Floor Leadership

teacherdean

One thing I think would help Holly is floor leadership, we really have not had that since Harrison. I think next year Davis will be that person. There have been times in the last two years when it seemed like the life was sucked out of our team and there was zero floor leadership. Our ordained floor leaders were as quiet as a mice tip toeing on cotton. We need vocal floor leadership. Green also appears to have some leadership skills, however, we need some upper class floor leadership.

Reactions: 1 person
One thing I think would help Holly is floor leadership, we really have not had that since Harrison. I think next year Davis will be that person. There have been times in the last two years when it seemed like the life was sucked out of our team and there was zero floor leadership. Our ordained floor leaders were as quiet as a mice tip toeing on cotton. We need vocal floor leadership. Green also appears to have some leadership skills, however, we need some upper class floor leadership.

The way Westbrook and Hayes turn the ball over it will not matter who is the floor leader. What this team really need is a real Coach.

Reactions: 2 people
The way Westbrook and Hayes turn the ball over it will not matter who is the floor leader. What this team really need is a real Coach.

Turned*

Who knows we could see improvement IM of the wait and see approach

Last edited:

None with standing, the coaching has to get better, if they actually gave Holly an extension, I hope it is loaded with a lot of stipulations and goals. She is a good person who is in over her head. She has way too much talent to be going out in the second round of the SEC tournament to lesser talent.

Reactions: 4 people

Sadly, the only thing that would help is for Horrible Holly to find another team to run into the ground. Until she is gone, we will continue to be a program that cannot compete with the elite, plain and simple truth.

How many more years of this fiasco do we have to endure before she is gone?
:loco:

Based purely on my observations of body language and facial expressions of all the players at critical points during both wins and losses, the person most likely to be willing to get tough with her teammates when necessary will likely eventually be Evina Westbrook -- she's intense. (In a good way... like Kara Lawson and Nikki Anosike were.)

Her confidence was shaken this past season when the team took a tumble from its early success. All that clearly took a toll on her. But if changes in coaching strategies occur before next season and her confidence in what's being taught in practices grows because she can see and feel positive results, I think that will open the door for Westbrook to take over.

Rennia Davis will be the go-to scorer, but I see her as more the quiet lead-by-example type.

Westbrook has a natural fierceness, I think. Poor play irritates the heck out of her. Hopefully she'll be willing to continue to grow that quality as she grows her game and then use it to bring the rest of the team along with her.

Again, my opinion is based solely on observation -- but I'm really, really observant. :p

Reactions: 6 people
I like Cheridene Green or Meme Jackson as floor leaders next year. Agree that Rennia is more of the silent type.

None with standing, the coaching has to get better, if they actually gave Holly an extension, I hope it is loaded with a lot of stipulations and goals. She is a good person who is in over her head. She has way too much talent to be going out in the second round of the SEC tournament to lesser talent.

Did you mean NCAA?
Oregon State was ranked ahead of us in Coaches' Poll.

SEC was QF to South Carolina. We missed 34 shots in the paint, many of them open on breakaway layups.

I do think you are right that there will be higher performance expectations (perhaps not in writing but stated).

Last edited:
Based purely on my observations of body language and facial expressions of all the players at critical points during both wins and losses, the person most likely to be willing to get tough with her teammates when necessary will likely eventually be Evina Westbrook -- she's intense. (In a good way... like Kara Lawson and Nikki Anosike were.)

Her confidence was shaken this past season when the team took a tumble from its early success. All that clearly took a toll on her. But if changes in coaching strategies occur before next season and her confidence in what's being taught in practices grows because she can see and feel positive results, I think that will open the door for Westbrook to take over.

Rennia Davis will be the go-to scorer, but I see her as more the quiet lead-by-example type.

Westbrook has a natural fierceness, I think. Poor play irritates the heck out of her. Hopefully she'll be willing to continue to grow that quality as she grows her game and then use it to bring the rest of the team along with her.

Again, my opinion is based solely on observation -- but I'm really, really observant. :p

Agree. If she would concentrate on free throws and her short jumper, it would mean a world of difference for the team and her confidence.

I believe she will be part of the new leadership. Meme will provide the needed Senior leadership. Both players play all-out on the court and Meme this past year has added technique and example... She improved her game each outing. Had lapses, but most importantly, began to play per game, to her strengths instead of trying to force things.

She continues this and she will be a good leader.

I see what you see in Evina... Her fire runs deep.

Ala, Chamique...The comparisons are there.

I like Cheridene Green or Meme Jackson as floor leaders next year. Agree that Rennia is more of the silent type.

CHeridene is the x-factor for me...The enigma.
Can she produce, as a starter, and match the numbers she puts up for short spurts.?

Last edited:
Evina has to be a leader. SheÂ’s the most naturally confident of all our players, including Davis, who is more of a silent type.
I think her game took a major hit after that A&M loss because of a loss of confidence.
I think people have forgotten that during the early parts of the season(when we were undefeated) we had stretches where we were actually pretty good, particularly against Stanford, UK, Texas. Many of those stretches were due to a confidant evina Westbrook. I think she closed the game against auburn too. If this team has any hopes of being a top team, evina Westbrook will have to be a top player.

Did you mean NCAA?
Oregon State was ranked ahead of us in Coaches' Poll.

SEC was QF to South Carolina. We missed 34 shots in the paint, many of them open on breakaway layups.

I do think you are right that there will be higher performance expectations (perhaps not in writing but stated).

Actually yes but both we went out rather soon.

Yes Westbrook certainly has to be a leader... but can only lead within the framework of what she is directed to do from the coaching given her.... Meighan and Diamond were leaders also.... but not the type of leadership we needed JMO The early part of last year I don't think was the best benchmark.... an off year for Stanford... bad KY team and Joyner Holmes-less Texas squad.... i forget the record were we 15 and 0.... but weren't hitting the tough competition till later in year.... i hope every year for a complete back to the fundamentals primer and go from there

Coaches don't turn the ball over. What we need is Meme to get serious on lay ups. It isn't cute or funny when she blows them. She really needs to get on herself about finishing at the rim. If she could make 80 percent of her layups, she could be a leader. I just can't understand how she will lead us and grin when she blows points. She needs to get her head on fundamentals, no blaming coaches, those misses are on her from now on.

Coaches don't turn the ball over.

No, but coaches are responsible for coming up with practice plans and ball-handling drills that are supposed to adequately prepare the players to face opponents.

If, say, the guards who are turning the ball over too much aren't being forced by coaches to spend extra time in practice focusing on strict ball control and how to maintain it under intense pressure from opposing players, then how is that not a coaching issue? What if the coaches aren't coming up with drills that help the guards become better ball handlers?

I do not know what drills the staff has in place to make guards better at controlling the ball without turning it over. But it most certainly IS up to the coaches to make sure they come up with a plan to help players become better ball handlers.

Reactions: 3 people
No, but coaches are responsible for coming up with practice plans and ball-handling drills that are supposed to adequately prepare the players to face opponents.

If, say, the guards who are turning the ball over too much aren't being forced by coaches to spend extra time in practice focusing on strict ball control and how to maintain it under intense pressure from opposing players, then how is that not a coaching issue? What if the coaches aren't coming up with drills that help the guards become better ball handlers?

I do not know what drills the staff has in place to make guards better at controlling the ball without turning it over. But it most certainly IS up to the coaches to make sure they come up with a plan to help players become better ball handlers.

Haven't you heard? Coaches are supposed to get paid. It's up to the players to figure out what whole basketball game thing themselves.

Haven't you heard? Coaches are supposed to get paid. It's up to the players to figure out what whole basketball game thing themselves.

Cute sarcasm. I've been at practices. I've been behind the bench at games. The coaches are doing the things they get paid to do. Coaches cannot force effort or guarantee execution. If plays and strategies are designed to get and result in open layups, whose fault is it if they miss the layup...?

I'm someone that thinks the coaches & players should share wins & losses equally as a team.

Ultimately, the coaches will lose their jobs if enough wins don't come or there are behavior issues not corrected. Along the way, players can also be asked to leave if they don't perform (e.g., Cooper).

My point has been that fans should be encouraging of our own and that we aren't in charge of hiring/firing or kicking off players.

But we just keep on & on looking for someone to blame and doing whatever makes us feel good for a minute.

Last edited:
Coaches don't turn the ball over. What we need is Meme to get serious on lay ups. It isn't cute or funny when she blows them. She really needs to get on herself about finishing at the rim. If she could make 80 percent of her layups, she could be a leader. I just can't understand how she will lead us and grin when she blows points. She needs to get her head on fundamentals, no blaming coaches, those misses are on her from now on.

I agree Meme needs to make layups, Also we all need to remember Westbrook went into a tail spin after we played all the cupcakes. When teams pressed Tenn it got ugly quick, Not did Westbrook turn the ball over Hayes to. But in Westbrook case she is asking to play a position that was easy for her to play on the HS level for pg. I think it would be better for her and the team if she is moved to the 2. If she is the starting pg this year teams will press her and pick her pocket or force her into a turnover.

I agree Meme needs to make layups, Also we all need to remember Westbrook went into a tail spin after we played all the cupcakes. When teams pressed Tenn it got ugly quick, Not did Westbrook turn the ball over Hayes to. But in Westbrook case she is asking to play a position that was easy for her to play on the HS level for pg. I think it would be better for her and the team if she is moved to the 2. If she is the starting pg this year teams will press her and pick her pocket or force her into a turnover.

Haven't seen stats on it, but my impression was that most of the turnovers by Westbook were from trying to make too good of a play. There were some but not that many forced turnovers. With that, Westbrook made some next level assists that were amazing. It might be worth trying to improve the balance and keep her at the point.

But I have also thought as you said, she could play the 2. I think as a shooter/shot creator (rather than a facilitator), Westbrook's scoring efficiency will really improve.

Haven't seen stats on it, but my impression was that most of the turnovers by Westbook were from trying to make too good of a play. There were some but not that many forced turnovers. With that, Westbrook made some next level assists that were amazing. It might be worth trying to improve the balance and keep her at the point.

But I have also thought as you said, she could play the 2. I think as a shooter/shot creator (rather than a facilitator), Westbrook's scoring efficiency will really improve.

I think you are correct most of her turnovers are from trying to make too good of a play. But there are games when she has her pocket picked from a player that was quicker then her. remember she is not a good ball handler.

Cute sarcasm. I've been at practices. I've been behind the bench at games. The coaches are doing the things they get paid to do. Coaches cannot force effort or guarantee execution. If plays and strategies are designed to get and result in open layups, whose fault is it if they miss the layup...?

I'm someone that thinks the coaches & players should share wins & losses equally as a team.

Ultimately, the coaches will lose their jobs if enough wins don't come or there are behavior issues not corrected. Along the way, players can also be asked to leave if they don't perform (e.g., Cooper).

My point has been that fans should be encouraging of our own and that we aren't in charge of hiring/firing or kicking off players.

But we just keep on & on looking for someone to blame and doing whatever makes us feel good for a minute.

As has been said repeatedly, if different players are cycling in and out of the program, but all are having the same problems, then the system is broken.

I don't see how shrugging one's shoulders and blaming the players year in and year out is a reasonable explanation. Or perhaps we should just accept it and bask in a #9 RPI. Does TBA have a banner for that yet, it is it forthcoming?

Reactions: 5 people

Westbrook's turnovers look a lot like Diamond's. Either trying to throw a highlight reel pass with no margin for error, or overestimating her teammates' ability for snaring the pass. Plus some mind boggling ones. I don't think her turnovers are any "better" than Diamond's, especially if it isn't corrected.

I think you are correct most of her turnovers are from trying to make too good of a play. But there are games when she has her pocket picked from a player that was quicker then her. remember she is not a good ball handler.

To paraphrase CPS, the best thing about freshman is that they become sophomores.

EW is going to be a great PG. She made a lot of freshman mistakes, including trying to force plays. She will learn. Her ball handing and speed of play will also improve. Everything about her signals that she is driven to be excellent.

She was inhibited as well down the stretch by whatever was going on with her knee. An injury like that not only effects your play on the court, via decreased mobility and vertical leap but it also restricts practice time and effort. A lot of physical and emotional pressure was placed on her and she wilted down the stretch but, i have no doubt, she will come back much stronger and better.

I hate coming across like a harpy, but whether or not a player or team makes a high percentage of layups (or not) is also something that falls under the responsibility of coaches.

You can always say, "The coaches aren't missing those layups," and that would be true. (Of course)

But what if the coaching staff isn't using the right kind of drills, or not getting enough time and reps in practice to make them, and that results in players missing more layups than they should? What if the coaches aren't taking advantage of their power as coaches to create dreaded consequences for tossing up miss after miss after miss?

Just because we can sit behind the bench at games and hear the coaches saying all the right things like "Take care of the ball!!!" "Make your layups!!!!" "Stop throwing lazy passes!!!!" .... it's really not helpful unless they've gotten enough practice doing those things in an environment that promotes a fear that if they don't do it right they'll regret it, then all the words in the world won't do a darn bit of good.

Every single season I see them doing the very same boring layup drills where someone on staff stands under the basket with the big cushion that's supposed to represent an opponent creating contact. It doesn't work; the players could do these layup drills in their sleep. Ask around... find some books... try something new.

I guarantee if that if the COACHES were to put some kind of consistent fear of next-practice consequences into the players who are lackadaisical and careless when shooting layups that they'd concentrate a LOT harder in practice to make them, and would shoot better in games.

And for those who say, "It's up to the players to get in the gym for extra reps," I'd agree but would also reply, "I'll bet they'd be more inclined to do so if they were afraid of what Holly and staff might do in practice if I don't cut down on my turnovers and start making these layups!"

VN Store

Back