The Game has passed the Lady Vols by...

pasadenavol

Today's historic loss will hopefully be a wake up call for Fulmer and the athletic dept to see that the game has passed our beloved lady vols by.

I loved Pat and had more respect for what she was able to accomplish more than anyone. But let's face it, after the 2008 season, you saw the rise of other teams and the decline of our program. A loss in the first round for the first time, the lack of final fours, losing on the recruiting trail... all signs that the lady vols style of play that had worked for so many years was quickly becoming antiquated. Who knows how much Pats condition affected her last few years at the helm, but it became apparent that instead of distancing ourselves from the rest of the pack like UConn did, we did not adapt and push forward.

Instead of hiring one of the hot new coaches when Pat had to step down, we continued to live in the past with the hiring of Holly- the same style of play that couldn't keep up with the game. Today is a true travesty to end such a tremendous record of being undefeated at home during the tourney, but you can attribute that to the current state of the program. Our only hope is Phil and some of the boosters realize it's time to end the Holly era and hire a fresh new coach who demands the most out of players and can get the most out of their talent...

Reactions: 21 people
The OP seems to be suggesting that if Pat Summitt had stayed healthy, the program would still have faded. I don't believe that for a minute. What were we in 2010 and 2011? 32-3 and 34-3. We just couldn't do anything about Griner in the middle. 2012 was Holly's team.

Reactions: 3 people
All you need is a coach that the players respect and believe in. When players know there is no consequence to their actions and that their coach is lacking, this is what you get. Hire a real coach and the Lady Vols will return to prominence.

Reactions: 14 people
The OP seems to be suggesting that if Pat Summitt had stayed healthy, the program would still have faded. I don't believe that for a minute. What were we in 2010 and 2011? 32-3 and 34-3. We just couldn't do anything about Griner in the middle. 2012 was Holly's team.

Pat continued to be a student of the game. I emember her spending a summer working with an NBA team and another summer working with the Villanova coach to learn the Princeton offense. She did this many times to stay up on the latest trends in the game. I honestly believe that her condition started to affect her much longer before we realize. If she wouldn't have been plagued by her condition, there's no doubt she'd be still competing w Geno each year for supremacy.

Reactions: 7 people
IMO, at the time it happened, Holly was likely considered a placeholder hire until Tyler got enough experience to come in and take over.

Anyone with half a brain knows very well that Pat's years-long plan was for Tyler to coach on the floor that bears both their names.

If some other great coach had taken over and had great success, then he/she would want to keep the job for as long as they could. If Holly was given the job then she could hold the program steady for a few years then gladly hand the job back to the Crown Prince.

But as we all know, Tyler made career-ending mistakes and the plan came crashing down. Pat never intended for Holly to do anything but hold the keys safely until Tyler was ready to drive the car, and at that point -- BEFORE all the mess -- it seemed entirely likely that he'd also be capable of leading a good program at a young age. It was not meant to be.

Holly proved to be a more than adequate keeper of the Lady Vol traditions involving strong academic performance, strong community involvement, and all the off-court qualities that we've always admired and respected in our Lady Vols.

But, sadly, Holly lacks the level of basketball knowledge and the ability to instill confidence IN that ability that top-tier coaches with top-tier talent MUST have in order to maintain a top-tier program.

I hate it that the program is stuck on mediocre now, but that's where we are until a change is made.

I would hope that a respectful arrangement could be made that allows her to understand that, while her lifelong, undeniable love for the Lady Vols is acknowledged and deeply appreciated, that it is simply time to also acknowledge that being a head coach is not one of her strengths.

She'll always be a great Lady Vol, loved by many. But she needs to lead now by getting out of the way.

Love the Lady Vols always.

Reactions: 7 people
Today's historic loss will hopefully be a wake up call for Fulmer and the athletic dept to see that the game has passed our beloved lady vols by.

I loved Pat and had more respect for what she was able to accomplish more than anyone. But let's face it, after the 2008 season, you saw the rise of other teams and the decline of our program. A loss in the first round for the first time, the lack of final fours, losing on the recruiting trail... all signs that the lady vols style of play that had worked for so many years was quickly becoming antiquated. Who knows how much Pats condition affected her last few years at the helm, but it became apparent that instead of distancing ourselves from the rest of the pack like UConn did, we did not adapt and push forward.

Instead of hiring one of the hot new coaches when Pat had to step down, we continued to live in the past with the hiring of Holly- the same style of play that couldn't keep up with the game. Today is a true travesty to end such a tremendous record of being undefeated at home during the tourney, but you can attribute that to the current state of the program. Our only hope is Phil and some of the boosters realize it's time to end the Holly era and hire a fresh new coach who demands the most out of players and can get the most out of their talent...
Truth is Holly should have been fired two years ago! She proved then her teams, despite having the talent, could not compete with top 5 teams! Now we can't compete with top ten teams. Coach Fulmer please hire someone who can compete!

Reactions: 10 people
Holly could never transcend from being a good assistant to a top HC.... she still has an assistant's mindset, i.e. she doesn't instill discipline nor command respect from her players . This results in bad practice habits and it shows up on game day as turnovers and poor execution on O and D. Too bad, but 7 years is enough to see the trend.

Reactions: 1 person
Truth is Holly should have been fired two years ago! She proved then her teams, despite having the talent, could not compete with top 5 teams! Now we can't compete with top ten teams. Coach Fulmer please hire someone who can compete!

Completely agree! And if they're concerned about the financial impact of a change, I'll donate $5k myself and head up some fundraising here in my local community. A few of us LV fans could raise a significant amount. 15k fans giving $40 ea is $600k - we could raise her buyout pretty quickly...

Reactions: 2 people
IMO, at the time it happened, Holly was likely considered a placeholder hire until Tyler got enough experience to come in and take over.

Anyone with half a brain knows very well that Pat's years-long plan was for Tyler to coach on the floor that bears both their names.

If some other great coach had taken over and had great success, then he/she would want to keep the job for as long as they could. If Holly was given the job then she could hold the program steady for a few years then gladly hand the job back to the Crown Prince.

But as we all know, Tyler made career-ending mistakes and the plan came crashing down. Pat never intended for Holly to do anything but hold the keys safely until Tyler was ready to drive the car, and at that point -- BEFORE all the mess -- it seemed entirely likely that he'd also be capable of leading a good program at a young age. It was not meant to be.

Holly proved to be a more than adequate keeper of the Lady Vol traditions involving strong academic performance, strong community involvement, and all the off-court qualities that we've always admired and respected in our Lady Vols.

But, sadly, Holly lacks the level of basketball knowledge and the ability to instill confidence IN that ability that top-tier coaches with top-tier talent MUST have in order to maintain a top-tier program.

I hate it that the program is stuck on mediocre now, but that's where we are until a change is made.

I would hope that a respectful arrangement could be made that allows her to understand that, while her lifelong, undeniable love for the Lady Vols is acknowledged and deeply appreciated, that it is simply time to also acknowledge that being a head coach is not one of her strengths.

She'll always be a great Lady Vol, loved by many. But she needs to lead now by getting out of the way.

Love the Lady Vols always.

I think her only love is the paycheck. If she really loved the Lady Vols and the memory of Pat, she would and should QUIT

I think her only love is the paycheck. If she really loved the Lady Vols and the memory of Pat, she would and should QUIT

If you got paid over $650,000 a year for mediocre work, would you quit? Ain't happening! Fulmer et al. need to step up and make the change. Hopefully he has a hotel room booked in Columbus and takes the UT checkbook with him...

Just like with Butch Jones, the school will keep Holley too long until the program is a pile of feces. Then hand it off to a nobody with the hopes of returning it to grand heights again.

Won't happen in either case either.

Just like with Butch Jones, the school will keep Holley too long until the program is a pile of feces. Then hand it off to a nobody with the hopes of returning it to grand heights again.

Won't happen in either case either.

Sad, but probably true. No offense, but here's to hoping you are wrong...

If you think the program is bad now, wait till next year when we lose the only center who played any significant minutes. We will be hurting inside and still struggling at point guard.

If you think the program is bad now, wait till next year when we lose the only center who played any significant minutes. We will be hurting inside and still struggling at point guard.

That's when we will fire Holly. When we're totally wrecked.

I said it last year.
The top recruiting class has ONLY exposed Holly.
It should be obvious to even the casual observer. She CAN NOT Coach.

Even the most basic tenant of CPS Basketball is how bad of shape these girls are in. That is why they start out the game and 2nd half well. They are miserably OUT of shape.

My biggest fear is that Filmer will NOT do anything.
Unfortunately the reason..............he doesn't really give a crap about Womens Sports. He already has she has had a good year....what is all the FUSS about......LIKE I said, he doesn't get it.

That's when we will fire Holly. When we're totally wrecked.

It probably will take missing the NCAA tournament to bring about a change. Holly is recruiting just a little too well for that to happen. They can win 22-25 games a season on sheer talent alone.

I said it last year.
The top recruiting class has ONLY exposed Holly.
It should be obvious to even the casual observer. She CAN NOT Coach.

Even the most basic tenant of CPS Basketball is how bad of shape these girls are in. That is why they start out the game and 2nd half well. They are miserably OUT of shape.

My biggest fear is that Filmer will NOT do anything.
Unfortunately the reason..............he doesn't really give a crap about Womens Sports. He already has she has had a good year....what is all the FUSS about......LIKE I said, he doesn't get it.

Sorry but that isn't true at all. His youngest daughter Allison was on the softball team. He is still a regular at the games. He just doesn't give a crap about firing his friends.

It probably will take missing the NCAA tournament to bring about a change. Holly is recruiting just a little too well for that to happen. They can win 22-25 games a season on sheer talent alone.

But how long will that last if UT continues to under perform? Pat Summitt's legend and UT's past history will fade. Ten years w/o a final 4 and two early outs in a row.
Sooner or later top recruits are going to opt for a school where the coaching staff will help them grow their skills and compete on a national level.

But how long will that last if UT continues to under perform? Ten years w/o a final 4 and two early outs in a row.
Sooner or later top recruits are going to opt for a school where the coaching staff will help them grow their skills and compete on a national level.

You would think so but she has under performed from the start. Westbrook and co. still chose to come here.

If Fulmer is to nice a guy to tell her she is fired then, that bum Currie can do it since he is still getting paid

VN Store

Back