Candace Parker on USA Basketball

Great read and gives her perspective finally. Also very classy when she obviously could have went in a different direction !

Way to go Candace !

https://www.sbnation.com/wnba/2018/4/25/17277018/candace-parker-usa-basketball-olympics-is-a-nah

Thanks,Va Volfan for posting this. We have all looked askance at this from the time she was left off the Olympic team,though we pretty much knew that her omission was glaring when it happened. Candace has too much class to cast aspersions,but at this juncture I don't. I still think this farce was orchestrated by a snake in the grass who saw a way to get back at a player who punctuated a loss for him.

Reactions: 4 people
Have any of her former USA teammates spoken on the matter? It would be interesting to get a players opinion.

Reactions: 1 person
Parker repeated that failing to make the 2016 Olympic team had nothing to do with her performance on the court. For her to say that, I wish she would have shared why she believes she didn’t make the team. The article doesn’t go there.

Reactions: 2 people
Parker repeated that failing to make the 2016 Olympic team had nothing to do with her performance on the court. For her to say that, I wish she would have shared why she believes she didn’t make the team. The article doesn’t go there.

She dosen't want to say it because we all know the answer. "Geno was the coach, simple as that!

Last edited:
Have any of her former USA teammates spoken on the matter? It would be interesting to get a players opinion.

They wont because many of the teammates were coached by the person responsible for leaving her off the team.

They wont because many of the teammates were coached by the person responsible for leaving her off the team.

candace need to call lady vols athletic department and say hey, give me that coaching job because I want to beat Geno so bad.That's the only way she can get even with Geno.

candace need to call lady vols athletic department and say hey, give me that coaching job because I want to beat Geno so bad.That's the only way she can get even with Geno.

She doesn't need to get even with Geno, Karma is doing it for her. He's gone 2 seasons with out a national title and regardless of how him and his fan base want to spend it they where hurt that they didn't land Bruenelle (#1 prospect in the 2019 class) and Ezi (one of the best foriegn prospects) decided to pass on them and turn pro. (They just knew she was going to UConn) Stevens also left which hurts their chances even more of winning a championship next season.

He could be facing a 3 year championship drought. Not to mention that for the second year in a row (at this time) he has not 1 verbal from a top 60 recruit and that use to never happen.

Reactions: 3 people

The key word here is "former" the USA (u-con) team that represented our country are a mirror of their college coach (notice I say college coach) and his way of doing and representing things. Candace, as to the last Olympic Team, don't feel so bad about not being a part of it.. Remember when you lay down with dogs, you come away with fleas....

I have been wondering what kind of coach she would make. It seems hard for most "star" players, in any sport, (except maybe baseball) to make the move to be a really good coach.
Along these lines I have been wondering if maybe Lawson might not be able to coach.

Louise Brown was shown a film by TN coaching staff of a film illustrating what is
desired for post play. She said, " That is me, count me in." Sure hope that film
was of Candace Parker. She may actually be the same height as Candace.

She doesn't need to get even with Geno, Karma is doing it for her. He's gone 2 seasons with out a national title and regardless of how him and his fan base want to spend it they where hurt that they didn't land Bruenelle (#1 prospect in the 2019 class) and Ezi (one of the best foriegn prospects) decided to pass on them and turn pro. (They just knew she was going to UConn) Stevens also left which hurts their chances even more of winning a championship next season.

He could be facing a 3 year championship drought. Not to mention that for the second year in a row (at this time) he has not 1 verbal from a top 60 recruit and that use to never happen.

He will have a few by the end of the signing period. Although id hope he gets Zero, probability says he's waiting on the players he wants and he normally gets those players. Minus Brunelle

Oh, Geno didn't want Brunelle anyway, right? Lol.

Apparently, Samantha wasn't good enough to get a scholarship to UConn. Local media made sure to point out that UConn broke up with her first.

Anriel Howard will be similarly dissed by the UConn fanbase as being too flashy and/or trashy, and how dare she want to go play for a coach that can improve her game and her WNBA stock.

I don't know when Geno will retire, but I will enjoy watching their meltdown when that happens.

Reactions: 4 people
Apparently, Samantha wasn't good enough to get a scholarship to UConn. Local media made sure to point out that UConn broke up with her first.

Anriel Howard will be similarly dissed by the UConn fanbase as being too flashy and/or trashy, and how dare she want to go play for a coach that can improve her game and her WNBA stock.

I don't know when Geno will retire, but I will enjoy watching their meltdown when that happens.

Geno may have reached the "good enough" syndrome.
Next year will say much.

Missing one natty was an anomaly,,
missing two was a "wake up call",
missing three is a streak.

She went 2-0 against Geno in college and dunked on UCONN’s home court in a game where she had 30 points, 12 rebounds and 6 assists. Geno may have cut her from the team, but I’d say she’s done just fine for herself. Glad to see her talk about her experience with an honest response while not trashing anyone in the process. Good for her taking the high road.

Reactions: 3 people

It's a payback for dunking on UCONN!

VN Store

Back