Against Oregon State...

lvocd

... If I were Holly I'd ask Mercedes to go hard for short spurts of no more than 3 minutes -- 4 if she's got unusually high energy/stamina that day -- and then keep the promise to give her at least 2 to 3 minutes off, or more if Cheridene/Casi are playing lights out.

Managing stamina among the bigs, I think, is vital going forward. If they KNOW they only have to go full-out in brief spurts then they won't need to take plays off in order to conserve energy.

Obviously the guards need to take care of the ball, and they ALL need to become obsessed with rebounding on both ends, but I truly believe the bigs are going to need to stay fresh and make a high percentage of putbacks.

Playing Oregon State may hring out some nerves for not only our Oregon natives, but Ore.State players as well. Our players are going to want to prove to the whole state of Oregon that they made a good decision coming to Tennessee, and the Oregon State players are going want to show our players what they missed out on. Both scenarios could cause tight play.

The first half could either be a masterpiece, or a hot mess -- for either team.

Go Lady Vols!

Reactions: 3 people
We need a lot better point guard play to win can't have ten turnovers and 5 missed free throws like today this game could depend on those possessions and attempts.

Oregon State versus Tennessee tidbit... Katie McWilliams played two years with Evina Westbrook at South Salem and won a state championship together with Katie's dad coaching them. So a little reunion going on for Sunday's game. Oregon State is probably the best 6 seed I've seen in a while. They split with Oregon and play some of the best disciplined defense you'll see... and they have the best 3pt % in the country so offensively they will be a challenge. Our full court pressure will give them fits though and while we have our shortcomings on defense we will be much better in transition defense than WKU was today and that helped Oregon State have one of their better offensive outputs this year. They have been known to become stagnant on offense, especially early on in games.

Reactions: 2 people
Apparently we have already beaten then. My ut app sent me the score against liberty, then an hour later sent the same score against oregon st.

Reactions: 1 person
... If I were Holly I'd ask Mercedes to go hard for short spurts of no more than 3 minutes -- 4 if she's got unusually high energy/stamina that day -- and then keep the promise to give her at least 2 to 3 minutes off, or more if Cheridene/Casi are playing lights out.

Managing stamina among the bigs, I think, is vital going forward. If they KNOW they only have to go full-out in brief spurts then they won't need to take plays off in order to conserve energy.

Obviously the guards need to take care of the ball, and they ALL need to become obsessed with rebounding on both ends, but I truly believe the bigs are going to need to stay fresh and make a high percentage of putbacks.

Playing Oregon State may hring out some nerves for not only our Oregon natives, but Ore.State players as well. Our players are going to want to prove to the whole state of Oregon that they made a good decision coming to Tennessee, and the Oregon State players are going want to show our players what they missed out on. Both scenarios could cause tight play.

The first half could either be a masterpiece, or a hot mess -- for either team.

Go Lady Vols!

Greene played well and should definitely get more minutes especially if it results in Russell scraping for rebounds. If we win tomorrow, Holly needs to lock Westbrook in the gym and make her shoot free throws. Her performance at the foul line and her turnovers are going to end all tourney hopes.

Reactions: 4 people
Greene played well and should definitely get more minutes especially if it results in Russell scraping for rebounds. If we win tomorrow, Holly needs to lock Westbrook in the gym and make her shoot free throws. Her performance at the foul line and her turnovers are going to end all tourney hopes.

In the second half yesterday, the team appeared to be playing just to have fun. The result was the best half of basketball the Lady Vols have played in the last few years. Oh how I wish they would play like that every game. They still had way to many missed lay up and turnovers, but they discarded the pressure and seem to not worry about trying to force their passes. Every player seem to take advantage of their opportunity to be involved in the progress of the game. Everyone seemed to be moving and the court opened up for them. Throw caution to the wind and have fun playing the game.

Reactions: 3 people
In the second half yesterday, the team appeared to be playing just to have fun. The result was the best half of basketball the Lady Vols have played in the last few years. Oh how I wish they would play like that every game. They still had way to many missed lay up and turnovers, but they discarded the pressure and seem to not worry about trying to force their passes. Every player seem to take advantage of their opportunity to be involved in the progress of the game. Everyone seemed to be moving and the court opened up for them. Throw caution to the wind and have fun playing the game.

For me, the second half was sooo much fun to watch, but, strangely, also gave me moments of sadness mixed in. And I think it was because my brain was struggling to understand why so many of the low points in the season -- the total collapses -- couldn't have been more competitive and fun.

I really LOVE Green's game and have for a long time wanted her to be a main piece in our offense. She's tough and has a strong sense of where she needs to be to get in on the action.

But against Oregon State, because Mercedes is from Oregon and will want sooooo very much to have a good game, my heart wants desperately for Russell to play so well that it'll be a lifetime GREAT memory for her. And yes, the same for Jaime and Evina!

I still think Holly needs to manage Russell's time wisely, though, unless it is apparent that she's having a magical energy/performance day and can play for longer stretches. As a former athlete I can attest to having those kinds of days when you feel so strong and powerful and like you don't need any stinkin' rest. But then there are the "other" days that can happen, too. I hope and pray that NO Lady Vol has one of those tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 people
For me, the second half was sooo much fun to watch, but, strangely, also gave me moments of sadness mixed in. And I think it was because my brain was struggling to understand why so many of the low points in the season -- the total collapses -- couldn't have been more competitive and fun.

I really LOVE Green's game and have for a long time wanted her to be a main piece in our offense. She's tough and has a strong sense of where she needs to be to get in on the action.

But against Oregon State, because Mercedes is from Oregon and will want sooooo very much to have a good game, my heart wants desperately for Russell to play so well that it'll be a lifetime GREAT memory for her. And yes, the same for Jaime and Evina!

I still think Holly needs to manage Russell's time wisely, though, unless it is apparent that she's having a magical energy/performance day and can play for longer stretches. As a former athlete I can attest to having those kinds of days when you feel so strong and powerful and like you don't need any stinkin' rest. But then there are the "other" days that can happen, too. I hope and pray that NO Lady Vol has one of those tomorrow.

It is true that the LVs played much better in the 2nd half but, on the other side, Liberty was like a mediocre track runner who goes out way too fast in an elite field. For the early part of the race, the over matched competitor can stay up with the leaders but then will dramatically falls apart. I give Liberty credit for coming out really pumped up and making it hard for the LVs during the first 20 minutes.

However, this game offers no diagnostics about the LVs whatsoever other than they are way better than a 14 seed.

Last edited:
Oregon State versus Tennessee tidbit... Katie McWilliams played two years with Evina Westbrook at South Salem and won a state championship together with Katie's dad coaching them. So a little reunion going on for Sunday's game. Oregon State is probably the best 6 seed I've seen in a while. They split with Oregon and play some of the best disciplined defense you'll see... and they have the best 3pt % in the country so offensively they will be a challenge. Our full court pressure will give them fits though and while we have our shortcomings on defense we will be much better in transition defense than WKU was today and that helped Oregon State have one of their better offensive outputs this year. They have been known to become stagnant on offense, especially early on in games.

Thanks for input .I watched the OSU game yesterday and if they play that well against us a loss is very probable.If you are correct and our full court press will bother them and we can create offense from the defense that will be our savior because our offense is most effective in a fast tempo,open court situation

Reactions: 1 person
It is true that the LVs played much better in the 2nd half but, on the other side, Liberty was a mediocre track runner who goes out way to fast in an elite field. For tjhe early part of the race, the over matched competitor can stay up with the leaders and then dramatically falls apart. I give Liberty credit for coming out really pumped and making it hard for the LVs for the first 20 minutes.

However, this game offers no diagnostics about the LVs whatsoever other than they are way better than a 14 seed.

Agree on all points ^^^^

Green is a rebounding machine......Need to play her more imo because she goes after the boards more diligently than any other Lady Vol.

VN Store

Back