What is our new AD up against?

TMHoosierVol

Thread Assassin
What is our new Athletics Director really up against with the status of the Lady Vols basketball program?

Everyone knows the honest truth, even if they don't want to admit it. Most fans probably don't even attend the games anymore. They probably just watch on TV when it's available, livestream it, or keep up with them on this forum. The faithful following that does attend regularly is dwindling on and annual basis.

It's not about the performance of the players, not about the coaching and development, it's all about missing Pat.

When someone loses a loved one, we react, recover and move on in different ways and on different time tables. I have friends that have kept their daughter's room locked and untouched since her death 15 years ago. I keep my youngest brother's obituary card on my fireplace mantel and he's been gone for 5 years. But, it makes me feel closer since in our adult lives, we got to see each other maybe twice a year.

The fans on this forum screaming for a new head coach have moved on. The fans that are fighting to keep the head coach haven't completed their recovery process yet. They want to keep the coach because when they see her, they still see Pat, just like I still see my brother in a piece of cardboard. The fans of basketball want change while the fans of Pat want to see somebody on the sideline that reminds them of Pat and everything she pioneered in women's basketball along with the recognition she brought to the university.

I've begun to realize that Coach Fulmer is in a no-win situation. Either way attendance is going to see an even more dramatic reduction. A new coach will be the final straw for Pat's faithful fans. The same coach will see attendance continue to drop annually. A new coach is going to have to rebuild the fanbase, regardless of who they are or what they've accomplished.

I want to sincerely apologize to those on this forum that I have made fun of, especially Toto. It wasn't until I looked up to the fireplace mantel today that I realized how wrong I was.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
And that’s why Fulmer will wait until he knows he has absolutely no choice. If it were anyone else the decision would be easy but since they both knew Pat it’s more emotion than business.

Reactions: 2 people
First to the OP, sorry for your loss. As far as a replacement for Holly (whenever that time comes), I personally think the best approach would be to hire a male coach with absolutely no ties at all to Tennessee. He would never face any unfair comparisons to Summitt and it could be like a fresh start. I don't think he would have to worry about rebuilding the fan base. He would just need to win. The passion for women's basketball we'll be there.

Reactions: 3 people
And that’s why Fulmer will wait until he knows he has absolutely no choice. If it were anyone else the decision would be easy but since they both knew Pat it’s more emotion than business.

Then he does a disservice to the Team, the University and shows he doesn't care about Women's sports and is not qualified to be AD

Then he does a disservice to the Team, the University and shows he doesn't care about Women's sports and is not qualified to be AD

I see what your saying but considering who we let go and the mess he brougt with him who would you rather have?

Phil loves the University, the teams, and fans. Spending so much time with Pat while he was here it has to be hard to see someone from her tree fail so badly.

That said she needs to be let go. ASAP

First to the OP, sorry for your loss. As far as a replacement for Holly (whenever that time comes), I personally think the best approach would be to hire a male coach with absolutely no ties at all to Tennessee. He would never face any unfair comparisons to Summitt and it could be like a fresh start. I don't think he would have to worry about rebuilding the fan base. He would just need to win. The passion for women's basketball we'll be there.

interesting take...believe it still may be too early for a male coach...passion is internal...Holly has it in spades...it's just the results haven't been up to "Pat" standards...winning will resolve many things but passion is a different ball game...we'll see, one day...:)

GO LADY VOLS!

If necessary, I think Fulmer will pull the trigger when it is time. I'm sure it's fresh in his memory banks what has happened since they put him out to pasture 10 years ago. If Holly is fired, let go or allowed to step down, I will wager he will have secured a competent coach. Until then, some can keep on *****ing and degrading Holly and individuals on the team to their heart's content. But, you assjerks need to know that Holly and each player knows what's out there on VN and other social media. I wonder how that affects their play. I can only imagine.

Reactions: 4 people
Everyone needs to clear their minds of the old and approach from a different angle. I think they have been trying to hold on to old strategy too long. Its no longer about UT and a handful of schools getting 5 star players, every SEC team gets 5 star players. Ut had the #1 recruiting class but other schools were not far behind. There are simply a lot more 4 star and 5 star players out there. UT can't recruit them all. This puts the emphasis on "coaching them up", the style of offense (not easy to defend) and defense plus in game adjustments. I think they need new blood, wipe the slate with a new coach, new offense, new defense that is up to date with todays faster paced game. Trying to clone Pat with Holly was great but that experiment is finished.

An athletic department, BoD, and Athletic Director who chooses, retains, or fires a Head Coach,BASED ON EMOTION, is 100% incompetent. They have failed as an employee or institution. That is not the correct path to success.

If necessary, I think Fulmer will pull the trigger when it is time. I'm sure it's fresh in his memory banks what has happened since they put him out to pasture 10 years ago. If Holly is fired, let go or allowed to step down, I will wager he will have secured a competent coach. Until then, some can keep on *****ing and degrading Holly and individuals on the team to their heart's content. But, you assjerks need to know that Holly and each player knows what's out there on VN and other social media. I wonder how that affects their play. I can only imagine.

No telling how it affects recruiting. I wonder how many positions we could have jumped in the rankings last year were it not for all these negavols posting on VolNation? :unsure:

What is our new Athletics Director really up against with the status of the Lady Vols basketball program?

Everyone knows the honest truth, even if they don't want to admit it. Most fans probably don't even attend the games anymore. They probably just watch on TV when it's available, livestream it, or keep up with them on this forum. The faithful following that does attend regularly is dwindling on and annual basis.

It's not about the performance of the players, not about the coaching and development, it's all about missing Pat.

When someone loses a loved one, we react, recover and move on in different ways and on different time tables. I have friends that have kept their daughter's room locked and untouched since her death 15 years ago. I keep my youngest brother's obituary card on my fireplace mantel and he's been gone for 5 years. But, it makes me feel closer since in our adult lives, we got to see each other maybe twice a year.

The fans on this forum screaming for a new head coach have moved on. The fans that are fighting to keep the head coach haven't completed their recovery process yet. They want to keep the coach because when they see her, they still see Pat, just like I still see my brother in a piece of cardboard. The fans of basketball want change while the fans of Pat want to see somebody on the sideline that reminds them of Pat and everything she pioneered in women's basketball along with the recognition she brought to the university.

I've begun to realize that Coach Fulmer is in a no-win situation. Either way attendance is going to see an even more dramatic reduction. A new coach will be the final straw for Pat's faithful fans. The same coach will see attendance continue to drop annually. A new coach is going to have to rebuild the fanbase, regardless of who they are or what they've accomplished.

I want to sincerely apologize to those on this forum that I have made fun of, especially Toto. It wasn't until I looked up to the fireplace mantel today that I realized how wrong I was.

All fine and dandy--if everyone accepts the premise of your psycho-babble. But...what if some simply view Holly as the female version of Butch Jones--great recruiter, horrible coach! Some people just can't coach!!

Look at Butch--he is now some kind of assistant to the greatest football coach alive now.

Holly--go and do likewise. Geno is waiting...

Fulmer has been AD less than four months. The LVs season ended three days ago. If anything, he's being rational, not emotional, by taking time to review the situation before making contract decisions.

Fulmer is a former coach. So, he understands, and nobody knows about getting railroaded better than Fulmer.

So, I don't see Fulmer, listening to cries of disgruntle, miserable fanatics.

As long as, the former Lady Vols support Holly, she will have my support. As long as the administration and recruits keep coming to the Lady Vols program, she will have my support but she lost my support of me attending games in Knoxville and dropping everything on earth to watch Lady Vols bball games. The team will have to earned that back, but I will still donate, because, I want her to win and have all the resources available to her to get it done.

I back Pat and roll with Holly.

I don't really agree with the missing Pat part 100% but that's just me. W's help with memory loss. The part we should all agree on is that its easier to rebuild something if you still have a big part of it still standing. If we keep HW 2 more years I'm afraid we will only a vacant lot.

That is why the new coach should be Nikki Caldwell Fargas.

Btw, I don't even watch on television anymore. The product became more difficult to watch over the years and I refuse to spend my time languishing over it. I saw in the first year when Holly was coaching and Pat was still on the bench that she was just awful. Anyone remember when she tried to make a statement and started 5 seniors in the tournament over better players. I think we almost lost the game.

Every year Holly's most passionate supporters blame the players instead of the coach herself. Remember when it was Simmons fault because she shot too much? How about Massengale that was going to be better? How did that turn out? Warlick supoorters couldn't wait for her to leave because Cooper was going to tear it up? The Diamond was the problem. Now they propose we will be better without all the current seniors. They can't wait to next year's competitive group.

It's like groundshog day. Warlick has been running the team since Demoss bought herself a 1st class ticket out of town. What is that - like 7 years ago? She is the Bill Guthridge of this program. It doesn't matter how many years she is on the bench. She is more like Josh Pastner at Memphis than John Calipari.

Here is the difference in the mens and womens game....if she was a mens coach she'd probably be gone by now because for a program used to winning championships just making it to the tourney and finishing in the middle of the league wouldn't be good enough.

I feel bad about being another person calling for her job but it is the nature of coaching and making more than CEO's of small companies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
He is absolutely up against nothing. He is not going to replace a coach whom took her team to the NCAA tournament.

VN Store

Back