3089 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Something to mull over in our time away from basketball. within the forum Tennessee Lady Vols. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
PineyBluff Vol
Senior Member
 
PineyBluff Vol's Avatar

Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball
Join Date: Nov 2005
Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball
Posts: 3,212
Likes: 1,224
Something to mull over in our time away from basketball

Oregon States roster contains no M-All-Americans, couple of the girls were nominees.

Head Coach has these accomplishments:
2017 Oregon States Naismith Coach of the Year Finalist
2017 AP National Coach of the Year Runner-Up
2017 Pac-12 Coach of the Year (Coaches and Media)
2017 WBCA Region 8 Coach of the Year
2016 Naismith Coach of the Year Finalist
2016 AP National Coach of the Year Runner-Up
2016 Division I Final Four
2015 Russell Athletic/WBCA Region 8 Coach of the Year
2015 Pac-12 Coach of the Year (Coaches)
2014 Russell Athletic/WBCA Region 8 Coach of the Year
2014 Pac-12 Coach of the Year (ESPN)
Pac-12 Media Coach of the Year (2012, 2014 & 2015)
23 All-Pac-12 Selections
2009 NCAA Division III National Coach of the Year
2009 NCAA Division III National Championship
NCAA Division III West Region Coach of the Year (2008, 2009, 2010)
Northwest Conference Coach of the Year (2000, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010)
Four NAIA All-Americans
Five NCAA All-Americans
33 All-Northwest Conference Selections
Seven Northwest Conference Championships
Eight Top 25 national rankings (2000, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016)

My question is, Why did we lose to this group?
__________________
Once I had a girl on Rocky Top,
Half bear the other half cat;

Last edited by PineyBluff Vol; 03-25-2018 at 11:12 AM..
PineyBluff Vol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
VA_VOLFAN
Senior Member

Join Date: Nov 2016
Something to mull over in our time away from basketball
Posts: 1,145
Likes: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyBluff Vol View Post
Oregon States roster contains no M-All-Americans, couple of the girls were nominees.

Head Coach has these accomplishments:
2017 Oregon States Naismith Coach of the Year Finalist
2017 AP National Coach of the Year Runner-Up
2017 Pac-12 Coach of the Year (Coaches and Media)
2017 WBCA Region 8 Coach of the Year
2016 Naismith Coach of the Year Finalist
2016 AP National Coach of the Year Runner-Up
2016 Division I Final Four
2015 Russell Athletic/WBCA Region 8 Coach of the Year
2015 Pac-12 Coach of the Year (Coaches)
2014 Russell Athletic/WBCA Region 8 Coach of the Year
2014 Pac-12 Coach of the Year (ESPN)
Pac-12 Media Coach of the Year (2012, 2014 & 2015)
23 All-Pac-12 Selections
2009 NCAA Division III National Coach of the Year
2009 NCAA Division III National Championship
NCAA Division III West Region Coach of the Year (2008, 2009, 2010)
Northwest Conference Coach of the Year (2000, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010)
Four NAIA All-Americans
Five NCAA All-Americans
33 All-Northwest Conference Selections
Seven Northwest Conference Championships
Eight Top 25 national rankings (2000, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016)

My question is, Why did we lose to this group?
Coaching adjustments and the same reason Mulkey lost. They lost there starting pg also so I think guard play made the difference.
VA_VOLFAN is offline  
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-25-2018, 02:42 PM   #3
Volfan2012
Senior Member
 
Volfan2012's Avatar

Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball
Join Date: Aug 2012
Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball
Location: Milan, Tn
Posts: 11,512
Likes: 5,727
Some coaches prove that you can make a really good team out of three and four star players if you get players willing to learn and get better and you as a coach have the knowledge to develop players.
Some coaches can mold less athletic players into a team that work efficiently if they have some shooting skills. Doesn't matter how athletic you are if you can't shoot the ball you'll lose a lot of games to players that can shoot even if their athletic ability is somewhat less.
Volfan2012 is offline  
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
cutiepie5
Member

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 70
Likes: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfan2012 View Post
Some coaches prove that you can make a really good team out of three and four star players if you get players willing to learn and get better and you as a coach have the knowledge to develop players.
Some coaches can mold less athletic players into a team that work efficiently if they have some shooting skills. Doesn't matter how athletic you are if you can't shoot the ball you'll lose a lot of games to players that can shoot even if their athletic ability is somewhat less.
Which is why the coaching staff needs to stop bringing in the same types of players with similar playing styles. Even with all their athleticism they get blown by on defense or canít consistently blow by anyone else on offense or jump over defenders to score jumpshots so itís really not helping by duplicating and bringing in players with similar skill sets.
cutiepie5 is offline  
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-25-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
sccshortstop
Senior Member

Join Date: Jul 2012
Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball
Posts: 4,009
Likes: 1,196
Time to recruit some one who can shoot the darn ball and play defense.
sccshortstop is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-26-2018, 07:22 AM   #6
Orangefog
Member

Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball
Join Date: Nov 2011
Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball
Posts: 31
Likes: 33
Would help if the guards didn't turn the ball over 3 out of 4 times down the floor
Orangefog is offline  
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #7
mlindsay
Senior Member
 
mlindsay's Avatar

Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball
Join Date: Nov 2014
Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,816
Likes: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepie5 View Post
Which is why the coaching staff needs to stop bringing in the same types of players with similar playing styles. Even with all their athleticism they get blown by on defense or canít consistently blow by anyone else on offense or jump over defenders to score jumpshots so itís really not helping by duplicating and bringing in players with similar skill sets.
I think the coaching staff is doing that now. You are starting to see a wider net with Coach Reeves and Coach Gordon on board. We are still going after 5 stars but we have also shown interest in players that aren't the typical players we'd go after.

Kennedy Brown and Emily Saunders are Post players in the past that we normally wouldn't consider who are now high on our list as we are on theirs.

A player like Rae Burrell who committed to us late and wasn't ranked as high in the beginning has begun to skyrocket up the charts.

There are a few other guards who we are taking visits for that aren't what we typically go after, I think she (Holly) can write the ship and am willing to give her the chance to do so. I wouldn't extend her though I would wait until her contract is up to then look at where the program is then.
mlindsay is offline  
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #8
gule
Senior Member

Join Date: Aug 2012
Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball
Location: Central Fl.
Posts: 7,733
Likes: 5,788
maybe extend her with an iron clad agreement that if certain results aren't met, she would resign?
gule is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-26-2018, 10:59 AM   #9
leejoek
Senior Member

Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 206
Likes: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccshortstop View Post
Time to recruit some one who can shoot the darn ball and play defense.
Stop recruiting the SLOW-FOOTED 3-point shooter who cannot dribble drive or play defense.
leejoek is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-26-2018, 02:15 PM   #10
PRG
Senior Member

Something to mull over in our time away from basketball
Join Date: Nov 2015
Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,090
Likes: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by leejoek View Post
Stop recruiting the SLOW-FOOTED 3-point shooter who cannot dribble drive or play defense.
We need one of those! I donít care if she has NO feet!!!!!! If she can shoot a three with consistency????? She can bring her crutches too. 😈
PRG is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #11
PineyBluff Vol
Senior Member
 
PineyBluff Vol's Avatar

Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball
Join Date: Nov 2005
Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball
Posts: 3,212
Likes: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRG View Post
We need one of those! I donít care if she has NO feet!!!!!! If she can shoot a three with consistency????? She can bring her crutches too. 😈
KD
__________________
Once I had a girl on Rocky Top,
Half bear the other half cat;
PineyBluff Vol is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 03-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #12
VOLINVONORE
Senior Member

Join Date: Mar 2008
Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball Something to mull over in our time away from basketball
Posts: 7,105
Likes: 3,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRG View Post
We need one of those! I donít care if she has NO feet!!!!!! If she can shoot a three with consistency????? She can bring her crutches too. 😈
If she can she hit free throws and not turn the ball over, I will take her.
VOLINVONORE is offline  
Reply With Quote TOP
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.