Coach.......stop the Insanity

Advol

Please do yourself and the Lady Vol's a favor and retire graciously.
The job fell into you lap. No one can blame you for taking it. But you can be blamed for taking the Program to all time lows.
Retire, fund raise, ride that Harley and enjoy life. Let some one else attempt to get this thing fixed.
You have given your ALL. Let it go. To do otherwise would be insane.

Reactions: 31 people
Program all time lows ... Time for a history lesson. This should be good, hope I don't lose any of ya!

Tennessee Lady Vol Basketball didn't really start until 1960.
So what did Lady Vol basketball look like? I'm sure just undefeated seasons right?
Sadly no, the program started out at a all time low. Please quote me on this. :)
Joan Cronan was the first coach in 1960 and went 8–10 over two seasons before being replaced by Margaret Hutson, who coached for four years with a 60–18 record.

Then the world changed when Pat Summitt came. The rest is history. But I must point out it wasn't SEC championships and National Champions in her first 8 years. In the 1974–1975 season, Pat Summitt took over a 25–2 Lady Vols team. In her opening season, the Lady Vols won the TCWSF Eastern District Championship for the third straight year. (Coach Summitt's first though) However, the team finished only 4th overall in the TCWSF (they had been 2nd the previous two years), and were not invited to the AIAW Women's Basketball Tournament. After finishing 16–11 her second season, Head directed two 20-win teams, winning back-to-back AIAW Region-II championships. 1978 included the Lady Vols defeating 3-time AIAW champion Delta State by 20, and Tennessee's first number one ranking.1978 saw the Lady Vols participate in their first AIAW Final Four, where they finished 3rd. Summitt ended the 1970s by winning the first ever SEC tournament, and returning to the Final Four, where they finished runner-up to Old Dominion, 68–53.

So, Pat Summitt didn't win an SEC until 1980 ... in her 6th year.

Let's talk National Championships ....
Coach Summitt didn't when her first national championship until 1987 .... whoa!
Yes that's right, you heard it hear first (I say first because most of you seem to not know this) I'm not good at math so someone help me ... Coach Summitt didn't win her first National Championship until 1987, and she started coaching the 74-75' season ... you do the math!

Well ... Let's talk about Coach of the Year .. I mean come on this is Pat Summit!!!!
Welp, that award didn't come until 1983. (Please hold all gasp until the end)

I know facts don't sit well with most of you but try and stay with me.

Now let's talk about the dreaded awful, how could she ever, Holly Warlick!!! (I know most of you are yelling with your pitch forks at this moment but please, show some restraint)

Like Coach Pat Summitt, Warlick took over a team that was some what successful team. So Warlick, like coach Summitt, had some good stuff to work with. So naturally, Warlick in her first season finished 1st the SEC and made it to the elite 8 in the tournament.
Then, after her first year she was awarded the Maggie Dixon Award, which is awarded to the coach with the best performance in their rookie year as a head coach. (I can't believe it either, how could they? Don't they know?)

Warlick is in the final piece of her 6 year as head coach. In these 6 years, she hasn't complied a losing record ever, finished every season 20+ wins, 3 elite 8's, and two other ncaa tournaments as sweet 16 and 2nd round exits.

So ... back to the "all time lows" - thinking about just the facts. Warlick isn't anywhere near taking the lady vols to all time lows. She would have to have 2 losing back to back seasons to even have that idea considered. I understand that most of you on here still have your pitch forks ready to poke people and your fire lanterns ready to burn something but I would hold off on that for a bit.

History does state that Coach Summitt made it to her first final four in her 3rd year, (granted only 16 teams were allowed to play, regardless, it's still a wonderful accomplishment) But Coach Summitt didn't win her first national championship until 13 years of coaching.

Does Coach Holly Warlick not get that same amount of time and respect that Coach Summitt got?

If we followed the logic that most of you are using - Coach Pat Summitt should of been fired because it took her 13 years to win a national championship. I'm probably crazy for saying this but I just think that we need to put the pitch forks away and blow out the fire.

Reactions: 9 people
Program all time lows ... Time for a history lesson. This should be good, hope I don't lose any of ya!

So what did Lady Vol basketball look like? I'm sure just undefeated seasons right?
Sadly no, the program started out at a all time low. Please quote me on this. :)
Joan Cronan was the first coach in 1960 and went 8–10 over two seasons before being replaced by Margaret Hutson, who coached for four years with a 60–18 record.

Then the world changed when Pat Summitt came. The rest is history. But I must point out it wasn't SEC championships and National Champions in her first 8 years. In the 1974–1975 season, Pat Summitt took over a 25–2 Lady Vols team. In her opening season, the Lady Vols won the TCWSF Eastern District Championship for the third straight year. (Coach Summitt's first though) However, the team finished only 4th overall in the TCWSF (they had been 2nd the previous two years), and were not invited to the AIAW Women's Basketball Tournament. After finishing 16–11 her second season, Head directed two 20-win teams, winning back-to-back AIAW Region-II championships. 1978 included the Lady Vols defeating 3-time AIAW champion Delta State by 20, and Tennessee's first number one ranking.1978 saw the Lady Vols participate in their first AIAW Final Four, where they finished 3rd. Summitt ended the 1970s by winning the first ever SEC tournament, and returning to the Final Four, where they finished runner-up to Old Dominion, 68–53.

Yes that's right, you heard it hear first (I say first because most of you seem to not know this) I'm not good at math so someone help me ... Coach Summitt didn't win her first National Championship until 1987, and she started coaching the 74-75' season ... you do the math!

Well ... Let's talk about Coach of the Year .. I mean come on this is Pat Summit!!!!

Now let's talk about the dreaded awful, how could she ever, Holly Warlick!!! (I know most of you are yelling with your pitch forks at this moment but please, show some restraint)

Like Coach Pat Summitt, Warlick took over a team that was some what successful team. So Warlick, like coach Summitt, had some good stuff to work with. So naturally, Warlick in her first season finished 1st the SEC and made it to the elite 8 in the tournament.
Then, after her first year she was awarded the Maggie Dixon Award, which is awarded to the coach with the best performance in their rookie year as a head coach. (I can't believe it either, how could they? Don't they know?)

Warlick is in the final piece of her 6 year as head coach. In these 6 years, she hasn't complied a losing record ever, finished every season 20+ wins, 3 elite 8's, and two other ncaa tournaments as sweet 16 and 2nd round exits.

So ... back to the "all time lows" - thinking about just the facts. Warlick isn't anywhere near taking the lady vols to all time lows. She would have to have 2 losing back to back seasons to even have that idea considered. I understand that most of you on here still have your pitch forks ready to poke people and your fire lanterns ready to burn something but I would hold off on that for a bit.

History does state that Coach Summitt made it to her first final four in her 3rd year, (granted only 16 teams were allowed to play, regardless, it's still a wonderful accomplishment) But Coach Summitt didn't win her first national championship until 13 years of coaching.

Does Coach Holly Warlick not get that same amount of time and respect that Coach Summitt got?

If we followed the logic that most of you are using - Coach Pat Summitt should of been fired because it took her 13 years to win a national championship. I'm probably crazy for saying this but I just think that we need to put the pitch forks away and blow out the fire.

Did Pat start with McDonald's All Americans everywhere on her roster? If so your logic is sound.

Reactions: 23 people
I wonder if Coach Summitt had coached under a Hall of Fame coach for umpteen years before becoming head coach?

I wonder if Coach Summitt had the the recruits Holly has had when she started?

I wonder if Coach Summitt was unable to coach up her players and get them to play together as a team like Holly has been unable to in her tenure here?

I wonder how long we will give our current coach time to show any progression in her ability to be a championship caliber coach.

Gee, I wonder if there are any other coaching candidates out there that could be more successful than Holly given all the advantages she has enjoyed?

I wonder.

Reactions: 18 people
Maybe CHW will do what's best for the program like Andy Kennedy did at ole miss. Thing is she seems to have the support of CPF.

Andy Kennedy's contract wasn't extended. Matt Insell was fired. Ole Miss did what was best for Ole Miss.

Reactions: 3 people

You are crazy. Women's college basketball is a shell of what it was in the 70's and 80's, it's not even comparable. Pat Summit began coaching at age 23 in an era where virtually no one followed or cared about women's basketball. She built the program into a national power. There is a huge difference between asking someone to build a national program versus maintaining one with all of the advantages and foundation already in place. Holly Warlick had been an assistant coach for 30 years. Pat Summit went straight from playing to head coach.

Reactions: 7 people

I appreciate all of the time you spent in this history lesson. I did not hear who Pat was an assistant coach for many years? You know someone who could teach you the the game and how to motivate young women and help them develop basketball skills. But you did leave out of your history lesson how Pat had to drive the bus and wash uniforms!

MAYBE HOLLY CAN DO THOSE TASKS BETTER THAN COACHING? Just saying 😈

Reactions: 11 people
I would be for hiring another coach if we are prepared to hire someone who is going to get the women back to the top or in the final 4 regularly.Who is that? IMO Holly took the worst job in the NCAA womens game,and that was following Pat Head Summitt. Is Holly a capable coach,I don't really know.Her teams are really inconsistent,and that seems to me to make you think the players don't fully buy in to her plan.I have tried to imagine who could do what I have suggested,and I don't have a real clue who it would be.Just don't make the move until we have someone better! JMO

Reactions: 1 person
The AD can choose not to extend her contract and she will have one more season and it will be over. When Fulmer extends her contract at the end of the season guess we can all shut up and move on about Holly. I agree she should not coach anymore but since none of us are in a position of power to do anything about it guess we'll live with the AD's decision.

It would have been good if your audience was made up of 2nd graders.

Reactions: 6 people
Did Pat start with McDonald's All Americans everywhere on her roster? If so your logic is sound.

Did they have players who were deemed “McDonald’s All Americans” back then... or the equivilant?

Asking because I sincerely don’t know.

One of the Holly-worshippers had to use lotsa words in a pointless vent. You are correct to point out the faulty logic. :hi:

Did the name Tennessee Lady Vols resonate like a Sonic boom in the ears of every top recruit in the nation when she took over? Hard to believe someone would actually expect a decade to pass before our new coach could lead us to elite status again ... after she took over one of the absolute Top 2 programs nationally. She didn't take over a team that had a "real good record 1 year before".

But, I suspect Phil will extend anyway to keep the blue hairs happy that "Pat's wishes we're honored". Once we're solidly mid-pack SEC in reputation years from now, many of them will be dead and gone. Then someone with a winning attitude will get the chance to make a once great program elite again with a giant uphill climb. Should be a glorious ride. :-/

The AD can choose not to extend her contract and she will have one more season and it will be over. When Fulmer extends her contract at the end of the season guess we can all shut up and move on about Holly. I agree she should not coach anymore but since none of us are in a position of power to do anything about it guess we'll live with the AD's decision.

Correct, this is what it comes down to. My feeling is Fulmer will extend the contract for 1 or 2 years and then we will know for sure that the administration is going to be happy enough with 20 plus wins with an elite 8 mixed in every once in a while.

I may be the only one to remember this crazy chick, but all that I can think of when I saw this thread was...

hQSIUV4.jpg

It wasn't too long ago this board use to talk about if we would make the final 4...Now, we wonder if we will make the sweet 16.

That says it all......

Reactions: 7 people
It wasn't too long ago this board use to talk about if we would make the final 4...Now, we wonder if we will make the sweet 16.

That says it all......

No kidding. We've got guys doing comps between Pat and Holly friggin Warlick.

So Holly is just like Pat Summitt cuz she hasn't won yet?

That makes total sense.

First - she needs to retire. Second - she needs fired. But neither will probably happen.

Holly has 13 months left on her contract. Phil could extend her after the season, especially if she delivers another top recruiting class. USCe and MSU may not be as good next season. So she could survive by having more talent than anybody else. Not hard to do in women's basketball. The new measurement is winning the SEC, not winning NC's. Those days are gone as long as she is there.

But this is Butch Jones all over again. At some point she/they will totally crater and the rebuild with a real coach that's a winner will be much harder to accomplish if they do not pull the plug now or after next season.

Sorry to say some seem to defend Holly herself instead of her coaching ability.Holly had her chance and is not going to get it done.Face the facts.

VN Store

Back