a Softball question

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
with the new rule about batters staying in the box

"a slap hitters nightmare "

why don't the batters kick the chalk line around? you see it in the men's game all the time

I've seen some umpires miss the call a few times this year. For Holcomb and McClain it is to obvious not to call both of them almost step on the plate.
Slappers still get away with it quite a bit considering how the rule is written and the chalk line is usually gone by the third inning. I think it depends on the Ref how it is called.
Wait for the inside pitch or middle of the plate gonna take patience with the new rule.

I've seen some umpires miss the call a few times this year. For Holcomb and McClain it is to obvious not to call both of them almost step on the plate.
Slappers still get away with it quite a bit considering how the rule is written and the chalk line is usually gone by the third inning. I think it depends on the Ref how it is called.
Wait for the inside pitch or middle of the plate gonna take patience with the new rule.

That is my very problem with the rule. Either call it or forget it!! Any umpire who is watching the left side of the slapper as the pitch come in can see clearly if the foot is over the line at all. He just has to have the nads to make the damn call every time it happens. Call it the same way for both teams according to the rule. Leach and Allaya and most every other one team that slaps and bats has been called at some time. Rule is just like the pitcher rule which Barnhill abuses nearly every pitch. JMHO:banghead2::bad::twocents:

Last edited:
with the new rule about batters staying in the box

"a slap hitters nightmare "

why don't the batters kick the chalk line around? you see it in the men's game all the time
Happens a lot in travel ball also. I've seen many girls while they're "digging in" kick at the chalk.

I think this rule has become too picky. How can an umpire consistently call balls & strikes and be watching to see if any part of a running foot is outside of a mostly erased chalk line? He can't.

Before, the rule was there for egregious violations (whole foot outside the box at contact).

This rule, if enforced, will essentially eliminate slapping.

Reactions: 2 people
I think this rule has become too picky. How can an umpire consistently call balls & strikes and be watching to see if any part of a running foot is outside of a mostly erased chalk line? He can't.

Before, the rule was there for egregious violations (whole foot outside the box at contact).

This rule, if enforced, will essentially eliminate slapping.

EXACTLY!:mf_surrender:

By the way does the travel ball program have this updated rule as well? I would hope so since it is the feeder system to college ball.

Reactions: 1 person
They call it very inconsistently-- which often works in our favor. If the ump starts watching those players prone to stepping out, CJ would be out almost every AB. Trying to adjust seems to have messed with her hitting, so she's usually an out either way. Holcomb has adjusted better, but she still gets away with a few. But then, Barnhill gets away with crow-hopping almost every pitch.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't like the rule never will. I think as long as any part of the foot is in the box it should be a valid swing. This rule has made slappers less effective and I expect you will see that part of the game vanish some as teams go for more conventual hitters. The ideal is Leach who can slap but also hit regularly.

well i guess a better question would be,why is the Ump lined up on the inside of the plate ?

he can't see the outside of the plate

well i guess a better question would be,why is the Ump lined up on the inside of the plate ?

he can't see the outside of the plate

Because most don't know a ball from a strike anyway so guess he gets where he is comfortable and best position not to get hit with a pitch.

VN Store

Back