Will Lady Vols Win The SEC Next Season?

Don't think we have the experience or talent at the post. Our guard play should improve greatly, but I'm not convinced that we won't have a lot of the same issues we usually do in terms of turnovers.

My guess is we finish about 3rd or 4th in the SEC.

Reactions: 2 people
I believe it could happen. Many teams lost many of their best players last season.

...Including Tennessee, who lost their two best players.

MSST and SC are my picks for SEC champs, dependent on which one of them picks up Anriel Howard with the other finishing second. SC will be pretty deep and has the luxury of not having to rely on their freshmen...a luxury Tennessee does not have. MSST returns an AA post and an excellent play making PG, with enough decent backup pieces that they should be fine, although a Longshot for FF. Mizzou is probably third best with Cunningham and Porter leading the way. If Howard stays at TAMU, I'd pick them fourth. Even if she doesnt, they still might be fourth.

So that leaves a Tennessee team made up mainly of freshmen and sophomores, no outside shooters, no proven post players, and an inept coach. Let's just say that this will be a long season...

Reactions: 10 people

MSST and SC are my picks for SEC champs, dependent on which one of them picks up Anriel Howard with the other finishing second. SC will be pretty deep and has the luxury of not having to rely on their freshmen...a luxury Tennessee does not have. MSST returns an AA post and an excellent play making PG, with enough decent backup pieces that they should be fine, although a Longshot for FF. Mizzou is probably third best with Cunningham and Porter leading the way. If Howard stays at TAMU, I'd pick them fourth. Even if she doesnt, they still might be fourth.

So that leaves a Tennessee team made up mainly of freshmen and sophomores, no outside shooters, no proven post players, and an inept coach. Let's just say that this will be a long season...

Very well put. :eek:k:

Reactions: 1 person
Might as well buy gymnastic tickets because they have more life than basketball program at this point.

i didn't know that UT has a gymnastics team competing in the SEC....i wouldn't think that one would have to buy tickets to watch intramural sports

So what happens if Jennings decides not to return for SC? Also There are plenty of Guards added and you can't play them all. Not doubting that they can return but I'm not ready to lock them in as the undisputed Top 2.

I Like what Vic has done at Miss State but to lose 4 starters is not easy to just replace and yes he brings back certain players but he loss a lot of what made them click/gel especially defensively and perimeter shooting. Where is that coming from with Shafer, Johnson, and Vivians gone. As good as McCowen is she still is a one trick pony offensively and if they don't have someone who can bring defenders away from being able to double and triple team her, it could be an interesting season for them.

I think it is wide open and although I loved Jaime and Mercedes I think we will finally be allowed to play without players being or feeling entitled to a certain position.

Let's call it for what it is, Mercedes didn't have to always perform her best because she knew no matter how bad she played she would not sit, the same for Jaime (although she always brought it in some capacity).

We have another group of freshman that are hungry with returning sophomores who are determined to get the bad taste out of their mouth and 3 seniors looking to improve their play in hopes of being selected in the WNBA draft next year. I like our chances to finish Top 3.

We can say coaching all we want but there comes a time where players just have to play, point blank, period.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
Miss State will win even if Holly has more talent he will out coach and develop his players more than she ever will, could, or be able to.

Reactions: 4 people
Highlights | Lady Vols 82, Mississippi State 64 (2.26.17) - YouTube

How quickly we forget? Some of yall just negative for no damn reason like really.

You mean out of the last 5 games?
Ms State is 4-1 out of those including the last two UT played against them! Maybe that is why some are so negative, when a team that should have no business competing against a top 2 school all-time has won 4 of the last 5 games against them! Vic would have had 2 NC at UT if he was here instead of what UT has, and UNTIL Holly proves she can actually improve her teams she will not get that benefit of the doubt, heck UT is also 1-4 against Bama within that same time period and that was a win back in 2016! Right now UT better hope they can right that ship, but until they actually prove it there arent going to get the benefit of the doubt on it!

Reactions: 6 people
Not trolling you when I say I predict they will finish 6th or 7th. Next year will be worst finish in Lady Vol history.

Reactions: 5 people
I believe it could happen. Many teams lost many of their best players last season.
"
Many teams lost many of their best players last season"... Look at those words again and understand people are now considering that we're getting better because others are getting worse. That's not growth that is growth by proxy

Reactions: 2 people
Rennia Davis, Anastasia Hayes, and Evina Westbrook will be the best bunch of players in the SEC, also Meme Jackson, Kasiyahna Kushkituah and Cheridene Green will do there part. The freshman Zarielle Green, Jazmine Massengill, Rae Burrell, and Amira Collins will do there part. I say we will win the SEC this year, as always go Lady Vols.

I expect the same finish as this past season with one post-season win, and the following season possibly two wins. That's the best I realistically hope for, although I think the roster will have more than enough talent on it to do better.

Reactions: 1 person
You mean out of the last 5 games?
Ms State is 4-1 out of those including the last two UT played against them! Maybe that is why some are so negative, when a team that should have no business competing against a top 2 school all-time has won 4 of the last 5 games against them! Vic would have had 2 NC at UT if he was here instead of what UT has, and UNTIL Holly proves she can actually improve her teams she will not get that benefit of the doubt, heck UT is also 1-4 against Bama within that same time period and that was a win back in 2016! Right now UT better hope they can right that ship, but until they actually prove it there arent going to get the benefit of the doubt on it!

He'd have 2 NC but yet he still doesn't have 1! It's easy to say what someone could've done with such and such. We've seen that over the years when we lost key players at key times.

It's easy for a program no one expects to get hot and build over time compared to those programs who everyone set out to beat. Call it what you want but teams still take pride and always get up for and give their best when they play the Lady Vols whether many of you want to believe it or not.

As stated before, rather than continue to be negative Nancy's how bout many of you disappear until the coach y'all hate so much is either replaced or wins and y'all can say I knew she could do it she just needed time and players.

He'd have 2 NC but yet he still doesn't have 1! It's easy to say what someone could've done with such and such. We've seen that over the years when we lost key players at key times.

It's easy for a program no one expects to get hot and build over time compared to those programs who everyone set out to beat. Call it what you want but teams still take pride and always get up for and give their best when they play the Lady Vols whether many of you want to believe it or not.

As stated before, rather than continue to be negative Nancy's how bout many of you disappear until the coach y'all hate so much is either replaced or wins and y'all can say I knew she could do it she just needed time and players.

Well, how many final fours or finals does Holly have? Get back with me and go count the many she has WHILE Vic took a program that has only had 10 NCAA tourney appearances in its history and took them to 2 straight finals and 4 NCAA tourney appearances in the past 4 years! Get back to me when Holly has any of those stats! This is UT Lady Vols basketball supposedly, if the program cant live up to those expectations maybe we need some more fans that have those expectations! And for programs giving their best when they play the Lady Vols, Hahaha thats rich, because Pat's girls always had those same things happen and yet there are plenty of those nice little banners hanging from the rafters! The team should be able to take those best from underling programs and still win, instead of the likes of Bama, Mizzou and even UTC beating them! But instead we have fans ok with that instead of demanding more, and no I won't disappear until Holly is fired because I have faith that the powers that be still actually care about the program and either after this next season she will either be fired or resign herself instead of continuing to let the program sink into more and more records being broken that arent good one's! Sadly the next one i see from her is maybe missing the NCAA tourney altogether!

Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back