McDonald's All American Game

Volfan2012

Wednesday at 5 pm est on ESPN2

r344861_800x450_16-9.jpg

Three players in Tennessee's incoming class will be competing.

Amira Collins, Jasmine Massengill, and Zarielle Greene.
These games never tell you much as usually wild shooting affairs still will be glad to see the girls in action.

Reactions: 4 people
Wednesday at 5 pm est on ESPN2

r344861_800x450_16-9.jpg

Three players in Tennessee's incoming class will be competing.

Amira Collins, Jasmine Massengill, and Zarielle Greene.
These games never tell you much as usually wild shooting affairs still will be glad to see the girls in action.

Anxious to see Collins against good competition. Her rankings are all over the place. Can she shoot the three? Can Za Green shoot the three? I have watched Massengill for three years now.... I know her strengths and weaknesses! Wednesday night. Let’s go lady’s

You hope at least one of the incoming young ladies can shoot from the outside. It seems like eons since the Lady Vols had some consistent outside shooters.

Reactions: 1 person
You hope at least one of the incoming young ladies can shoot from the outside. It seems like eons since the Lady Vols had some consistent outside shooters.

They had three this year: Jackson, Nared and Dunbar.

Just didn't know how to utilize them best....
You can play

High-low, outside-in,,
or ,,,,
Low-high, inside-out .

Pound it in to open the outside shot, or, shoot the outside to stretch the defense off of the post. Either way can work but you have to be proficient at both.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

You can play

High-low, outside-in,,
or ,,,,
Low-high, inside-out .

Pound it in to open the outside shot, or, shoot the outside to stretch the defense off of the post. Either way can work but you have to be proficient at both.
You missed Davis, Coach?

You can play

High-low, outside-in,,
or ,,,,
Low-high, inside-out .

You noticed Coach that I used the word consistent. There were games the Ladies shot well from the outside and games they were lucky to hit the
rim or backboard. Teams would not have played as much zone defense against the LV's if they were more consistent shooting from the outside. 30.7% from 3-point range is not very good. Check out UCONN's stats the other night against SC.

You can play

High-low, outside-in,,
or ,,,,
Low-high, inside-out .

Does anyone else think Dunbar should of played alot more while at UT?

Reactions: 5 people
Players usually do very good here until the coaching effect works it way in around mid-season. You can look at the stats Davis, Westbrooks, and Hayes all got worse as the season progressed.
Westbrook went from a 48 percent shooter to a 37 percent shooter. This would seem to be the progression that former players went through as well.
Graves played her best basketball the first half of her freshman season, Reynolds better as a freshman that ever again.
The player that seemed to get better was Izzy then she stayed injured her last season.

Reactions: 3 people
Anxious to see Collins against good competition. Her rankings are all over the place. Can she shoot the three? Can Za Green shoot the three? I have watched Massengill for three years now.... I know her strengths and weaknesses! Wednesday night. Let’s go lady’s

What is with her rankings? She’s a four star 95 ranking on hoopgurlz and then prospect nation has her as the #9 best player. Was she injured at some point and is now an unknown/uncertain commodity?

Players usually do very good here until the coaching effect works it way in around mid-season. You can look at the stats Davis, Westbrooks, and Hayes all got worse as the season progressed.
Westbrook went from a 48 percent shooter to a 37 percent shooter. This would seem to be the progression that former players went through as well.
Graves played her best basketball the first half of her freshman season, Reynolds better as a freshman that ever again.
The player that seemed to get better was Izzy then she stayed injured her last season.

I believe Davis became more consistent and found her groove as the season progressed.

Does anyone else think Dunbar should of played alot more while at UT?

Dunbar could have been a weapon in a high-low offense. She shoots in a blink and can hit the shot. She also is much stronger than most think she is and she can finish some pretty good moves around the rim...Another weapon not used.

You noticed Coach that I used the word consistent. There were games the Ladies shot well from the outside and games they were lucky to hit the
rim or backboard. Teams would not have played as much zone defense against the LV's if they were more consistent shooting from the outside. 30.7% from 3-point range is not very good. Check out UCONN's stats the other night against SC.

Shooters have to have permission to fail, to succeed. The players last season were called out by name "_____ took some bad shots"...This has a lasting effect.

A shooter has to have the mentality of "Shoot Knowing" it is going in and they have to not fear missing the shot..Not, "shoot hoping" it goes in so they don't get called out.

The three is a weapon, just like timeouts. The more weapons that are eliminated from your arsenal, the easier it is for me to beat you....I'd eat your lunch if I knew you wouldn't take a timeout once I began to run and I'd have my players saying, "You sure you should be taking that shot?" if I knew you only wanted to pound the ball inside.

And zone?...Bring it on. I will go cutter-basketball on you and backdoor you to death. Or mid-range shoot you to death.

everybody says to shoot the 3 and extend the zone-defenses, I say to attack the core of it with cuts, drives and mid-range jumpers (and some 3's).. Create confusion in the movement of the defenders. Hit the 2nd hash-mark bank=shot. find the places in the zone where defenders HAVE to make motion decisions. . . .There's your openings!

Reactions: 7 people
Shooters have to have permission to fail, to succeed. The players last season were called out by name "_____ took some bad shots"...This has a lasting effect.

A shooter has to have the mentality of "Shoot Knowing" it is going in and they have to not fear missing the shot..Not, "shoot hoping" it goes in so they don't get called out.

The best thing you want for a shooter is to have a completely freed mental state when it comes time to shoot the ball. There's a point where they need to be past thinking about taking a shot, and just taking the shots when its time to take them. If you've done the work, and if you have the right players with the right abilities taking those shots, you're okay with the misses. Get it in the air, and get ready to rebound or play defense, but just get it up. Trust the practice, the preparation, trust the mechanics, and don't overthink it. Everyone misses. But you trust the percentages and the stats and you take the misses in exchange for that 40, 45, 50% shooting. Whatever it might be.

There were times, and they got more numerous as the year dragged on, where we had guards who were _w_i_d_e_ open with the ball in their hands, and they just hesitated for that half second to a second. Every time I saw that, I'd yell at the screen. It's fine! Just shoot it! Put it up. I mean, don't take 1 on 5 shots or anything, but they reversed the ball to you and found yourself open ... fire! Meme improved a bit - to the point I wanted her taking the shot every time she daylight. Dunbar seemed like a forward who could hit from the perimeter. Wish we'd found some way to use that. I think she was one of the best outside shooters on the team this year (ironically). Probably maybe could have helped against the zone. I would think Nared could have as well, but in the 3PT department she went from a near 40% shooter to under 30% this year.
Felt like the pressure on her was overwhelming. But I'm not a coach. And I admit I watched less of the LVs this year than I've watched since ... oh, probably 2003-2004. Oh well.

Dunbar could have been a weapon in a high-low offense. She shoots in a blink and can hit the shot. She also is much stronger than most think she is and she can finish some pretty good moves around the rim...Another weapon not used.

The three is a weapon, just like timeouts. The more weapons that are eliminated from your arsenal, the easier it is for me to beat you....I'd eat your lunch if I knew you wouldn't take a timeout once I began to run and I'd have my players saying, "You sure you should be taking that shot?" if I knew you only wanted to pound the ball inside.

And zone?...Bring it on. I will go cutter-basketball on you and backdoor you to death. Or mid-range shoot you to death.

everybody says to shoot the 3 and extend the zone-defenses, I say to attack the core of it with cuts, drives and mid-range jumpers (and some 3's).. Create confusion in the movement of the defenders. Hit the 2nd hash-mark bank=shot. find the places in the zone where defenders HAVE to make motion decisions. . . .There's your openings!

Holly can't coach. But to say you don't get on players about shot selection is stupid. I played and coached myself. Shot selection is crucial.

Anyone that actually knows basketball would know that teaching what a good shot is leads to the players shooting with confidence, knowing it will go in. Bad shots are "shot hoping" or whatever you called it.

You have to have good shot selection period. Maybe she should reinforce it in another manner . But it should be done .

What I'm interested to see is who will be the standout in this game. Christyn Williams has collected just about every NPOY award but is she really the best overall player in the class? Seems like a lot of other players has just as much if not more potential so it remains to be seen who is really better.

What I'm interested to see is who will be the standout in this game. Christyn Williams has collected just about every NPOY award but is she really the best overall player in the class? Seems like a lot of other players has just as much if not more potential so it remains to be seen who is really better.
A lot of good "bigs" in the game:
Collier, Austin, Prince and ONO to name a few. I think Williams is easily the best of the backcourt players in this class.

These games are just like the All Star game. Literally nothing can be learned about any of these kids from this game.

These games are just like the All Star game. Literally nothing can be learned about any of these kids from this game.

So I don’t know about that. Sabrina Ionescu showed the world (who knew little about her) what she could do and so did Chennedy Carter. Both stood out with their skills and they have not disappointed.

So I don’t know about that. Sabrina Ionescu showed the world (who knew little about her) what she could do and so did Chennedy Carter. Both stood out with their skills and they have not disappointed.

Everybody knew about Ionescu. She just made it very clear early on in her recruitment that she wasn't going anywhere where she wasn't going to be "the show" which meant she was out of contention from all of the big dogs. I don't see anything wrong w/ that she knew what she wanted and went to a team that could make it happen instead of going somewhere else and transferring later. I respect that. Chennedy Carter again was already well known. I tabbed her as NFOY before the season even started after seeing her play for USAB over the summer.

My point was nothing is going to happen in that game that is going to tell anyone anything they didn't already know if they actually do follow WCBB and their incoming recruits. I'm not saying don't watch I'm just saying it doesn't necessarily indicate future success. For example there were how many kids playing in that game last year and you only mentioned the success of 2. It's basically a pick up game. Nice for kids but I wouldn't use it as a gauge of anything. The environment doesn't simulate anything you could compare to a real D1 WCBB game.

Everybody knew about Ionescu. She just made it very clear early on in her recruitment that she wasn't going anywhere where she wasn't going to be "the show" which meant she was out of contention from all of the big dogs. I don't see anything wrong w/ that she knew what she wanted and went to a team that could make it happen instead of going somewhere else and transferring later. I respect that. Chennedy Carter again was already well known. I tabbed her as NFOY before the season even started after seeing her play for USAB over the summer.

My point was nothing is going to happen in that game that is going to tell anyone anything they didn't already know if they actually do follow WCBB and their incoming recruits. I'm not saying don't watch I'm just saying it doesn't necessarily indicate future success. For example there were how many kids playing in that game last year and you only mentioned the success of 2. It's basically a pick up game. Nice for kids but I wouldn't use it as a gauge of anything. The environment doesn't simulate anything you could compare to a real D1 WCBB game.[/

No... the comment was about athletes NOT SHOWING anything in an all star game. Which is not the case for these two. Chennedy Carter became a known commodity VERY LATE in her junior year. Watch some of her clips she talks about not being ranked and well known and that fueling her to be better. Sabrina made USA teams but was still ranked low until her junior/senior year. She also skipped a USA try out one year. So again, this game can show you flashes of brilliance and those crossovers both those young ladies had where on full display during those games where they were introduced to a wider range of viewers. So while it doesn’t determine future success it puts their skills on display.

That’s all I’m saying 😎 enjoy your insight though and you have some great posts😁

Holly's offense is throw the ball to the big girl, and then throw the ball to the big girl, and then throw the ball to the big girl attack...And don't shoot the 3 ball you may miss...Throw the ball to the big girl....

In the beginning of the season, the players played lose and made shots....In one of her press conferences, which was after a win, she said we were shooting to many 3's....We never recovered after she said no more 3's.

Dunbar became a pine knot on the bench after that...

Let’s be real...most of that has to do with tougher competition once conference play starts.

VN Store

Back