "hire my closest buddy" lovefest all went down after Pat's retirement, I dared to lightly, gingerly, and tepidly question the process and the hire. I was repeatedly blown out of the water like the .gif of the nuke at sea. Here's to hoping Phil has had enough of emotional idiocy running the nations #1 WCBB program into the ground. He needs to take charge and get some real leadership in place if we "set more - records in 18".

Reactions: 7 people
Let's say that Coach K leaves Duke tomorrow and they promote an assistant without previous head-coaching experience to take over. This guy inherits a loaded roster and for the first couple of years he does OK but the team is not quite a national title contender. Over the next 3 years, he leads Duke to the middle of the pack of the ACC and sets records for most losses over a 3 year period in program history. Duke loses 4 straight to a team that they previously hardly ever lost to. Does Coach K's replacement get a 7th year?

Duke's assistants are smart enough to move on before the opportunity to replace Coach K ever arises, ala Jeff Capel (now HC at Pittsburgh). Oh, how I wish Holly had gone to Pittsburgh!

Reactions: 5 people
The comparison with the Duke men's program is a stretch, as men's and women's college basketball are different programs.... and they are associated with vastly different revenue streams ... especially at the top schools

It is difficult to hold onto your job if you are mediocre in the men's game... not so with the women's side of it....

Independent of whether you as a boarder want to use Adam's column to express the same opinion you have made multiple times on retaining or not the existing coach - reread the article and try to summarize Adam's conclusion. If the Administration considered women's basketball a priority the UT Administration would do what?

How about package deal: Holly goes to LaTech & John Adams goes to work writing for the Crawfish Sentinel? She would have a job more appropriate to her skills & he would be nearer his beloved LSU. :whistling:

Reactions: 4 people
Adams' premise is easily believable. Our rivals women's sports are annually competing for national titles but we seem to have settled into a 'good but not great' category.

Having had daughters in our women's programs, I expected CPF to be a strong advocate for the various LV teams. So far it appears his focus has been almost entirely on football except for expressing some concern about our baseball facilities. Sure football is the bell cow and further decline there would be a financial disaster. Pruitt and staff are in place with the resources they asked for, so maybe its time to address women's sports before they become emotionally irrelevant to the fans.

Good post...

Here is the point.."Football is the bell cow."
I believe that once Phil has that program back on the rise and making the money it needs to make, he will turn to other programs. Like women's basketball. Just hope it's not too late.

How about package deal: Holly goes to LaTech & John Adams goes to work writing for the Crawfish Sentinel? She would have a job more appropriate to her skills & he would be nearer his beloved LSU. :whistling:

If only every bird in East Tennessee would fly over and defecate on John Adams residence, he might be inspired to make that move.

Good post...

I believe that once Phil has that program back on the rise and making the money it needs to make, he will turn to other programs. Like women's basketball. Just hope it's not too late.

Excuse me if I don't hold out any hope for that to happen.

The comparison with the Duke men's program is a stretch, as men's and women's college basketball are different programs.... and they are associated with vastly different revenue streams ... especially at the top schools

It is difficult to hold onto your job if you are mediocre in the men's game... not so with the women's side of it....

The comparison was more to show the mindset of our athletic department. We accept mediocrity for programs that have been defined by excellence. We accept bargain bin hires for our teams when other programs make bold moves.

If you replace Coach K and Duke with Geno and UConn, does that replacement get a 7th year if UConn suddenly falls to the middle of the AAC?

I agree in theory that Duke would never allow Coach K's replacement to fall to the middle of the pack or far outside of the top 10 without some big change after 6 years. However, men's basketball is a significant moneymaker for a school like Duke. It's the most popular sport on their campus, not football.

Football is king at UT and at all SEC schools not named UK. The Lady Vols have the finest legacy of any program outside of Storrs in the game but it is still not a contributor to what it takes to run a department.

Fulmer was tasked with getting some stability in the department and for putting football back on track. The jury is out obviously but he had his priorities and those came first. He may soon be able to focus on the Lady Vols since there is still a large fan base of loyal ticket holders and donors who are very unhappy with the program's direction.

As for those who criticized the process, no school would deny a legend such as Pat the chance to promote her friend, former player and long time loyal assistant if she chose to do
so under the circumstances. Does this mean UT should be afraid to make a move? Of course not but it's how the situation worked out.

Holly will finish the ladies basketball program off. She has almost accomplished that now.

I'm glad they're not giving her an extension. Tennessee Lady Vols needs a new basketball coach. Holly Warlick is NOT the answer. Sad, but true. Are we expecting a different result based on the last 6 years?

AD Fulmer just gave her an extension, not the keys to the kingdom...Holly has to show better and I believe she knows it as well as anyone...I'm hoping she succeeds...if she doesn't AD Fulmer will, with a heavy heart, let her go...and

GO LADY VOLS!

TN Native - my response to a single article written by a long time sports writer. if you did or would read Adam's article - did he #1 recommend giving Holly a lucrative extension? #2 one more year or #3 firing her immediately? In my opinion he did nothing more than provide information already known and head the article Holly doesn't seem to be a priority. and he never answered his own question If it were a priority I would recommend ??? or I agree it should not be a priority because the academic administration has definitely not proven its ability in the last decade to fix football!

Good post...

Phil doesn't have the knowledge or the fortitude to do what needs to be done now or any time in the future

AD Fulmer just gave her an extension, not the keys to the kingdom...Holly has to show better and I believe she knows it as well as anyone...I'm hoping she succeeds...if she doesn't AD Fulmer will, with a heavy heart, let her go...and

GO LADY VOLS!

Dream on Fulmer doesn't care and doesn't have the power

Phil will do what is best for Tennessee. He cares little for nega vols so he does not pay attention to that small, vocal and negative segment of the fan base.

Reactions: 7 people
TN Native - my response to a single article written by a long time sports writer. if you did or would read Adam's article - did he #1 recommend giving Holly a lucrative extension? #2 one more year or #3 firing her immediately? In my opinion he did nothing more than provide information already known and head the article Holly doesn't seem to be a priority. and he never answered his own question If it were a priority I would recommend ??? or I agree it should not be a priority because the academic administration has definitely not proven its ability in the last decade to fix football!

Ticket price-setting power for Alleva, raise for Breaux, extension for Fargas on LSU board agenda | LSU | theadvocate.com

Phil will do what is best for Tennessee. He cares little for nega vols so he does not pay attention to that small, vocal and negative segment of the fan base.

I would hope Coach Fulmer is wise enough to not discount ANY segment of the fan base...All are valid.

VN Store

Back