Fulmer's Choices

ocoandasoc

Here's how I look at Phil's range of options...

1) Fire Holly – And if he's going to do it he can do it now or right after the final Tourney game. Options would include “reassigning” Holly to another job withing the athletic department. Or making it look like it was her choice to retire or step aside. But no matter how they spin it, there'd be a new coach. Then he could draw up a list and start putting feelers out. A brand name program with solid talent in place, it's ludicrous to say that a proven coach with a lot of upside couldn't be found. (I'll leave the discussion on who the next coach should be to others.)

2) Do Nothing – This one is tricky. Holly's contract is up next March. Coaches recruiting the same kids as Tenn would certainly point out that Holly could be gone long before they set foot on campus. In today's WCBB environment it is unusual for a head coach to have their contract wind down in its final year. Plus, it's a good way to encourage the assistants to start looking for jobs and make Holly's performance even more erratic and/or desperate.

3) One-year Extension – Kicking the can down the road might not be too bad an option. You'd be in exactly the same place as you are now – but the buyout on Holly's contract wouldn't be any larger, so you've kept all your options open. On the minus side, this would hardly be a vote of confidence and everyone – especially Holly – would continue to be on edge.

4) Two or Three-year Extension – I can hear the groaning. But this would end all the hot seat talk, stabilize recruiting, keep the assistants happy, and maybe give Holly some confidence. On the negative side, if the recent trends continue the program could be on life support in three years.

Reactions: 5 people
Knowing our luck it will probably go 4-4-4-4

:lolabove:

I would much rather have a new coach, with whichever the recruits stay and build up the program than to have Holly stay with a bunch of McDonald all americans and underachieve.

Reactions: 7 people
After the Curry debacle, the last thing Coach Fulmer wants is another coaching search.
In the meantime, I hope he is talking to ex-players and others with a close eye on our program.
GBO

Reactions: 2 people
why give her a 1 year extension when she already has 1 year left? I think he does nothing, lets her coach 1 more year and it's put up or shut up. Final 4 she stays anything less she's gone. Draw a line in the sand and if she can't work her butt off to save a 600k + a year job then so be it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
He will not fire her. Fulmer has one mission; fix football. If Holly resigns, he might show up to introduce a new coach someone else behind the scenes chooses just the same as he did with the volleyball coach. But the last thing we wants to do is be distracted from football. Outside of her doing something that publicly embarrasses the university that they can't whitewash, Holly's job is secure as long as Fulmer is the AD. There will be no put up or shut up. There will be no lines in the sand. In fact, I still contend Fulmer doesn't have the guts to fire her.

He will not fire her. Fulmer has one mission; fix football. If Holly resigns, he might show up to introduce a new coach someone else behind the scenes chooses just the same as he did with the volleyball coach. But the last thing we wants to do is be distracted from football. Outside of her doing something that publicly embarrasses the university that they can't whitewash, Holly's job is secure as long as Fulmer is the AD. There will be no put up or shut up. There will be no lines in the sand. In fact, I still contend Fulmer doesn't have the guts to fire her.

Yes, he is not going to be destabilize a program, that while underachieving, still wins 25 games and has an excellent recruiting class coming. The people who will determine Fulmer's fate care about the grid iron not LVs basketball.

But, if the LVs have another disappointing season next year, I could see a change being made.

UT will give Holly a soft landing. It won't be this year, unless that's what she wants. There is no way Fulmer is going to terminate her contract with a year left. The most he'll do is suggest staff changes to compensate for the most egregious shortcomings-- ability to motivate and discipline players, create offense, etc. Other programs have brought in high-profile coaches in an advisory or consultant capacity, so that would be a good stopgap. But he could just let it ride.

:pepper::pepper::pepper: The ONLY option is your #1. If the other options are used, then our LV basketball program will continue to get worse. Attendance under CHW has dropped from 13,000 to barely over 8,000...ONY 4,300 for our game in our arena!!!!!

As to recruiting, the success of the last two years belongs to Shorrona Reaves...that was the best hire that CHW made. She needs to be given a raise and signed to a 5-year contract.

1) Fire Holly – And if he's going to do it he can do it now or right after the final Tourney game. Options would include “reassigning” Holly to another job withing the athletic department. Or making it look like it was her choice to retire or step aside. But no matter how they spin it, there'd be a new coach. Then he could draw up a list and start putting feelers out. A brand name program with solid talent in place, it's ludicrous to say that a proven coach with a lot of upside couldn't be found. (I'll leave the discussion on who the next coach should be to others.)

2) Do Nothing – This one is tricky. Holly's contract is up next March. Coaches recruiting the same kids as Tenn would certainly point out that Holly could be gone long before they set foot on campus. In today's WCBB environment it is unusual for a head coach to have their contract wind down in its final year. Plus, it's a good way to encourage the assistants to start looking for jobs and make Holly's performance even more erratic and/or desperate.

3) One-year Extension – Kicking the can down the road might not be too bad an option. You'd be in exactly the same place as you are now – but the buyout on Holly's contract wouldn't be any larger, so you've kept all your options open. On the minus side, this would hardly be a vote of confidence and everyone – especially Holly – would continue to be on edge.

4) Two or Three-year Extension – I can hear the groaning. But this would end all the hot seat talk, stabilize recruiting, keep the assistants happy, and maybe give Holly some confidence. On the negative side, if the recent trends continue the program could be on life support in three years.

I would choose to let her play with the present contract giving her a one month extension into April. The goals I would set is top three SEC and no less than an elite 8 in the NCAA tourney. Make at least the semi-finals in the SEC tourney. These are low goals we will be a young team next season. Still we have the talent to do this well at least. If she can't make it happen ( and it is obvious she can't ) then we owe her nothing can hire a new coach to take over immediately come April 2019.

The first choice of course is to fire now but the 3 year things is a crying disaster.

Based on FillUps comments about how well she is doing with such a young team.......an Big Raise and extension appear to be in order.............:banghead2::banghead2::banghead2:

Fulmer unfortunately will probably DO nothing!!

Reactions: 1 person
why give her a 1 year extension when she already has 1 year left? I think he does nothing, lets her coach 1 more year and it's put up or shut up. Final 4 she stays anything less she's gone. Draw a line in the sand and if she can't work her butt off to save a 600k + a year job then so be it.

If he expects her to make the final four with next years team he probably should fire her now or ask her to resign. I hope he doesn't give her a 3 year extension that is the death knoll for Lady Vol basketball.

What is most surprising is that despite Pat's success she really doesn't have an impressive coaching tree. There isn't someone in her lineage that is a no brainer hire.

Last edited:
What is most surprising is that despite Pat's success she really doesn't have an impressive coaching tree. There isn't someone in her lineage that is a no brainer hire.

You could say the same thing about Auriemma. Rizzotti at GW and Elliott at Cincinnati - but their resumes are pretty mixed. Unless it's the long time assistant Chris Dailey, they will probably have to make an outside hire.

This is what I would be concerned with. Make a hire that is no better than where we are now. I know they are out there, but would the effort be made to find a good one.

Options 2 -4 buries UT's program, hurts recruiting. The program is on Life Support NOW!

Reactions: 3 people
Options 2 -4 buries UT's program, hurts recruiting. The program is on Life Support NOW!

this program is already buried. we couldn't even beat a lower seed on our home court in the 2nd round. finished tied for 4th in our own conference.

It really is not surprising. Pat was not a very good offensive coach at all, except the Al Brown years. The women's game is trending towards greater offensive production. That would mean her proteges' weakness is magnified.

No matter how much we want to stay with the Pat tree it will probably be more advantageous to go outside the tree. There are good coaches appearing every year. Women’s basketball has gotten a lot better over the last 5 years and that is attributable to good women basketball coaches and the increase in available talent.

Just rip the band aid off already and let's get this done. We have Top 5 talent with Top 32 results!

Butch Jones could have won more games coaching the Lady Vols!

That must be why he sent out a letter to ALL University of Tennessee Athletes when he took over as AD.

VN Store

Back