Should Vic be blamed

Benionsopinion

Watched most of the SEC Championship game with sound muted. I did not want to hear more love fest for Wilson. As the game went on,and MSU couldn't hit lay ups or open jump shots or three pointers,I couldn't help wondering if Vic would catch the vitriol for his team's ineptness like Holly did on Friday. He has seemed to be the epitome of the coach that many on Volnation would want coaching the Lady Vols. How about it,posters? Does he get the blame for his team's performance as Holly did? This is a question concerning only one game,not their bodies of work over the last few years.
Sometimes teams have games where they can't throw a ball into the ocean,and SC ran into two of them this tourney.
I think a coaching change is warranted for the Lady Vols,but some of the results on the floor do not give the players a pass.

Reactions: 8 people
Not blamed for losing to a top ten team. If he had lost to buma at home then he would need a lot of blame. This game was a terrible shooting game for Miss St 34.5 percent they had the shots didn't make many.

Reactions: 3 people
Not blamed for losing to a top ten team. If he had lost to buma at home then he would need a lot of blame. This game was a terrible shooting game for Miss St 34.5 percent they had the shots didn't make many.

Don't blame a great coach when they loose to a good team.

Reactions: 1 person
Watched most of the SEC Championship game with sound muted. I did not want to hear more love fest for Wilson. As the game went on,and MSU couldn't hit lay ups or open jump shots or three pointers,I couldn't help wondering if Vic would catch the vitriol for his team's ineptness like Holly did on Friday. He has seemed to be the epitome of the coach that many on Volnation would want coaching the Lady Vols. How about it,posters? Does he get the blame for his team's performance as Holly did? This is a question concerning only one game,not their bodies of work over the last few years.
Sometimes teams have games where they can't throw a ball into the ocean,and SC ran into two of them this tourney.
I think a coaching change is warranted for the Lady Vols,but some of the results on the floor do not give the players a pass.

Yes and no. Coaches and players share the responsibility. However, he is going to be given (and should be) more grace when you are doing what he is without 6 McDonald All Americans on his roster.

Reactions: 7 people
To add if we had only lost to top rated teams I think the season would be more acceptable. The loss to Bama and LSU were just bad and the near misses vs Auburn, Auburn again and Arkansas were embarrassing performances. You have to beat all the bad teams because you are going to lose to some of the rated teams eventually.

Reactions: 1 person

This is like comparing apples to oranges to me. They've lost one game this year and pummeled us at home. They've had impressive wins and beat UCONN last year in the final four. There's no doubt to me that Schaeffer is better than Warlick.

Reactions: 2 people
regardless about Vic , Holly sucks. I would take him 7 days a week over Holly. He lost 1 game

This is like comparing apples to oranges to me. They've lost one game this year and pummeled us at home. They've had impressive wins and beat UCONN last year in the final four. There's no doubt to me that Schaeffer is better than Warlick.

YEP...but facts & logic mean little to the Holly-worshippers. :blink:

Reactions: 7 people
regardless about Vic , Holly sucks. I would take him 7 days a week over Holly. He lost 1 game

Gave you a like and i 100% agree. I like others never and in this case for sure listen to the dawn and Wilson lovefest on the air. You would think they both are Gods give to basketball.
I really believe that this lose is going to benefit MSSate because it will get the winning streak pressure off their mind. Make no mistake about it Vivians is the straw that stirs their drink and McGowan next year will not be the same. If they do not get it this year then it may be awhile and Vic will have to really work this team hard. I have no idea about their recruiting but i am sure it is no where what we have but he will get the most out of those 3 and 4 stars as anyone can. Yes i would swap HW in a heartbeat, however you will know what HW future looks like when her contract talks come up after the tourney. I don't think PF and Davenport gives a rats azz about womens athletics at all, JMHO as always!:whistling::banghead2::boxing2::worship::alien:

Love for Wilson was very much warranted. She played remarkably in this tournament and showed what a leader does on the court. I'm a Lady Vol fan, but I know when to give props to other players, teams, and coaches. I don't feel I have to degrade others to make my team seem better; just very bitter to do that. Holly is a horrible head coach, Vic coaches a team that nearly went undefeated and came up against a very determined team with an elite leader. Miss. State never gave up in that game, Holly's teams nearly always quit when they're down, which is a shame for a Lady Vol team.

Reactions: 9 people
Gave you a like and i 100% agree. I like others never and in this case for sure listen to the dawn and Wilson lovefest on the air. You would think they both are Gods give to basketball.
I really believe that this lose is going to benefit MSSate because it will get the winning streak pressure off their mind. Make no mistake about it Vivians is the straw that stirs their drink and McGowan next year will not be the same. If they do not get it this year then it may be awhile and Vic will have to really work this team hard. I have no idea about their recruiting but i am sure it is no where what we have but he will get the most out of those 3 and 4 stars as anyone can. Yes i would swap HW in a heartbeat, however you will know what HW future looks like when her contract talks come up after the tourney. I don't think PF and Davenport gives a rats azz about womens athletics at all, JMHO as always!:whistling::banghead2::boxing2::worship::alien:

This is what it all comes down to but we are getting ready to find out just how bad UT wants to win when Hollys contract is up , which is like 3 years ago when she should of been fired

Love for Wilson was very much warranted. She played remarkably in this tournament and showed what a leader does on the court. I'm a Lady Vol fan, but I know when to give props to other players, teams, and coaches. I don't feel I have to degrade others to make my team seem better; just very bitter to do that. Holly is a horrible head coach, Vic coaches a team that nearly went undefeated and came up against a very determined team with an elite leader. Miss. State never gave up in that game, Holly's teams nearly always quit when they're down, which is a shame for a Lady Vol team.

That's ok everyone does not have to participate in such love fest!

Vic Schaefer faces less criticism quite simply because he doesn't deserve much, if any, criticism. He was voted DESERVEDLY SO as the SEC Coach of the year. He has AT BEST the 3rd most talented team on paper in the SEC. Looking at the Seniors, out of high school Wilson (SC) was #1, Russell (TN) was # 1, Nared (TN) was #6, and Vivians (MS) was #24. If we were to continue examining the next best players on all those teams, Mississippi State, player for player, would finish last of those 3 teams this year and every year before this year. Yet this season and the last two seasons relative to Tennessee, he has outperformed Tennessee.

Vic Schaefer is a much better coach IMO than Dawn Staley and Dawn Staley is a much better coach IMO than Holly. Vic gets close to the best and most from his players. Holly just doesn't. How many more seasons do some of you need to see to realize that? Russell comes in arguably the #1 player in the country and doesn't even make top 5 in the SEC, let alone the country.

Tonight Mississippi State faced a team playing well, arguably a more "talented" team, and they didn't play as well as they usually do. Despite that they were still competitive and the game was in doubt until the last 80 to 90 seconds. No one is going to rush jump Vic's case. Many of US, myself included, gave Holly the benefit of the doubt for a long time. I didn't hop on the bandwagon until the middle of the 2015-2016 season. It was clear to me by then that Holly had enough time to prove she could do that job and that she didn't have it. Every year since then has been an exclamation point reinforcing that point.

Reactions: 6 people
this statement may actually mean more to AD Fulmer than us regular Holly fans...he's really the one you have to convince...:)

GO LADY VOLS!
Facts! I keep telling these people to make their voice heard, because crying on here just isn’t going to get it done. 😂

Last edited:
From Sports Source Holly has 13 months left on her contract and has a top recruiting class coming in again next season......buckle up sports fans.

Last edited:

Vic has done three times more than Holly with far less talent. Count the number of 5 stars we have had versus what Vic has had. He ran into a hot team and his players couldn’t hit their butts with both their hands. Only one loss and to a top program, it would be crazy to throw Vic under the bus. If you throw him under a bus, what are you going to do with Holly, drop her off the top of Sears Tower?

Looking at only their games against SC this weekend, there wasn't much to differentiate Miss St from Tenn. I can't blame Holly any more than Vic for her/his team being unable to hit the broad side of a barn. Nor can I give players a pass, specifically a senior who took about 75% of the game off while playing in her final SECT.

However, considering the past several years, this type of performance has occurred far more often under CHW than Vic. There's no denying that either.

Don't blame a great coach when they loose to a good team.

MSU lost to the same team the Lady Vols did on Friday night. Yesterday, MSU missed the same exact type shots Lady Vols missed in Friday’s game. Why isn’t that Schaefer’s fault if the LV’s missed shots are Holly’s fault?

By the way, it’s “lose,” not “loose.” Teams don’t “loose” games, they “lose” them.

MSU lost to the same team the Lady Vols did on Friday night. Yesterday, MSU missed the same exact type shots Lady Vols missed in Friday’s game. Why isn’t that Schaefer’s fault if the LV’s missed shots are Holly’s fault?

By the way, it’s “lose,” not “loose.” Teams don’t “loose” games, they “lose” them.

Yes MSU missed a lot of shots, But with the lady vols this has been a problem since day one with Holly, Also maybe Holly should have watch the Baylor game yesterday Kim made sure her freshmen pg played under control and hit open shots and Alexis Morris did just that. fgm-fga 7-9 3pt fgm-fga 2-3 stl 3 to 3 and 18 pts

SCAR beat MSU by the same 11-pt margin as they beat the LVs. And the LVs scored 11 points more than MSU. The LVs have failed to bring their full effort and focus many times this season and have squandered many opportunities, including the SEC tournament. There's no excuse for missing as many layups and jumpers as the LVs did in the tournament games. I'm sure Vic is saying the same thing about MSU.

SCAR is a good team with A'ja Wilson on the floor, but they've gotten lucky when it matters. They capitalize on that; other teams don't.

Looking at only their games against SC this weekend, there wasn't much to differentiate Miss St from Tenn. I can't blame Holly any more than Vic for her/his team being unable to hit the broad side of a barn. Nor can I give players a pass, specifically a senior who took about 75% of the game off while playing in her final SECT.

However, considering the past several years, this type of performance has occurred far more often under CHW than Vic. There's no denying that either.

FrozenLVFan,I always enjoy your posts. Thanks for answering the question I posted which was for only one game. Most disregarded that and went with entire bodies of work,which was not the intent. Just wanted to see if Vic would get the blame for his team's shooting woes as Holly did. As I said,sometimes teams have games like this and coaches should not be blamed for poor shooting as Holly was. Vic received some criticism,with always a"but" about how he is a better coach.

Reactions: 6 people
Dawn inherited a terrible program with no following. The first year (2009) she went 10-18. She improved her win total every year (14,18,25) and Wilson did not come along until 2014 the year after we went to the sweet sixteen. She did it without any McDonald's All-Americans. Vic pretty much followed her blueprint and now they are both elite coaches, coaching successful programs. Staley has changed lineups because of injuries the last two years and still won. Wilson could probably take any program to a higher level but you have to give Dawn her dues. The girl can coach....

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back