ESPN 'way to early top 25'

mike099

ESPN is picking Notre Dame as a repeat next season. They are going to be loaded with plenty of depth to start the season.

Tennessee is picked number 9 assuming that the turnover problem is corrected. No mention of post play in the write up, but KK and Harris had better be ready or we may be in trouble.

If the number 9 holds up as the official preseason ranking, we are over rated.

Reactions: 2 people
ESPN is picking Notre Dame as a repeat next season. They are going to be loaded with plenty of depth to start the season.

Tennessee is picked number 9 assuming that the turnover problem is corrected. No mention of post play in the write up, but KK and Harris had better be ready or we may be in trouble.

The possibility of being number 9 is there, however, I agree it is too early to make a prognostication at this point. I think KK will be find, however, development of talent and potential is a huge concern. The pieces will be there. We seem to have a habit of taking outstanding 5 Star talent and making it very ordinary. Hopefully Holly has an epiphany over the summer and learns how to coach. A fan can always dream and hope that all will not turn into a nightmare. In reality, unless something changes, things will be no different than the season that just ended.

Last edited:

There is zero chance that they are in the top 10 by the midpoint of the SEC season, even if they had a better coach. They are rebuilding after losing their two leading scorer and rebounders. Then you consider the Holly Factor, and next year has all the makings of "Holly and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Season"

Reactions: 4 people
We could be number nine or not ranked by season end. We really don't know what we'll have. I do know everyone must be better shooters and rebounders. They must take care of the ball better. If all that happens then of course we'll be number nine. Chances are it doesn't and were a lot lower.

Here is the entire pickings by Creme. UConn falls to four in his predictions.

Women's college basketball's way too early top 25 rankings for 2018-19

Last edited:
We could be number nine or not ranked by season end. We really don't know what we'll have. I do know everyone must be better shooters and rebounders. They must take care of the ball better. If all that happens then of course we'll be number nine. Chances are it doesn't and were a lot lower.

Here is the entire pickings by Creme. UConn falls to four in his predictions.

Women's college basketball's way too early top 25 rankings for 2018-19

We say this every year under Holly... nothing seems to change. On a positive note, both Miss State and South Carolina should be taking a step back.

Reactions: 1 person

Depends on who will be coaching lady Vols,I would keep them out of 25 rank for now.

Reactions: 4 people
We say this every year under Holly... nothing seems to change. On a positive note, both Miss State and South Carolina should be taking a step back.

MSST and SC are taking a step back, but not as big as Tennessee. They will probably still be the best two teams in the league. If either of them grab Anriel Howard, they would be the clear front-runner for SEC championship.

MSST and SC are taking a step back, but not as big as Tennessee. They will probably still be the best two teams in the league. If either of them grab Anriel Howard, they would be the clear front-runner for SEC championship.

I disagree about SC... I don't think they will be very good.

MSU at #8, seriously? Aside from McCowan, who on that roster scares you? And as good as she is, life is about to get a whole lot tougher without four outstanding experienced guards around her. Their recruiting class seems decent, but no HS All-Americans and not a top 10 class. I don't see any way MSU is a top 10 team, nor would I put them ahead of Tennessee...

Reactions: 3 people
MSU at #8, seriously? Aside from McCowan, who on that roster scares you? And as good as she is, life is about to get a whole lot tougher without four outstanding experienced guards around her. Their recruiting class seems decent, but no HS All-Americans and not a top 10 class. I don't see any way MSU is a top 10 team, nor would I put them ahead of Tennessee...
I agree, Mississippi St will be lucky to be 4 or 5 in the SEC

The SEC will be tough again and has six teams rated in the early ESPN Top 25 poll.

All the teams listed except for Tennessee has a big time scorer/multiple scorers returning.

Big girl for Miss State, Cunningham for Missouri, point guard for Texas A&M, Robinson for Georgia, and don't forget Cooper is now eligible for South Carolina. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Not going to be easy for the Lady Vols.

The SEC will be tough again and has six teams rated in the early ESPN Top 25 poll.

All the teams listed except for Tennessee has a big time scorer/multiple scorers returning.

Big girl for Miss State, Cunningham for Missouri, point guard for Texas A&M, Robinson for Georgia, and don't forget Cooper is now eligible for South Carolina. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Not going to be easy for the Lady Vols.

Rennia Davis for Tennessee.....

Reactions: 7 people

Not overrated. Just under coached. We will once again have a top 5 roster. Let's see what CHW does with it.

Tennessee on paper has the best team in the SEC next season, and they should win the conference. Period. Anything less would be a disappointment....

In terms of talent, 9 seems to be fitting. When you factor in coaching, 20-25 is more accurate. With Nared/Russell and what was apparently good team chemistry, we were only a 2nd round team last season. The scary thing is that this is the least talented roster Tennessee has had in years. We have ample players with good upside, but no one who has discovered their potential yet. Holly is horrible at helping players reach their potential, so expecting solid improvements from the 4 freshmen is wishful thinking IMO. Add in that we have virtually no experience or top recruits in the front court, and it leaves me quite nervous.

If we had Vic Schaefer coaching this team, I'd say we're a Final Four favorite. That's the difference between a coach who consistently does more with less vs. a coach who does less with more.

In terms of talent, 9 seems to be fitting. When you factor in coaching, 20-25 is more accurate. With Nared/Russell and what was apparently good team chemistry, we were only a 2nd round team last season. The scary thing is that this is the least talented roster Tennessee has had in years. We have ample players with good upside, but no one who has discovered their potential yet. Holly is horrible at helping players reach their potential, so expecting solid improvements from the 4 freshmen is wishful thinking IMO. Add in that we have virtually no experience or top recruits in the front court, and it leaves me quite nervous.

If we had Vic Schaefer coaching this team, I'd say we're a Final Four favorite. That's the difference between a coach who consistently does more with less vs. a coach who does less with more.

True somewhat. But we have three freshmen that has starting five experience and experience plus their
talent may go a long way.This is also
the weakest I've seen the SEC.
Holly is still the key, putting in another offensive system and developing player's potential will be a breath of fresh air.No way throwing it into the post should be the option.

Tennessee on paper has the best team in the SEC next season, and they should win the conference. Period. Anything less would be a disappointment....

Wouldn’t Mizzu on paper have the best and most experienced team coming back this year? Sophie Cunningham is at the center of that team and they get back basically everyone. Tierra McCowan is gonna be a load but will the spacing and defense be the same with four new players to adjust too. SC has all their perimeter players back and get Te’a and get back Cuevas-Moore is she chooses to come back. There is no A’ja Wilson but there is no lack of talent either. If (and that’s a big if) we learn to hit perimeter shots and continually cut to basket we will be a pretty good team. Maybe more of a motion type of offense. One thing is for sure if they learn how to keep up the press this team can get out in transition.

I saw you mention about the all star games and no one hit perimeter shots. The one hope is that Zay Green’s shot were all on target just didn’t nail them (even had some of the crossover stepback variety. This isn’t horse shoes where being close counts but she looks as if she could be a knock down three point shooter with a little work. She is also quick enough to get to the paint for a mid range jumper in the meat of the defense.

I'd put Tennessee at about ... ehh ... 19th to finish the year. Round of thirty two. Probably 24-8 or thereabouts. I would scoff at any prediction putting them in the top 10. Their talent is phenomenal but the bad habits seem to persist in spite of that talent. But then, if we couldn't get McDivitt to stop slicing across the court bringing the ball down, who knows. Maybe some habits are too ingrained. I hope not. It's unique to every player. Takes a lot of work to overcome some things.

Still, with UT's raw roster and the problems they've had protecting the ball and avoiding turnovers, I don't see it getting better than that. Every year we get lazy passes, charges in the lane, you name it, the sort of stuff that you think "surely this will get better this year" but it never seems to. So, I would assume turnovers would be the same ... so that means probably about 15 turnovers a game. Incredible, that.

Meanwhile, Mississippi State, who I know we've all been referring to in these sorts of talks, averaged less than 11 per game. I'm not sure what they lose/keep with respect to guards, but with Vivians gone, all eyes will be on them early. They added two very solid post players with height, which is rare for them because they rarely make recruiting rankings with their players. Probably be okay. Probably break or at least sniff 30 wins again.

True somewhat. But we have three freshmen that has starting five experience and experience plus their
talent may go a long way.This is also
the weakest I've seen the SEC.
Holly is still the key, putting in another offensive system and developing player's potential will be a breath of fresh air.No way throwing it into the post should be the option.

The KY men had 5 freshman starting...I don't buy that for a second that freshmen are a liability

VN Store

Back