Kara Lawson named to new UT Board

Any of these names setting off red flags? I’m not seein any.

A hand picked board by Bill Haslam, who is going to retire as governor and take over the presidency at UT. Geeze what can go wrong? And you're right she is part of the problem now and so is Lampley. They're no more than pawns and scapegoats for the Haslam family. This is a bad deal folks for UT athletics, don't believe see the events from this past November and December that was all Haslam's. And Bill and little Jimmy are pissed because Bev went rogue and put Phil in charge of athletics instead of Curries right hand man ( whom conveniently worked for little Jimmy in Cleveland)

Reactions: 6 people
It was all just a matter of time for Kara to get somewhere on at UT.

She could just be the next coach in waiting for the Lady Vols bb team.

Reactions: 2 people
A hand picked board by Bill Haslam, who is going to retire as governor and take over the presidency at UT. Geeze what can go wrong? And you're right she is part of the problem now and so is Lampley. They're no more than pawns and scapegoats for the Haslam family. This is a bad deal folks for UT athletics, don't believe see the events from this past November and December that was all Haslam's. And Bill and little Jimmy are pissed because Bev went rogue and put Phil in charge of athletics instead of Curries right hand man ( whom conveniently worked for little Jimmy in Cleveland)

Tinfoil hat alert.:lolabove:

Reactions: 3 people
Tinfoil hat alert.:lolabove:

I'm sorry, have you been hiding under a rock the last few months?

https://orangeandwhitereport.com/ut-board-of-trustees-behavior-during-coaching-hire-shows-a-disturbing-disconnect-between-decision-fc9ea9e82155

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
It was all just a matter of time for Kara to get somewhere on at UT.

She could just be the next coach in waiting for the Lady Vols bb team.

Geez, i hope not. Just what we need, someone who has never coached before taking over as hc.

You might want to pay attention to the news...Bill Haslam has repeatedly said that would not be president of UT.

You might want to pay attention to the news...Bill Haslam has repeatedly said that would not be president of UT.

And he's spent the last three years telling dozens of people behind the scenes that it is the job he covets. Many around him believe that he only ran for governor so he could eventually get the post.

We'll see. The exposing of his power play led him to make the statement, but I still wouldn't count him out until all the votes have been cast when Dr. Joe retires later this year.

The other side of the "money" wants Dr. Nolan, the ETSU President.

Reactions: 5 people
Go way back and look at the search for an AD last February, who did the Haslam family put on the search committee? Peyton Manning and they did that so people would think Manning signed off on Currie, when in fact Manning backed Blackburn and Fulmer the entire time. Neither one of those received a formal interview from UT, Currie was the only one. Currie was someone the Haslam's knew they could control from day one and they did just that.

My advice to Lawson and Lampley is to be careful and know who you're getting involved with. If all of this goes through these 2 could end up universally hated by this fan base because the Haslams will throw them on the sword just like they did Manning over the last year.

Reactions: 3 people
Go way back and look at the search for an AD last February, who did the Haslam family put on the search committee? Peyton Manning and they did that so people would think Manning signed off on Currie, when in fact Manning backed Blackburn and Fulmer the entire time. Neither one of those received a formal interview from UT, Currie was the only one. Currie was someone the Haslam's knew they could control from day one and they did just that.

My advice to Lawson and Lampley is to be careful and know who you're getting involved with. If all of this goes through these 2 could end up universally hated by this fan base because the Haslams will throw them on the sword just like they did Manning over the last year.
You and others posting in on this thread make it out as these people are going to run the UT system. Not so, they are only an advisory board. They can make all the recommendations they please, but the board of the UT system does not have to listen to them or vote anything the advisory board recommends. Lawson and Lampley are under no pressure as to running the UT system. They are there to give their best opinions and ideas as to the things put forth or things they themselves see and think.

Reactions: 1 person
Any of these names setting off red flags? I’m not seein any.

After doing more research there is one name that screams at me, John Compton. Lets see here.....

The Tony Basilio Show
John Compton, who was the former CEO of Pilot for a hot minute a few years back. And I mean he was there for about two months if that after attaining superstar status as President of Pepsi Co. Compton basically left Pilot after 60 days. That he's on Governor Haslam's newly formed board is curious to say the least.

Exec who led Pilot Flying J briefly after Jimmy Haslam bought Browns has new job | cleveland.com

"You and others posting in on this thread make it out as these people are going to run the UT system. Not so, they are only an advisory board. They can make all the recommendations they please, but the board of the UT system does not have to listen to them or vote anything the advisory board recommends. Lawson and Lampley are under no pressure as to running the UT system. They are there to give their best opinions and ideas as to the things put forth or things they themselves see and think."

Sorry you are confused. She and Lampley are most certainly on the UT Board--not the advisory committees you are referencing. The makeup of those committees has not been established yet.

I'm a lifelong Republican but I'm ready to elect more Democrats to breakup the Haslam controlled grip over the party and hence the state.

You and others posting in on this thread make it out as these people are going to run the UT system. Not so, they are only an advisory board. They can make all the recommendations they please, but the board of the UT system does not have to listen to them or vote anything the advisory board recommends. Lawson and Lampley are under no pressure as to running the UT system. They are there to give their best opinions and ideas as to the things put forth or things they themselves see and think.

No one is saying Lawson or Lampley are making decisions at UT, simply they will be scapegoats for the Haslam family.

Bill Haslam is going to retire as governor and desperately wants to become president of UT. He's arranging the board, while he still has power to do so. If you think for a minute he's doing this for the best interest of the state and UT then I can't help you. He setting up a group of people who won't fight him tooth and nail on every decision he makes if he were to become president. He's also setting the board up that will vote him in as president of UT. The Haslam family is pissed about Currie getting the ax, their boy Schiano not getting hired ( Jimmy tried to hire him in Cleveland
wkyc.com | Hue Jackson 'going rogue', Jimmy Haslam-Greg Schiano connection: Donovan Live Postgame Show )

--Jimmy Haslam's history with Greg Schiano. There have been reports that Haslam was involved in the University of Tennessee's hiring of Schiano prior to Sunday's social media backlash that resulted in the Volunteers backing out. Jimmy Donovan explains that the Browns interviewed Schiano for head coach in 2014, a move that might have been the last straw in the troubled relationship between Joe Banner and Michael Lombardi.

"It's hard for me to believe that Haslam was not involved at some level in Tennessee's pursuit of Schiano," Jimmy D. told me.

And they're also pissed because Bev hired Fulmer to be AD, whom little Jimmy worked so hard to push out.

Believe what you will but this is in no way shape or form good for UT or those involved.

The 11 appointees are the new BOT. They're not advisory-- they're the voting members. As UT's governing body, university policy, executive hires, contracts, etc. require their approval.

Compton is more than a former CEO of Pilot's travel plazas-- the dean's suite in the Haslam Business building is named for him. He's a close friend of the Haslams, as is Raja Jubran. Lamprey, Pryse and Evans are the other three holdovers from the current BOT. Charlie Anderson and the other Haslam dissenters were purged. Kara Lawson was selected to give women's sports a voice, but make no mistake-- the new Big Board is stacked in the Haslams' favor.

Last edited:
The 11 appointees are the new BOT. They're not advisory-- they're the voting members. As UT's governing body, university policy, executive hires, contracts, etc. require their approval.

Compton is more than a former CEO of Pilot's travel plazas-- the dean's suite in the Haslam Business building is named for him. He's a close friend of the Haslams, as is Raja Jubran. Lamprey, Pryse and Evans are the other three holdovers from the current BOT. Charlie Anderson and the other Haslam dissenters were purged. Kara Lawson was selected to give women's sports a voice, but make no mistake-- the new Big Board is stacked in the Haslams' favor.

And who do you think gets hired as UT's president after DiPietro retires?

And who do you think gets hired as UT's president after DiPietro retires?

Well, not Bill Haslam, unless he changes his mind. He formally removed his name from consideration in January and reiterated to the General Assembly a few weeks ago that he has no interest in being named UT president. He might have a change of heart... or he might have wanted to tee up the board for somebody else.

VN Store

Back