Dear Holly

lvocd

This is the thread to say whatever constructive ideas you'd write in a letter to Holly, only she's actually sitting beside you on your living room sofa. :) I'll get it started:

Dear Holly,
You know, I've noticed for years now that our offense usually kinda casually jogs from spot to spot with no obvious sense of urgency. Casually drifting allows the defense to easily adjust and maintain tight coverage, so, your players are not getting the open shots that the movements are SUPPOSED to be creating. It's frustrating to watch sometimes.

I sure wish that working on drilling QUICK and PRECISE movements EVERY TIME the Lady Vols have offensive possession would be a top priority before this coming season. I am 100 percent positive that opposing defenses will find it far more difficult to read what's happening if our players are moving so darn quickly and/or making precise full-stops when necessary for a screen or pick that it's confusing.

The key to getting open is to move in such a way that the defense can't adjust and someone is left open for a shot, right? Tennessee offense has simply GOT to pick up the pace in the half-court. NO MORE CASUAL DRIFTING/JOGGING FROM SPOT TO SPOT, PLEASE!!!

Love,
A lifelong fan

Reactions: 5 people
This is the thread to say whatever constructive ideas you'd write in a letter to Holly, only she's actually sitting beside you on your living room sofa. :) I'll get it started:

Dear Holly,
You know, I've noticed for years now that our offense usually kinda casually jogs from spot to spot with no obvious sense of urgency. Casually drifting allows the defense to easily adjust and maintain tight coverage, so, your players are not getting the open shots that the movements are SUPPOSED to be creating. It's frustrating to watch sometimes.

I sure wish that working on drilling QUICK and PRECISE movements EVERY TIME the Lady Vols have offensive possession would be a top priority before this coming season. I am 100 percent positive that opposing defenses will find it far more difficult to read what's happening if our players are moving so darn quickly and/or making precise full-stops when necessary for a screen or pick that it's confusing.

The key to getting open is to move in such a way that the defense can't adjust and someone is left open for a shot, right? Tennessee offense has simply GOT to pick up the pace in the half-court. NO MORE CASUAL DRIFTING/JOGGING FROM SPOT TO SPOT, PLEASE!!!

Love,
A lifelong fan

Dear Holly,

When watching Auriamo's offense and many others, I notice they have actually installed an offense, with set plays and movement. Their offense seems to actually have a plan, purpose...get it? Ours always seems to just be chaotic and whoever can get to the basket or throw up a late three pointer...or whatever. Could we maybe work on that please?

Reactions: 10 people
Dear Holly,
I, um don't know what to say. I just can't firgure out what i need to do to, um...just work harder and the um, wins will come!

Reactions: 4 people
Dear Ms. Warlick, This is what you know about basketball coaching....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Sincerely,
Long Friend of Lady Vols Basketball

Reactions: 6 people
Holly. offensive basketball has evolved from throwing the ball to the big girl.....There's screen plays, pick and rolls, back door cuts, shots from the elbow, and the forgotten here, the 3 point shot.

Reactions: 8 people
Dear Holly,

who's catering the cookout when we win the SEC champion next season...I prefer some good BBQ, along with frosty beverages...:pepper:

PS. I'll be bringing a good friend who coaches and just loves cookouts...:)

GO HOLLY AND GO LADY VOLS!

Reactions: 7 people
Dear Holly

fish out some beers from that cooler and please pass em around :beerf::givemebeer:

Awesome! Once had a cassette tape with several versions of "Rocky Top" & enjoyed driving around Vandie campus with music blaring, windows down.

Hmmmm. I remember a time when Vanderbilt pranks were just a waste of time. I guess you have to live in Nashville.

Reactions: 1 person
Hmmmm. I remember a time when Vanderbilt pranks were just a waste of time. I guess you have to live in Nashville.

Yep...in the area for 38 years, 35 of which my wife was a Vandie employee (she's a VOL, too). :hi:

Dear Coach Warlick!

Let me first apologize for any negative comments I may have said about you or your coaching in the past. As a Lady Vol fanatic, The prestige of this program and the standards set by Coach Pat Summitt are things I hold very high and they are dear to my heart. I often times found myself comparing what she accomplished to what you have yet to accomplish in my eyes.

As I looked back and judged you tenure based on all things and not compare it to who I considered to greatest basketball coach of all time, I have to commend you and say
great Job on all that you have accomplished thus far. Many will argue that you've accomplished nothing but your resume' compared to coaches who have been head coaches during the same amount of time stands out.

You've brought in people to assist you in getting our recruiting back on track, you've brought in coaches who want to see the program successful. You've started to analyze and made a decision on the character of players you want playing for you and I feel it is only a matter of time before you're where you want to be and where the program should always be.

If I could offer some advice it would be to reshape your offense. If you don't know how to create an offense utilizing today's athletes please bring in a consultant to do so. There is nothing wrong with saying you do not know, the issue is not correcting what you don't know.

There are several young minds that you could potentially bring in to assist you with that and I hope you would consider it. We are building something special and I feel with the chemistry of the team and the past couple of classes added we are always there.

With Love,

A Die Hard Lady Vol Fan.

P.S. Develop a stare, It doesn't have to be like Coach Summitt's but one that the ladies know you mean business!

Reactions: 7 people
Dear Coach Warlick!

Let me first apologize for any negative comments I may have said about you or your coaching in the past. As a Lady Vol fanatic, The prestige of this program and the standards set by Coach Pat Summitt are things I hold very high and they are dear to my heart. I often times found myself comparing what she accomplished to what you have yet to accomplish in my eyes.

As I looked back and judged you tenure based on all things and not compare it to who I considered to greatest basketball coach of all time, I have to commend you and say
great Job on all that you have accomplished thus far. Many will argue that you've accomplished nothing but your resume' compared to coaches who have been head coaches during the same amount of time stands out.

You've brought in people to assist you in getting our recruiting back on track, you've brought in coaches who want to see the program successful. You've started to analyze and made a decision on the character of players you want playing for you and I feel it is only a matter of time before you're where you want to be and where the program should always be.

If I could offer some advice it would be to reshape your offense. If you don't know how to create an offense utilizing today's athletes please bring in a consultant to do so. There is nothing wrong with saying you do not know, the issue is not correcting what you don't know.

There are several young minds that you could potentially bring in to assist you with that and I hope you would consider it. We are building something special and I feel with the chemistry of the team and the past couple of classes added we are always there.

With Love,

A Die Hard Lady Vol Fan.

P.S. Develop a stare, It doesn't have to be like Coach Summitt's but one that the ladies know you mean business!

Hey... Bring someone into revamp the offense,,, I think possibly have heard a suggestion like this before ...matter fact there's a coach on this website looking for just such an opportunity

Reactions: 3 people
Dear Coach Warlick!

With Love,

A Die Hard Lady Vol Fan.

Love this post Lindsay!

Have you been at a game when Holly does her stomp?!?! You can hear it in the rafters!!! I think that’s her “stare” ! 😂😂😂

Love this post Lindsay!

Have you been at a game when Holly does her stomp?!?! You can hear it in the rafters!!! I think that’s her “stare” ! 😂😂😂

I haven't and I hope to finally come to a game at TBA for the first time (I have caught a few of our games on the road)

Someone else told me about the stomp but that isn't (imo) as terrifying as the stare.

In my opinion the stare represents being fed up or disappointed and it was up to the player to decide what action to take prior to being sent to the end of the bench. The stomp could be misinterpreted for a ref making a bad call or the team playing poorly and the player it may be meant for may not get the message. If you know what I mean.

A stomp and a stare would be awesome lol

Holly,

1. Treat your players as scholarship awardees. Don't be their buddy; be the professional. Attune yourself to their potential--their ceilings. Respect their giftedness with challenge.

2. Reproach generously.

3. Hold the team to the lofty "Lady Vol" standard that separated us from the rest of the country formerly. Disdain blending in with the rest of the pack.

4. Reproach generously.

5. Don't excuse mistakes and flaws as youth. (See 1)

6. Reproach generously.

7. Teach and expect better results defensively. Do not accept uncontested shots, excessive breakdowns on defense, lack of passion and grittiness. It's 5 against the ball every trip down. D up!

8. Reproach generously.

9. Accept that rebounding is not a thing of the past--or a Pat Summitt thing. Where are our beasts? Authority on the boards sends one of the most powerful messages to the rest of the field.

10. Reproach generously.

11. Learn and implement offenses that match your personnel or else recruit to something that you know and teach effectively so that the team can be successful or unstoppable.

12. Reproach generously.

13. Avoid bringing in weapons that you don't intend to use (or don't know how to use). Recruit to your strengths.

14. Reproach generously.

15. Avoid bringing in projects that you don't intend to develop.

16. Reproach generously.

17. Use video as evidence and for teaching....and reproach generously.

Reactions: 4 people
I haven't and I hope to finally come to a game at TBA for the first time (I have caught a few of our games on the road)

Someone else told me about the stomp but that isn't (imo) as terrifying as the stare.

In my opinion the stare represents being fed up or disappointed and it was up to the player to decide what action to take prior to being sent to the end of the bench. The stomp could be misinterpreted for a ref making a bad call or the team playing poorly and the player it may be meant for may not get the message. If you know what I mean.

A stomp and a stare would be awesome lol

How about trying to get your message across without all the theatrics...

Dear Coach Warlick!

With Love,

A Die Hard Lady Vol Fan.

This is exactly the type of post I'd hoped this thread would inspire. Thanks, m!

Dear H dubbed, l don't know where to start but how about a recommendation off the court. Do not do the fake mustache joke at a Volscars event anymore. No just don't do it.

Dear Holly,

Love,
A lifelong fan

It appears to me that Holly is using the same offense that Pat used during her last few seasons. It did not work that well with her either. I think the biggest problem in Holly's first couple of years was the limited ability of her assistants. Her recruiting has been very good and appears to look very good in the future. However, for her to win championships she and her staff need to move the ball faster and let the players soften up the middle by shooting from the outside rather than trying to force the ball inside every offensive play. You do not win very many games when you have 20 or more turnovers. On defense, it is difficult to stop down low scoring when you give away the baseline or allow unguarded 3s . I think an offense similar to UCon's or Norte Dame's would be much more effective than what is currently being run.

I have-not been to a practice in may years, but I think the players are afraid to shoot the 3 which has affected their confidence in shooting. The old "pat" attitude doesn't' seem to work very well during the last 8-10 years. An attitude adjustment may work wonders. I hope we get to see some of that in the next couple of years.

I know I have ramble a bit, but just trying to identify where some areas where Holly could put a better team on the floor.

Last edited:

Dear Holly,

Love,
A lifelong fan

The best thing that Holly could accomplish in improving the program is resign/retire.

Reactions: 3 people
Not intentionally off topic but reading the angry posters on the Men's Board and a discussion of
quote "You don't have to gave thugs to win, but having a few on any team doesn't hurt.

quote: "I never said thugs were a requirement for winning" critical of Barnes recruitment and on-floor decisions. the summary conclusion is being upset that it has been X years since the men's team got to the sweet 16.

the summary for many of us is for the offense to become more creative and difficult to defend and the players to exhibit 40 minutes of dedication to win every game. And to accept that opposing teams do have superior efforts when playing the LVs.

VN Store

Back