Mercedes with Seattle Storm

sisaq

Saw Mercedes playing for Seattle Storm. I just hope she improves.

Saw her playing against Jaime and the Aces. She made a few defensive plays and seemed to be putting in more effort. She looks more at home on court than Jaime does now

Reactions: 1 person
Watched some of the Aces game and Russell played with a higher motor. Seattle ran some pick and roll with Russell from the high post and it was effective. She was more active on defense. She contested more shots.

She still needs to be more aggressive but she has improved in some areas since UT.

I think she’s in a great position to learn from vets like Bird and Stewart. I’m interested to see how Russell continues to progress because Seattle will make the playoffs so she’ll get acclimated to WNBA play and tempo.

Watched some of the Aces game and Russell played with a higher motor. Seattle ran some pick and roll with Russell from the high post and it was effective. She was more active on defense. She contested more shots.

She still needs to be more aggressive but she has improved in some areas since UT.

I think she’s in a great position to learn from vets like Bird and Stewart. I’m interested to see how Russell continues to progress because Seattle will make the playoffs so she’ll get acclimated to WNBA play and tempo.

I agree! She landed with the team that could not only use her the most but that she could sit and learn for a season and then take over the starting lineup next season.

Seattle has been looking for a starting caliber 5 who could be a compliment to Stewie and Loyd who would rebound and score when needed. She fits in well with what they are building there and they are young.

If they could ever get a return on their investment of KML they would be a team to watch out for in the league with a lineup of;

PG-Canada (I think Sue has 1 season left after this one)
SG-Loyd
SF-Clark (is there now but it should be KML)
PF-Stewie
C-Russell

Seattle would've been able to fix their need at the 5 spot without drafting one and could use next seasons draft/free agency to upgrade at the 3 spot (Katie Lou or Collier are more than likely to be available when they select in my opinion as this upcoming draft is loaded in the top 12 and someone with a late pick is going to get a steal)

Tonight ESPN-2 At 9:30 PM Central/10:30 PM Eastern:

Seattle Storm at LA Sparks. Mercedes and Candace.

I agree! She landed with the team that could not only use her the most but that she could sit and learn for a season and then take over the starting lineup next season.

Seattle has been looking for a starting caliber 5 who could be a compliment to Stewie and Loyd who would rebound and score when needed. She fits in well with what they are building there and they are young.

If they could ever get a return on their investment of KML they would be a team to watch out for in the league with a lineup of;

SG-Loyd
PF-Stewie
C-Russell

Seattle would've been able to fix their need at the 5 spot without drafting one and could use next seasons draft/free agency to upgrade at the 3 spot (Katie Lou or Collier are more than likely to be available when they select in my opinion as this upcoming draft is loaded in the top 12 and someone with a late pick is going to get a steal)

Why would Seattle move Mercedes into a starting role when they have Natasha Howard playing as well as she has been? I don't think Russell's future with Seattle is set in stone at all.

Why would Seattle move Mercedes into a starting role when they have Natasha Howard playing as well as she has been? I don't think Russell's future with Seattle is set in stone at all.

Lol...Russell isn't even the first big off the bench...and people are penciling in her as the starting center.

Injuries happen, so if the Seattle coach decides that Mercedes is a project worth investing in, I could see her as a a permanent "insurance policy" big that averages under a handful a minutes per game (if needed).

Injuries happen, so if the Seattle coach decides that Mercedes is a project worth investing in, I could see her as a a permanent "insurance policy" big that averages under a handful a minutes per game (if needed).

They have Langhorne, Howard and Paris. That's a pretty deep post rotation, especially with Stewart able to defend the post as well. I did see a nice offensive rebound and putback by Russell when she first came in, but that's about all she did. She either needs to be able to rebound like Paris, defend like Vaughn from NY or score like Howard if she's going to get minutes other than during blow outs. And that's just this year. Next year will be a deep draft, and she's probably first on the chopping block.

On a side note, mlindsay may want to reassess Clark. She almost single handedly squashed the Sparks' comeback hopes. She was unstoppable in that 3rd quarter.

I don't know if CP was hurt, but she did not look good last night. Stewart had her way with her, and she was late on so many defensive rotations. All in all, no one from LA showed up except for Nneke.

Reactions: 2 people

SG-Loyd
PF-Stewie
C-Russell

As I have always believed, the talent is there, she just needed a coach that demands excellence and quit giving her empty praises. I am glad that she seemed to have possibly landed with the right team and the right situation. We have to teach our players to play tougher and to be more aggressive. We are having too many players graduate from our program and end up having difficult times making it in the WNBA. I know a lot of us want to take credit for Diamond, however, she credits playing ball oversees for developing toughness and aggressiveness. We simply do not prepare our players for the next level.

TODAY: Chicago Sky At LA Sparks:

FINAL: LA 77 Chicago 59

Diamond DeShields 19 Minutes, 1-9 FG, 0-4 3 PT, 4 Points, 3 Rebounds, 1 Assist, 0 Turnovers. +/- (-15)

Candace Parker: 27 Minutes, 10-14 FG, 1-1 3 PT, 24 Points. 6 Rebounds 3 Assists, 1 Steal, 3 Blocks. +/- (+15).

As I have always believed, the talent is there, she just needed a coach that demands excellence and quit giving her empty praises. I am glad that she seemed to have possibly landed with the right team and the right situation. We have to teach our players to play tougher and to be more aggressive. We are having too many players graduate from our program and end up having difficult times making it in the WNBA. I know a lot of us want to take credit for Diamond, however, she credits playing ball oversees for developing toughness and aggressiveness. We simply do not prepare our players for the next level.

I'm hoping it will change now with Coach Gordon on board (this is her second season) and Coach Reeves being a little more comfortable with her role within the program.

I think the Former Lady Vols returning to the school or making more of an effort to reach the new Lady Vols will go a long way as well.

Imo you can't develop toughness and aggressiveness you either have it or you don't and judging by what I've witness on social media from some of our previous lady vols who were trying to make it to the WNBA their focus doesn't seem to be on playing (or sticking at the next level).

Looking to see what the classes do starting with MeMe and Cheridene (if they get drafted) at the next level.

TODAY: Chicago Sky At LA Sparks:

FINAL: LA 77 Chicago 59

Diamond DeShields 19 Minutes, 1-9 FG, 0-4 3 PT, 4 Points, 3 Rebounds, 1 Assist, 0 Turnovers. +/- (-15)

Candace Parker: 27 Minutes, 10-14 FG, 1-1 3 PT, 24 Points. 6 Rebounds 3 Assists, 1 Steal, 3 Blocks. +/- (+15).

Diamond's inconsistent performances seem to be continuing. I think it is becoming clearer that this pattern extends beyond Holly.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back