stllvf

StlLVF Saw first game in 1976
2018 stats 158 out of 514 = .307
- 27 of 112 for Nared

then 131 - 412 = .314

50 - 140 Jackson .357

305-738 past great Angie Bjorkland
in an offense with screens for her.

so what is acceptable per individual player and team?

IMHO, the good snipers shoot over 40%, with the country leading players + 45%.

I would say a target for a team would be 40%.

.357 is certainly acceptable so Jackson certainly should be shooting them. .314 is terrible shouldn't be taking three point shots far less than one point per attempt.
We definitely always need a player like Bjorklund on the roster and Pat recognized this and we've gotten away from it with Holly in the past few season. Dunbar might have been that player but Holly never used her in that regard.
Bjorklund 915 points on 738 shots is fantastic for a three point shooter. You got someone shooting 41 percent like her you want them to take at least 8 a game and should be designated as the player that takes them. Jackson is not in that category but she certainly should take the shot before Nared or several others that were shooting a lot last season.

Reactions: 1 person
If you make 33% of threes, it is the same as 50% of 2s. Seems like anything over 33% should be acceptable

- 27 of 112 for Nared

then 131 - 412 = .314

50 - 140 Jackson .357

The two teams in the national title game last year were in the Top 5 in points per 100 possession at 115 and 117.

From an analytical standpoint a percentage for a good offensive team should be in the 36% range (if you are a very good offensive rebounding team, maybe 35%). When you get up to 38% or 39% with good offensive rebounding, you get up to the 115-118 points per 100 possessions like you see with the elite teams. I know MS State and UConn was in the 39-40% range last year.

Last edited:
.357 is certainly acceptable so Jackson certainly should be shooting them. .314 is terrible shouldn't be taking three point shots far less than one point per attempt.
We definitely always need a player like Bjorklund on the roster and Pat recognized this and we've gotten away from it with Holly in the past few season. Dunbar might have been that player but Holly never used her in that regard.
Bjorklund 915 points on 738 shots is fantastic for a three point shooter. You got someone shooting 41 percent like her you want them to take at least 8 a game and should be designated as the player that takes them. Jackson is not in that category but she certainly should take the shot before Nared or several others that were shooting a lot last season.

If she shoots 8 a game and they go deep enough to give her 30 game, she would end up with 100 makes at 41%.

I hope her summer coach is teaching her to utilize her speed to get the open looks by making her be able to do a 1-dribble attack from any point of the arc. That way the defender has to play "off of her" and cannot play on top of her at the arc.

Meme should be able to get from arc-to-glass in one dribble in about .8 seconds. This is also the time it should take for a shooter to go from reception/dribble-pickup, to release of shot. If her summer coach can get her at these levels (and they SHOULD be able to do this) (I could!), Meme will have a career year.

the statistic that doesn't exist for the public is the percent of rebounds the LVs get following a missed 3-pointer or the percent that result in points. the ole cliche of a good shot should include the ability to compete for the offensive rebound.

Assume team hitting 33%. If a team converted 30% of the 67 of missed three-pointers in 100 three point attempts = 99 (from 3s) + 40 or 1.14 points per possession .

another stat I have always felt was significant was the number of blocks versus fouling the shooter on three attempts. The good shooter would benefit from knowing the percentage when the defensive player is waving hands.

the statistic that doesn't exist for the public is the percent of rebounds the LVs get following a missed 3-pointer or the percent that result in points. the ole cliche of a good shot should include the ability to compete for the offensive rebound.

Assume team hitting 33%. If a team converted 30% of the 67 of missed three-pointers in 100 three point attempts = 99 (from 3s) + 40 or 1.14 points per possession .

another stat I have always felt was significant was the number of blocks versus fouling the shooter on three attempts. The good shooter would benefit from knowing the percentage when the defensive player is waving hands.

There in is our problem poor three point shooting team and our offensive rebounding was not where it needed to be. We also were terrible at giving up offensive rebounds on other teams misses. Games where we were really terrible we LSU, Texas A&M down there, and Bama they kept shooting until they made a basket.

There in is our problem poor three point shooting team and our offensive rebounding was not where it needed to be. We also were terrible at giving up offensive rebounds on other teams misses. Games where we were really terrible we LSU, Texas A&M down there, and Bama they kept shooting until they made a basket.

I don't think that'll be a problem this year since we have girth instead of height in the paint

If she shoots 8 a game and they go deep enough to give her 30 game, she would end up with 100 makes at 41%.

I hope her summer coach is teaching her to utilize her speed to get the open looks by making her be able to do a 1-dribble attack from any point of the arc. That way the defender has to play "off of her" and cannot play on top of her at the arc.

Meme should be able to get from arc-to-glass in one dribble in about .8 seconds. This is also the time it should take for a shooter to go from reception/dribble-pickup, to release of shot. If her summer coach can get her at these levels (and they SHOULD be able to do this) (I could!), Meme will have a career year.

Meme was always a catch and shoot perimeter shooter. I don't think I've seen her show that she can beat you off the dribble if you close in on her on the perimeter, or a consistent pull up mid-range jumper. She'd have to completely reinvent her game to play that way.

Rebounding on 3's is different than rebounding a 2 because the 3 usually proceeds a long rebound. that rebound is most likely captured by a quick determined wing player facing the hoop. that's why so many 3's tend to create offensive rebounds.

Meme was always a catch and shoot perimeter shooter. I don't think I've seen her show that she can beat you off the dribble if you close in on her on the perimeter, or a consistent pull up mid-range jumper. She'd have to completely reinvent her game to play that way.

I wanted to give her that type of game....sigh
We badly needed a driving threat from the arc who would 1-dribble and run over whatever gets in the way. It doesn't take a monster to do this, just someone who understands that if they initiate contact properly, THEY can knock the crap out of a defender. Moreso, if they understand how to finish after the contact or at least make a good attempt at a finish, refs tend to reward this also... I used a 6'3" 360 lb lineman for my last team. If they didn't move him, they had to keep trying until they did. They had to hit him (I mean make him "feel" it) then spin into their finish and make their attempt,,or they got back in line until they did.
:hi:

Last edited:
- 27 of 112 for Nared

then 131 - 412 = .314

50 - 140 Jackson .357

I don’t think the low percentages are indicative of how well a player shoots as much as it shows how bad the offensive system is. I’d love to see a stat of our percentages off catch and shoot triples vs. dribble then shoot. Greater emphasis has to be made on driving and kicking to the open shooter, or for an interior player to find the open shooter so we get as many catch and shoot opportunities as possible. It is rare to find collegiate woman who is efficient from deep either creating her own shot or shooting after taking a few dribbles. The main ones I can think of off hand are Mabrey/Ogunbowale at ND and Durr at Louisville. All of the UCONN 40-50% shooters take wide open looks and always catch the ball in rhythm. Our players don’t. We regularly see bad shots jacked up from deep, and if a player doesn’t catch the ball in the shooter pocket or if they have to put the ball on the floor, the chance of hitting the look goes down significantly. Previous bombers like Lawson, Zolman, Bjorklund, Stricklen, etc. were always best when taking catch and shoot threes. Until we get better ball movement and improve shot selection, I don’t see the percentages improving.

Reactions: 2 people
I don’t think the low percentages are indicative of how well a player shoots as much as it shows how bad the offensive system is. I’d love to see a stat of our percentages off catch and shoot triples vs. dribble then shoot. Greater emphasis has to be made on driving and kicking to the open shooter, or for an interior player to find the open shooter so we get as many catch and shoot opportunities as possible. It is rare to find collegiate woman who is efficient from deep either creating her own shot or shooting after taking a few dribbles. The main ones I can think of off hand are Mabrey/Ogunbowale at ND and Durr at Louisville. All of the UCONN 40-50% shooters take wide open looks and always catch the ball in rhythm. Our players don’t. We regularly see bad shots jacked up from deep, and if a player doesn’t catch the ball in the shooter pocket or if they have to put the ball on the floor, the chance of hitting the look goes down significantly. Previous bombers like Lawson, Zolman, Bjorklund, Stricklen, etc. were always best when taking catch and shoot threes. Until we get better ball movement and improve shot selection, I don’t see the percentages improving.

You see this too. There are drills for this..."Open out-catch-pivot into the shot...From both sides.Make sure your shooter opens-out or they don't get the ball...This teaches them to "look" ready to shoot.

NBA 3 point shooting Houston as a team .327 Golden State .357 and Curry something like .38 Durant overall percentage under .50.

Conn as team hit .4 with three Samuelson, Nurse and Dangerfeld over .4
If you accept the value of catch and shoot the carryover is at the foul line. samuelson hit 87%. which is why I was so surprised at the low 3-point shooting of Nared.

good thread knowledgeable responses thanks

VN Store

Back