Nice Offseason Read

Happy that someone sees a need to improve...I am sure(here it comes Pat4life) Holly is working like "heck" to improve her coaching for next year!

60 days later - (article date) I remember when PHS would inform (us public) the areas of improvement she had focused on in year-end meetings with each player.

tougher, more aggressive, more time in gym and work on deficiencies - are cliches unless the specific skill sets (as in all sports) for improvement are defined and understood. My optimism is that all the younger players have considerable upside, a year of experience and a recognition that their high school pedigree offers no advantage on the floor. And they no longer can expect that the seniors will lead them.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm just curious. How does a player improve over the summer? Does she find a gym or playground somewhere? Does Mom and Dad hire a coach for that period. Does the school have resources for this task? It is always mentioned on all message boards about the sophomore leap or improving over the summer. How does this happen? Just curious, really.

I'm just curious. How does a player improve over the summer? Does she find a gym or playground somewhere? Does Mom and Dad hire a coach for that period. Does the school have resources for this task? It is always mentioned on all message boards about the sophomore leap or improving over the summer. How does this happen? Just curious, really.

It can work both ways as to who finds who. Elite athletes and proficient teaching-coaches are both rare.
They seek each other out.

Players go back to AAU coaches, HS coaches or like in Candace's case, she comes back to Dean, her collegiate coach. the coach who knows them and did the most and got the best out of them- in the amount of time spent with them. They either have one or, look for one.

Then you have coaches who seek out elite athletes that they feel they can help with their game.

Or, both, the coach could approach someone and be approached by someone else, in the same year.

:hi:

Teams are made in the season, ballers in the off-season....Been that way forever.

I can only speak of my own experiences, but I put a BBer through about 30 drills. Designed to see: Time, proficiency, mechanics, etc....Once the player goes through my 30 drills, we sit down and set a plan in motion. Chemistry, commitment, parent assessment, athleticism, ability, everything is considered.

As for the money,,,It's never been about that for me..It is about passion for the game I coach and the legacies I create along the way. I have had several 2-3 year prodigies in my coaching past. These are kids I invested myself into. And many of their families became mine. . . (Amber, from yawn in the face 11 year old to top ten in 8 categories in basketball-rich, Decatur GA) to (Shannon who was the third alternate for the 2018 16U USA team). I see one or two of my kids play each season here against UT.

How does a player improve, Rixxx?

They work on things in the summer, that there is no time to work on during the season. Been that way forever.

Reactions: 2 people
I never really took a shot at some of your questions:

1 How does a player improve over the summer?
2 Does she find a gym or playground somewhere?
3 Does Mom and Dad hire a coach for that period.
4 Does the school have resources for this task?
5 It is always mentioned on all message boards about the sophomore leap or improving over the summer. How does this happen? Just curious, really.

1 First they have to admit to themselves they have weaknesses in their game. And then they have to set a plan of action to improve upon them (If the coach hasn't already laid it our for them). Those that do not workout over the offseason are "perfect" already (:)olol:)).... Those are the ones I like best. My initial workout with them is designed from 37 years of coaching....I can find a crack in every single egg. They need a coach like this.

2 A gym can be as cheap as free and as expensive as 75-100 per hour. I was offered a full gym free, to work my player. It depends on many things what you pay...Who you know, who knows you,, the city, environment, and the gym holder's interest. . . . If all players want to do is play a game, a baller can always find a game. I get an email everyday from a FB site here in K-town that lets me know where/when they are playing at. It IS off-season and if they want to hit the court and practice their craft and sweat a little...It's easy to do.

3 Mom and Dad can go out and pay money for anyone they want to to work with their daughter. Low level college programs and Juco's programs look for help....But a program like UT's is quite different. They have ex-players and such who come back just to "give back" to their university. ((( This to me is a flaw in thinking because there is a shared tunnel-vision for the athlete and the concentration becomes what the program wants not what the athlete needs.))...If i had given my athlete the training I had set up for her, she would be a long range shooting,,mid range shooting,,one-dribble driver/finisher from any point of the arc. And if I ain't mistaking, this is exactly what most people said was missing from this team.

4 As far as i know, there is no compensation for this from the university. . . unless it is recognition or opportunities that may happen from being a standout.

5 I sought my athlete out on her sophomore year, because it gave me a full season to analyze her game and she was fresh enough off a "limited used" season, that she was hungry enough to ask for help...It's too early too early as a freshman to approach unless you have good knowledge and can see the incoming's game as it is now...and if they make it to being a Junior as a player, they usually already have a trusted teacher/coach and are "set" in the thought that there game is "good enough".

Good enough,,,:thud:

Last edited:
Thanks again for your thoughts. I initially thought there couldn't be enough "coaches" available during the summer to help improve the player.

Thanks again for your thoughts. I initially thought there couldn't be enough "coaches" available during the summer to help improve the player.

There a rules and limitations regarding onhand coaching for "university" coaches, that don't apply to private coaches and individuals, and players....

You can't stop a player from "summering at home", so you can't dictate all that happens to a player in their private world....Dad and mom could pay Phil Jackson to coach their daughter at home. At home, especially a distant home-base

VN Store

Back