17 Chelsea Seggern 3b
3 Scarlet McSwain lf
44 Abby Lockman c
11 Haley Bearden 1b
24 Cailin Hannon rf
6 CJ McClain cf
12 Caylan Arnold p

Reactions: 1 person
Nobody wants:thud: Gabby to do well more than i do, however in the past her wildness has killed every flying insect over 4 feet high and today killing every worm out of the strike zone.

Last edited:
ETSU hasn't scored on UT in a decade and now they've scored three. It was an easy run rule shutout till Sprang walked most of the ETSU order and the LVs defense went to sleep.

Now ETSU is playing with confidence and the LVs have gone flat. Sprang is a momentum killer. The LVs were up 9-0 after three innings, then Sprang comes in and ETSU scores twice on no hits.

I don't see how we can pitch her in SEC or postseason play. Maybe she can work on ball control over the summer and find a good sports psychologist. Right now, the stage seems much too big for her.

Last edited:
Sprang totally no help this season wonder if she will ever be able to pitch at this level. We've been through this before with other pitchers.

Sprang totally no help this season wonder if she will ever be able to pitch at this level. We've been through this before with other pitchers.

Yeah I wonder the same thing. She's the wildest pitcher I can ever remember pitching for UT. Aucoin walked a lot of batters but Sprang walks a batter per inning and has thrown more wild pitches in 30 innings than most pitchers would in 150 innings.

I don't think there has ever been a pitcher at UT who improved dramatically after their freshman year. The pitchers who have ended up really good came in good and pretty much stayed good, in some cases refining their skills and improving a little from year to year. On the other hand, some have regressed after their freshman year. It will take dramatic improvement for Sprang to be a reliable contributor in the SEC.

Sprang is such a likable player-- wish she could find her groove. You can tell she wants to so badly, and we need her so badly in the postseason. She was the #3 recruit in the country-- all-state, all-conference, all-everything. I'm sure the Weeklys are trying all sorts of things to help her get past whatever is holding her back, but nothing seems to be working. ETSU was supposed to be a confidence builder before heading into the stretch...

Last edited:
Was at the first game Saturday, good weekend overall. I have bemoaned the pitching at times and have bemoaned the hitting too but what will beat us in the post season will be our defense. Cannot give up errors on routine grounders over and over it keeps turning the better teams lineups over and that will be the end against good to great teams. I have long term hope for Sprang because I think most of it is mental. Unlike others we have had "when" she has control she gets batters out except since she is a sinker pitcher there seems to be an infield error every inning she pitches then that adds to the mental troubles. Maybe it is the spin she puts on the ball that creates grounders with tough spin but for her to be long term successful control is obvious but you have to have good infield defense to back her. I saw her pitch a fall game and she was wild then (not as wild) I think she pitched 5 maybe 6 innings and maybe 2 balls left the infield in the air.

Nobody wants:thud: Gabby to do well more than i do, however in the past her wildness has killed every flying insect over 4 feet high and today killing every worm out of the strike zone.

Gabby was one of the top 5 HS players in America. They immediately started tweaking her when she arrived at UT back in the Fall.

I'm not a pitching expert, but there seems to be a hitch with the elbow and maybe a late release?

If Gabby could throw strikes to the lower part of the zone, folks would swing at some of the balls she's throwing. Would maybe reduce the pressure she's under.

I wonder if she had these control issues even in HS.

You see some wild pitches and passed balls with drop ball pitchers. Hoover from LSU had several, but then she can strike out 13 batters.

We really need Gabby to improve for post season.

Edit: posted before I read the whole thread. Sorry for the repition.

Last edited:
Caylan Arnold named SEC Pitcher of the Week-- second time this season. Kudos, Caylan!

Sprang is such a likable player-- wish she could find her groove. You can tell she wants to so badly, and we need her so badly in the postseason. She was the #3 recruit in the country-- all-state, all-conference, all-everything. I'm sure the Weeklys are trying all sorts of things to help her get past whatever is holding her back, but nothing seems to be working. ETSU was supposed to be a confidence builder before heading into the stretch...

Agree. Sprang is a very friendly, happy young lady. She's easy to root for.

Maybe they try an outside pitching coach?

Agree. Sprang is a very friendly, happy young lady. She's easy to root for.

Maybe they try an outside pitching coach?

100% agree about Gabby. You can tell from her overall demeanor She is thinking too much. Seems very likeable and just been in a funk since she got to the hill. I was told that they started changing some things with delivery right off the bat. I guess i wonder how you are the 3rd best pitcher in the class and have a delivery problem anyway. I would like to hear what her parents think about this freshman year disaster. I heard ralph say other day on the broadcast that she was still having some Motion issues which i assume was from their standpoint. Never in all my years involved in HS and above in softball sent someone fall apart from the minute they enroll in school. I pray that this young lady finds herself in softball and life. Don't look like she is having much fun now days. JMHO:loco:

Still in contention for a shot at getting home field advantage for the super regionals. I think we have to win the next three series and probably sweep at least one of them. Our rpi is nine and were ending with three ranked teams although all three are ranked lower than us.
If we lose the Bama series I think were almost out of the running for being at home for the super regionals unless we win out and the SEC tourney.

Karen thought the LSU doubleheader was a disadvantage for the LVs, so she must really hate the idea of this one. Bama scheduled a lot of fan events today and it will be a rowdy sellout crowd. The LVs haven't done well OTR in the SEC and a rival game with Bama is always tough. Bama's power hitters have been on a HR streak lately so we could see Ralph cycling pitchers.

A big positive is Osorio has been walking a lot of batters, and the LVs have patient hitters. Osorio is only 14 strikeouts away from 1000-- it would be stellar if we don't let her get that record this series.

starting lineup

NAME POSITION
10 Aubrey Leach 2b
2 Jenna Holcomb lf
55 Meghan Gregg ss
17 Chelsea Seggern 3b
13 Amanda Ayala dp
11 Haley Bearden 1b
3 Scarlet McSwain rf
44 Abby Lockman c
6 CJ McClain cf
1 Matty Moss p