What went wrong

Texas

Aside from Holly, I feel like basing the entire offense around Mercedes Russell is fool’s gold. She doesn’t move, she doesn’t demand the ball, she has one move that she uses 97% of the time. Little wonder come the end of the season and everything is collapsing in on itself. May be time to diversify.

Reactions: 9 people
Hey Texas,

In the thread on the South Carolina game, you will find many, many posts on the topic of Mercedes and the pluses and minuses of her overall game. It is much better board etiquette to participate in the ongoing conversation rather than starting a new thread for every thought that pops into your head.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Aside from Holly, I feel like basing the entire offense around Mercedes Russell is fool’s gold. She doesn’t move, she doesn’t demand the ball, she has one move that she uses 97% of the time. Little wonder come the end of the season and everything is collapsing in on itself. May be time to diversify.

That is where a great coach comes in. Did you guys remember when Uconn Brennan.S's first 10 games as a freshman? She was averaging half point.. most of her games was zero point and I watched Geno kept her on the bench, yelled at her while on the bench and woke her up..By the time they play 15 games she's up scoring 12point and went from there.

Reactions: 1 person
That is where a great coach comes in. Did you guys remember when Uconn Brennan.S's first 10 games as a freshman? She was averaging half point.. most of her games was zero point and I watched Geno kept her on the bench, yelled at her while on the bench and woke her up..By the time they play 15 games she's up scoring 12point and went from there.

Stewart was a beast her freshman year those first ten games. Not sure what player you were watching.

Reactions: 3 people
Hey Texas,

In the thread on the South Carolina game, you will find many, many posts on the topic of Mercedes and the pluses and minuses of her overall game. It is much better board etiquette to participate in the ongoing conversation rather than starting a new thread for every thought that pops into your head.

I wanted it to be specifically about the folly of the title of this post as opposed to the myriad ways in which Holly has come up short. I wanted to encourage discourse regarding alternative approaches to the Vols play over random FAHR Holly posts.

On a side note, thank you for your opinions on board etiquette, however I suggest next time you choose to provide counsel to a new member, you do it without being rude. I obviously don’t know the board etiquette of discourse according to you, but I recognize general boorish behavior. so How about you attend to your own “etiquette” issues.

Reactions: 19 people
I wanted it to be specifically about the folly of the title of this post as opposed to the myriad ways in which Holly has come up short. I wanted to encourage discourse regarding alternative approaches to the Vols play over random FAHR Holly posts.

On a side note, thank you for your opinions on board etiquette, however I suggest next time you choose to provide counsel to a new member, you do it without being rude. I obviously don’t know the board etiquette of discourse according to you, but I recognize general boorish behavior. so How about you attend to your own “etiquette” issues.

Per your original post, Russell has taken 17% of the LVs total field goals this season. Also note that 91% of the LV's field goals have been taken by the regular starting five plus Hayes. The offense is about as diversified as you are going to get with what is essentially a 6 person rotation. I am sure you feel deploying statistics is "boorish" but it makes for better dialogue if one actually takes a little time, you know, to educate themselves before posting. Such errors become more glaring when positioned in a new thread that covers issues being discussed in on going threads.

Game #1 vs. College of Charleston: 21 points
Game #2 vs. Texas A&M: 11 points
Game #3 vs. Wake Forest: 20 points
Game #4 vs. Marist: 20 points
Game #5 vs. Purdue: 17 points
Game #6 vs. Colgate: 12 points
Game #7 vs. Maryland: 13 points
Game #8 vs. Penn State: 7 points
Game #9 vs. Oakland: 21 points
Game #10 vs. Hartford: 27 points

I think your memory is on par with your mastery of English grammar, spelling, and syntax.

Reactions: 10 people
think you got the first three words of a good country song...what went wrong...:)

GO LADY VOLS!

Even though I agree with your post OP about Russell, the problem lies at the feet of CHW. Holly makes over 600k per year to get the best out of the players. She does not do that, simple, period. Time to move on. We still get 5 star players because of our tradition and 8 natl. champ. banners. It won't be that way forever. In my opinion, there are only a handful of coaches that would not leave their school for UT. The coach at Miss. St. would be my first phone call. Pay him a mil. and lets get on with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
Even though I agree with your post OP about Russell, the problem lies at the feet of CHW. Holly makes over 600k per year to get the best out of the players. She does not do that, simple, period. Time to move on. We still get 5 star players because of our tradition and 8 natl. champ. banners. It won't be that way forever. In my opinion, there are only a handful of coaches that would not leave their school for UT. The coach at Miss. St. would be my first phone call. Pay him a mil. and lets get on with it.
Hear here

Hey Texas,

There were only 8 threads with new posts yesterday. If you want to post a new thread, post a new thread. Anybody that doesn't like it can skip it. Just my opiniion:good!:

Reactions: 5 people
Per your original post, Russell has taken 17% of the LVs total field goals this season. Also note that 91% of the LV's field goals have been taken by the regular starting five plus Hayes. The offense is about as diversified as you are going to get with what is essentially a 6 person rotation. I am sure you feel deploying statistics is "boorish" but it makes for better dialogue if one actually takes a little time, you know, to educate themselves before posting. Such errors become more glaring when positioned in a new thread that covers issues being discussed in on going threads.

Damn.Really

Reactions: 2 people

One move
Not aggressive
Inability to diversify when needed

Sounds like no one is teaching and coaching.....

Here! Here! or to be more up to date (and using proper etiquette) DILLY! DILLY!

You are right about Stewart getting "coached" by Auriemma. They butted heads early on. I remember a Stewart interview when she said something like "He's trying to teach me basketball, I already know how to play basketball" Wrong answer and she figured it out pretty quick.
However, you are wrong about her scoring. In her 1st 10 games as a freshman she averaged 17 points, her lowest scoring game was 7 against Penn St. I think she was pulled from the starting lineup for the next couple of games.

Lacking consistency in senior leadership. Nared and Russell don’t have “if” Davis will have to take over next year

Don't get on the Kids, the person that is calling the shots, allowing the sort of play that you are talking about is the person to get on. Players are just players, they need leadership discipline and direction, how many folks are sitting on that bench and making money for this kind of play. Time to change the seating!

Reactions: 5 people
Don't get on the Kids, the person that is calling the shots, allowing the sort of play that you are talking about is the person to get on. Players are just players, they need leadership discipline and direction, how many folks are sitting on that bench and making money for this kind of play. Time to change the seating!

I agree completely

Reactions: 4 people

Nice trying to take the high road now. But, Boorish refers to your insulting statement regarding a new thread for every little idea that pops into my head. There is no way around the demeaning nature of that comment. And if I wanted to sit around and calculate or search for these stats I’d not need a discussion board. But that’s what this is. This is a fine topic that merits discussion, and it’s nice to see you apply some worthy bits of information rather than boorish insults. Thank you

On another note, why are you so opposed to a dedicated topic such as this? If you don’t like it-don’t read it. I for one have had enough of the 650 South Carolina posts droning on about Holly is good, Holly is bad.

Get over yourself.

VN Store

Back