Russell Released

teacherdean

I watched Russell play two games for the Liberty. She is a project at best. She lacks the drive and toughness to succeed in the WNBA. Holly’s crap that she was a point guard in a post body simply does not hold water. It is seldom in the WNBA that they cut height, especially a player from a major program. I really do not believe that Russell’s coaching at Tennessee put her into position to be successful at the pro level. I hope someone picks Russell up and help her be successful. She has the talent but could use some toughness.

Reactions: 3 people
I watched Russell play two games for the Liberty. She is a project at best. She lacks the drive and toughness to succeed in the WNBA. Holly’s crap that she was a point guard in a post body simply does not hold water. It is seldom in the WNBA that they cut height, especially a player from a major program. I really do not believe that Russell’s coaching at Tennessee put her into position to be successful at the pro level. I hope someone picks Russell up and help her be successful. She has the talent but could use some toughness.

Not a surprise considering she was signed to a 10 day contract til Kia Vaughn got back. Got a taste the rest is up to her.

Reactions: 2 people
I hope she can stay in the league but it was obvious when she was at Tennessee that she couldn't protect the rim and gave up to many offensive rebounds. She has a good offensive game when you can get her the ball. She is not a player that can create much on her own. Stationary target that Holly insisted we get the ball to that resulted in a zillion turnovers.
Oregon players as a group have been overrated. They have been good players but no where near top ten. Jordan Reynolds came in and looked really great as a freshman and never improved from that season on. Jaime Nared could have great games and then totally couldn't make a shot has a totally inconsistent game that you never know what you are gonna get. Westbrook hopefully is the one that will live up to her ranking. She has potential to be a terrific player.

Maybe she can hook up with another team somewhere if she wants to play in the WNBA. Good luck to her in whatever she plans on for herself in the future. She's a VFL anyway.

Reactions: 1 person
I hope she can stay in the league but it was obvious when she was at Tennessee that she couldn't protect the rim and gave up to many offensive rebounds. She has a good offensive game when you can get her the ball. She is not a player that can create much on her own. Stationary target that Holly insisted we get the ball to that resulted in a zillion turnovers.
Oregon players as a group have been overrated. They have been good players but no where near top ten. Jordan Reynolds came in and looked really great as a freshman and never improved from that season on. Jaime Nared could have great games and then totally couldn't make a shot has a totally inconsistent game that you never know what you are gonna get. Westbrook hopefully is the one that will live up to her ranking. She has potential to be a terrific player.

I wonder if the "west coast" laid back, what seems to be non-aggressive mind set, could have anything to do with what you refer to about Oregon players. There seems to be less drive in those players coming from "out there" than the eastern players. Not just Oregon, most everywhere "out there".

I wonder if the "west coast" laid back, what seems to be non-aggressive mind set, could have anything to do with what you refer to about Oregon players. There seems to be less drive in those players coming from "out there" than the eastern players. Not just Oregon, most everywhere "out there".
There's something to that. I think just general aggressiveness and having some mean in you is something that gets at least a nudge in one direction or another by your cultural DNA, if you want to call it that. In my experience that's overall a stronger thing in the South than it is out west. Incidentally, probably the most aggressive place I've ever been was near Hardy, Arkansas, on a trip to go canoeing on the Spring River. In the campground at night I found out it's the sort of place where basically everyone's looking to treat any eye contact like it's a challenge, and I was like good grief I'm not even going to be able to walk to the bathrooms and back without getting in a fight.

Anyway I'm not totally sure how all that translates to basketball, except to say that having that card in your hand, where you can say "aw hell no" to any opponent, and get your back up and say the low post is mine... that probably helps you a lot. It'd be cool to see MR land somewhere with someone willing to take a shot at developing that "dog", you know?

Russell played like a cream puff the whole time she was at Tenn. I doubt she learns to be tougher now. That attitude is instinctive and she just doesn't have it. Way too nonchalant for the WNBA.

Reactions: 7 people
I don't think being from Oregon is the reason some of our players haven't been as aggressive as other players. LVs from Tennessee, Illinois, Georgia and Alabama have played just the same and underachieved just as much. Instead of looking at where they're from, look at who has been coaching, training and developing them for four years. You get what you demand... and if you're not demanding it, don't be shocked when you're not getting it.

There is something definitely to that I call it the curry Harden effect. In the past we had our car Malone's or Charles Oakleys who would take the ball muscle up beat the hell out of whoever got in your way Rick Mahorn you don't have examples like that in the girls or men's game to teach these kids are going to the hole. It's fashionable now to go 78 between the leg dribbles step forward step back and do a pop up from the 3-point line that's our example and that's what these girls are following it's going to take coaching folks just going to take a hard-nosed old school coach who can take care of Wimpy Kid and make them Terror on her drive it ain't that hard. There are

That's why I don't worry about my girls out there that are playing they know how to take it to the rim then know how to penetrate backup and Dish a cutter. That's what's missing is examples out there male and female who go to the rack and run over Whatever Gets In their Way right now the example is to take someone off the dribble with a bunch of between the leg dribbles. They're only doing what they see get done look at the NBA now it's either assault and battery or touch fouls there's no in between

I don't think being from Oregon is the reason some of our players haven't been as aggressive as other players. LVs from Tennessee, Illinois, Georgia and Alabama have played just the same and underachieved just as much. Instead of looking at where they're from, look at who has been coaching, training and developing them for four years. You get what you demand... and if you're not demanding it, don't be shocked when you're not getting it.

Coaching makes it happen, coaching prevent something from happening, coaching is where it starts and where it ends

Russell held Russell back

Reactions: 3 people
Russell held Russell back

AGREE..... How many five foot nothing munchkins would push Mercedes all over the court and out rebound her with just a little effort!!!!! For five years we have been wanting her to act like she was bigger than everyone else..... but it just is not in her ? This throw your hands in the air and act like she did not touch anyone! Not necessary because she was not going to be physical no matter what ?

PS: Anyone who has ever been in the paint trying to get position for a rebound.... knows this is a contact sport and the physical players with the most effort are going to get the ball ! Just saying.

I have said it all through her career with the Lady Vols. She was lazy and overated. Never saw her making it in the pros. Home she proves me wrong though. But I seriously doubt it. You eithet have it or you don't. She doesn't.

I have said it all through her career with the Lady Vols. She was lazy and overated. Never saw her making it in the pros. Home she proves me wrong though. But I seriously doubt it. You eithet have it or you don't. She doesn't.

Signed by Seattle today. SUCK IT!!!!

Reactions: 9 people
NEWS | We have signed Mercedes Russell and waived Teana Muldrow

Welcome to Seattle, @MerSladezz! 👋🏀⛈️ #WeRepSeattle

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back