That Call Though...

Tennessee layup gets stuck in net, refs disallow it

I've never seen such a call blown at this level that defies both the rule book and reasonable intelligence. Even had the benefit of review, I'd love to hear their explanation.

That call was baffling. Since it was a blow-out in the end, this ref gaffe will probably be forgotten but I hope the NCAA makes some kind of mea culpa statement. A miscall like that could be crucial in a close game.

The refs even had replay and still blew it. I have no idea what their rationales could have been. What did they say to the coaches? REF: Coach Warlick, the ball has to hit the floor after it passes through the rim to count as a core. CHW- that is not a rule! REF: there are rules? What are you talking about?

Reactions: 1 person
I always, always thought that the score occured when the ball passed through the hoop. The net, whether made of twine or chain was there only to aid seeing the ball pass through. The ball clearly was through the hoop before catching in a stiff net.

The NCAA has to clarify this crossgoggleation.

Then by all means a player should be able to push all balls back out of said basket after they pass the rim portion... therefore no points. Just keep the tallest player under the basket and push out all balls that enter the basket.

My guess is that the rule must be that the ball pass through the net -- meaning completely through it and out the bottom completely and not just deeply into it -- for it to count as a score.

Totally incompetent call and anyone with common sense should know better. You can't disallow a basket that goes through the rim regardless of the net.

Reactions: 2 people
Then by all means a player should be able to push all balls back out of said basket after they pass the rim portion... therefore no points. Just keep the tallest player under the basket and push out all balls that enter the basket.

Can you say goal tending boys and girls? :)

Yes, it was a bad call. From the rulebook (men's game at least):

Section 5 Art. 2. A goal is made when:
a. A live ball that is not a throw-in enters the basket from above and remains
in or passes through the basket; or

So if it doesn't clear the net, it is still a made basket.

My guess is that the rule must be that the ball pass through the net -- meaning completely through it and out the bottom completely and not just deeply into it -- for it to count as a score.

No need to guess. From the NCCA rule book:

Art. 2.
A goal is made when: A live ball that is not a throw-in enters the basket from above and remains
in or passes through the basket; or b� A free throw enters the basket from above and remains in or
passes through the basket�

So the ambiguity lies in the interpretation of "passes through the basket." The refs obviously considered the basket to include the net, rather than the rim. The NCAA should clarify what constitutes "passing through the basket." [Perhaps even updating the terminology since peach baskets are not widely used in the NCAA basketball games anymore]

But, if the refs' interpretation of the rule stands, it opens the way for home teams to never lose a game. At the start each half, the home team just needs to attach a very restrictive net to the opposing team's hoop and Voila! none of their "made" shots count!

I hadn't seen the rule, but you all are right. The rule is not the least bit ambiguous. It was DEFINITELY a basket.

I would like for Tennessee to contest the final score. Even though that basket made no difference in in whether the Lady Vols won or lost, but it very well COULD have. The official NCAA records should reflect the corrected score.

The refs in women's basketball are turrrrrible. Almost unwatchable. They blow whistles on everything. Ruins any flow to the game.

I know someone is going to say its the same in the mens, but it doesn't even compare.

Reactions: 2 people
If Naismith were deciding it would be a basket.The original game was played with a peach basket,therefore all made baskets remained in the basket,until someone retrieved it!

hmmmmm so was it a regulation net ? :pilot:

I have seen a ball hang in the net a hundred times and a player will jump and knock it out or on through. Happens a lot with new nets. Those stupid refs even went to the camera and saw the same thing every time. That woman who was so adamant was pulling a Teddy Valentine and the NCAA should do to her the same thing.

I always, always thought that the score occured when the ball passed through the hoop. The net, whether made of twine or chain was there only to aid seeing the ball pass through. The ball clearly was through the hoop before catching in a stiff net.

The NCAA has to clarify this crossgoggleation.

Interesting though since the Liberty player jumped up and hit the ball, where it was stuck, out of the net. Since the shot had definitely broken the arc of the shot, wouldn’t that be goal tending? Goal allowed. So by what convoluted reasoning did they ever disallow the points? Made a good show though; we watched replay when we got home - the faces at the table, the commentators’ remarks, Holly’s reaction, and best of all....Mercedes’ facial expression 😂😂😂😂😂.

VN Store

Back